Help with a HMP

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Help with a HMP

Post by LightWolf »

I converted some music earlier today, but ran into a problem with one particular track: It was about twice as slow as it should be.
Can anyone help? It was converted using MIDI2HMP.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LcMrUv ... sp=sharing (Midi included)
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Help with a HMP

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

Did you ever manage to fix this because I now have the exact same problem except it's with an .ogg.
Currently working on Descent: The Countdown Level 22 (Ogep'rgs) (Geometry)
Descent: The Countdown
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
Next level to be done: Level 23 (IO Sulphur Refinery)
The grand collection (Only after Descent: The Countdown)
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I did not ever fix it, however I suspect the problem has to do with something in the MIDI. It is possible the tempo was not set properly.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

I have found a hacky workaround which is to use a sound editor or similar and increase the speed of the track itself. It only required a 10% increase in speed to sound normal again. (I used audacity and found out it can export as .ogg, so now I can get any music from anywhere as long as audacity can open it.)
Although it is highly recommended to have a backup of the track being edited.
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

@TruePicnicness
If it's an ogg file causing the problem it's going to be a completely different problem -- a much simpler one, most likely sample rate.
Setting the "project rate" in the bottom left corner of Audacity to 44100 Hz is likely to be all you need to do, and a better solution than changing the speed of the track 'cause those processes tend to cause artifacts and loss of audio quality.

HMP problems would be completely different, 'cause it's not even remotely the same type of file as an ogg -- HMP is like General Midi, it's more or less a text file storing sheet music. And HMP is a notoriously finicky format to work with, plus Descent 1 and 2's support for midi music has never been very good. So it would be difficult to even pinpoint whether the problem is the way something was encoded in the midi file before conversion, or a bug with how the game's reading the HMP.
I'd honestly just recommend using ogg music if you're having too much trouble resolving problems with HMP. The "main two" sourceports both have full support for it, much more stable than midi for either one, and even InsanityBringer's Chocolate Descent project has limited support already, which is, at least, fairly easy to get working.
The biggest problem you're likely to find with ogg is sample rate, and like I mentioned that's easy to fix with minimal quality loss.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

Alter-Fox wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:04 pm @TruePicnicness
If it's an ogg file causing the problem it's going to be a completely different problem -- a much simpler one, most likely sample rate.
Setting the "project rate" in the bottom left corner of Audacity to 44100 Hz is likely to be all you need to do, and a better solution than changing the speed of the track 'cause those processes tend to cause artifacts and loss of audio quality.
That is literally all it took, no other modifications needed.
Thanks for the help.

I haven't tried with a .hmp though. Although I probably never will now because it sounds like .ogg is the way to go. I've got a lot of other music as well in the usual .mp3 format for general listening purposes too. This is including playstation descent music so some of those may go into The Countdown.

I'll end this post before it gets too off topic, but yeah this makes it a lot easier to work with.
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares