New monitor

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: New monitor

Post by Krom »

Turn off your adblocker for descentbb.net, they are embedded amazon links and a lot of blockers (including my own) treat them like any other ad.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Thanks Krom!

I tried disabling my 2 ad blockers, but no joy. So opened in Chrom and can see the links.
Thank you for the links.

These look like terrific monitors, esp. the 2 G-sync LG monitors. The small bezels are a terrific feature.
Do you think I'll notice the difference with one of these LGs bookending each side of my AW2721D?
Fighting villains is what I do!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

They are the same size and resolution so at least that shouldn't be an issue anymore, the AW2721D is brighter (but we adjusted that down) and has a wider gamut, so things might look a bit more saturated on it vs the LG screens, but that is far less of an issue and often you would have to look for it deliberately.

The main thing you are going to want to do when setting them up is let them warm up for ~20-30 minutes, settle in to your regular viewing distance, then blow up full screen white on all the monitors (notepad works nicely), and adjust the RGB channels and brightness on the two secondary monitors till you can't tell the difference between any of them. If you get the white point and brightness matched across screens it helps with viewing comfort, less work on your brain/eyes evening everything out, etc. You won't look at one monitor and see blue, then look back at the previous monitor and see red, or brighter/darker. The important thing is don't adjust them by looking at pictures, human perception is terrible at that, solid white is the best way to balance monitors with each other if you don't have a colorimeter.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

The 2 LG 27GL850-B monitors arrived today.
Swapped them with my previous monitors and warming them up right now.
They look amazing! Will use your calibration instructions in a few minutes.

They are rated for 144hz refresh, and I got the right monitor to hit 144,
but the left monitor only gives me the maximum refresh of 100hz.
I didn't have a cable long enough, so I used an older HDMI to HDMI to connect it. Could that be the reason it wont hit 144hz?
I *think* I have a display port to HDMI, but not sure if it's long enough to reach. If it's not the cable, then I wont fiddle with it.

-RM
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

In order to support 1440p/144Hz over HDMI you need at a minimum HDMI 2.0b support from the whole chain. The monitor probably supports it, but if the video card doesn't then only display port can drive it at the full refresh (HDMI-DP adapter cables won't overcome that limitation so don't bother). If the cable was bad usually you would be able to select the refresh rate but the monitor would black out, frequently disconnect or straight up say no signal.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti.
Online sites say it has a single USB Type-C port, three DisplayPort 1.4 connections, and an HDMI 2.0b port.

However, I only see 2 displayPorts, 1 HDMI and the Type-C.
There seems to be a grill in the way where the 3rd DPort should be (this is a prebuilt system, so maybe they added a heat dissipator or something?).

Currently I'm using the 2 displayports and the 1 hdmi.

So if I take off the heatsink thing blocking the final display port and use that instead of the hdmi port, do you think it would give met he 144hz option?
(not even sure if it's worth it, as I'm only using that monitor for email and word docs, for the most part)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Different cards can have different port configurations, but it probably isn't worth it because like you say, just for email and word documents.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Thanks!

This entire monitor setup is incredible!
The only downside is the super tiny font.
Is there a way to increase the text size for email (thunderbird) and browser (firefox) besides increasing it manually each time (mouse scroll wheel + control)?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

You can adjust the scaling factor in windows itself and it will apply to everything including firefox/thunderbird (some older applications that don't support text scaling may be blurry). Keep in mind scaling settings effectively reduce the real estate of the screen by making text and graphics larger.

Otherwise in firefox you can go to about:config and change the setting: layout.css.devPixelsPerPx
-1.0 is the default (follows windows)
1.0 is native 100% scaling
1.5 is 150%
2.0 is 200%
etc
Zooms everything in firefox automatically all the time (even the toolbars). Just be careful and don't type 200 by mistake, it will take absurd values and explode or shrink the whole interface to completely unusable proportions.
Note even without this firefox remembers the set zoom level for every site domain you visit and will retain the set level next time you go there.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

The windows scaling takes up too much monitor space, so I used your edit to adjust Firefox. Much better! (chose 1.2 for my size)

Thunderbird email is a bit different. I found a fix that someone generously posted on the Mozilla forums, to do the same thing for the email (posting here in case someone else has the same issue):

If using version 78*:

Menu app icon > Options > General
Scroll down to the very bottom
click on 'Config Editor' button to open 'about:config'

It will say be careful :)

In search type: pixels
Look for this line: layout.css.devPixelsPerPx
Double left click on that line to open the 'Enter string Value' box so you can edit the Value.

The default value will be -1.0

Enter a new number eg: 1.25 or 1.5 or 2.0 or 2.2
click on OK

the effect is immediate, so you can modify that number until it looks ok for you.