Facebook in Android.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Facebook in Android.

Post by TigerRaptor »

Both my parents bought new Android phones recently. So I took the time to help setup them up and debloat some of the crap. However removing other apps requires going through the backdoor. Even with Facebook removed by hitting uninstall, files like fackbook.appmanger and facebook.system still remain. Any idea why this is?

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Facebook in Android.

Post by Krom »

Because facebook's cleanup from their android apps uninstaller is as sloppy as their cleanup of fascist propaganda on the actual platform?

Probably all those other components are installed because the main facebook app has dependencies on them, uninstallers even in windows and linux are also extremely bad at this and will leave all the "extras" that they installed on the system even if they clear off the main application. Think of it like installing a video game on a windows desktop PC, the video game may also install directx and visual studio redistributables along with some virtual device driver for DRM. When you uninstall the game, the directx, visual studio and DRM driver are universally left on the system in the event some other game might be using them. Same thing is happening here with facebook on android.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Can you "pm disable" them at least? Next time urge your parents to buy a Pixel.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Krom wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:53 pm Because facebook's cleanup from their android apps uninstaller is as sloppy as their cleanup of fascist propaganda on the actual platform?

Probably all those other components are installed because the main facebook app has dependencies on them, uninstallers even in windows and linux are also extremely bad at this and will leave all the "extras" that they installed on the system even if they clear off the main application. Think of it like installing a video game on a windows desktop PC, the video game may also install directx and visual studio redistributables along with some virtual device driver for DRM. When you uninstall the game, the directx, visual studio and DRM driver are universally left on the system in the event some other game might be using them. Same thing is happening here with facebook on android.
Sounds like no matter the OS some residue will always be left behind. I always figured since it's a phone, whats the point of keeping old files around. Clear data, clear cache, uninstall and that was the end of it.

Jeff250 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:34 am Can you "pm disable" them at least? Next time urge your parents to buy a Pixel.
I did that with apps on my phone I was unsure about. But apps like Facebook I feel better just ripping out.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Did you try "pm uninstall" without "--user 0"?
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Jeff250 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:55 pm Did you try "pm uninstall" without "--user 0"?
An error message [DELETE_FAILED_INTERNAL_ERROR] would come up with "adb uninstall com.packagename" The only thing I turned on in developer options was USB debugging. File transfer in USB connection was also active.