Flat Earthers

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Flat Earthers

Post by TigerRaptor »

With the all the scientific achievements made over the decades. People still believe the world is flat by a large margin.

This dude still takes the time to explain it.

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Flat Earthers

Post by Krom »

I can tolerate flat earthers, their theories are dumb but ultimately harmless because all it takes is a little bit of education to convince the average person to dismiss them. The people I truly despise are the anti-vaxers, their theories are extremely harmful and can cause death or permanent disabilities to others.

Although it should be noted that there is significant crossover between flat earthers and anti-vaxers (and they also tend to be conspiracy theory junkies in general).
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Oh, those guys. Their theories so far out the there, the Twilight Zone and Tales from the Darkside put up a keep out sign.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Well, I mean I pity them just a little... it lets them shut down anything at all someone might say that they don't want to hear, which definitely makes it look like a defense mechanism for someone who just isn't able to deal with reality.
But I try not to feel too sorry because reality usually isn't that hard to deal with if you try, and I think most of the flat earth people are either too lazy to try, or outright cowards too afraid of other people to deal with them as equals.

Such an utter rejection of reality is really a rejection of one's own survival in it, and the only reason any creature would have to do a thing like that is if it's so afraid it believes, on some instinctual level, that it could never survive anyway.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

A friend of mine became a flat-Earther. It's sad. He had a religious experience in his 40s and now believes all sorts of conspiracy theories. Really smart and talented guy, but sometimes little cracks in human psychology become chasms.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Kinda funny how people believe stuff "because God said so!" even when God clearly did not say so.
In terms of Christian flat-Earthers most people point to poetic language in the Bible and take way too literally.

I still find it funny that 'the four corners of the Earth' is used to support the flat Earth, then they make the map a circle.

While we're talking about it, when I hear about the flat Earth I can't help but think of this:
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I think John Cleese said something once about how sometimes the problem with religion is that it tends to be started by very smart people -- or very smart god(s) talking to very smart people if you prefer -- and that the trouble with really smart people is that they don't always think and speak in literal terms, yet the people hanging onto their every word don't really know that.
So if you take that as granted it's not very surprising.

More amusing to me is how they take a line about the "corners of the Earth" and use it to justify a disc shape.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Personally, I really like to hear people's misconceptions. I once had a lady angrly explain that Early Voting votes didn't actually count and that Election Day ballots were the only one that counted. It's super wrong, but man was I fascinated by the mental journey she took to arrive at that conclusion.

I'd love to meet a flat earther. If sound logic is vegetables, flawed logic must be ice cream.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I mean, that's probably the reason most creative people are creative.
This world's too limiting. But unfortunately it also exists. If you can't live with that you can't really create, 'cause there's no point in making something better if you've already convinced yourself you can have anything you want.

Tragic really. Maybe it's because the things those people want are just so boring.
So you wouldn't really want to meet them. They must be very boring people.

;)
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Modern cosmology says the entire universe is flat, so of course the earth is flat...silly. <deadpan>
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
FlightRN2go
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by FlightRN2go »

Since Anti-vaxxers has been mentioned... In my profession, it's one of my greatest obstacles and it's going to get worse soon.
Trauma.... Not that I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you do.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I know what you mean, my best friend's now a doctor and I'm in healthcare as well... and even though I'm only tangentially involved with patients, everyone working in a hospital feels that frustration.
Everyone who has any connection at all to patient care has been educated and trained to be an expert in something, and none of us would be there if we didn't have that informed belief in our ability to help people.

Never mind that their whole idea is incredibly insulting to anyone who is on the autism spectrum, 'specially those who manage to get along in the world just fine.
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

LightWolf wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:24 pm Kinda funny how people believe stuff "because God said so!" even when God clearly did not say so.
In terms of Christian flat-Earthers most people point to poetic language in the Bible and take way too literally.
I remember the days when the Ethics forum was purely bible bashing. :twisted2:
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

People are getting exponentially more stupid so there is a lot more bash about. :P
Currently working on Descent: The Countdown Level 22 (Ogep'rgs) (Geometry)
Descent: The Countdown
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
Next level to be done: Level 23 (IO Sulphur Refinery)
The grand collection (Only after Descent: The Countdown)
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

I saw all the arguments and I'm convinced. Funny how people with the same education as flat earthers dismiss them as being "stupid." How arrogant.
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Yes how dare people be arrogant and side with basic physical reality.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

People believe what they want as long as it conforms to their world view, even if it's batshit crazy.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yeah, trouble is when people this threatened by rational reality decide you are a particular threat, you’ll be very lucky if it's just a little annoying.
They'll mob you like a flock of ravens, only without a raven's sense, a raven's ability to figure out when to stop, or... a raven's brainpower in general.

...I might just be insulting ravens right now.

They don't just stick to prominent visible people like politicians or celebrities either. When a group is this convinced that 99.9% of the population is a threat to their basic worldview, they might go after anyone at all just for showing rational thought where they can see it.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

One of my co-workers believed that the vaccine had a chip in it. He also still believes it changes your DNA. He also believes he was forced to get vaccinated or else he'd lose his job. I told him he had the choice. He denied it. I said you could have said no and suffer the consequences of your action but he's prefer to blame someone else.

He also believes the world is about 4000 years old.

Oh, I forgot to mention he's a religious nutcase. I've seen far to many patterns when it comes to religion. They don't seem to have any common sense or logic.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

CDN_Merlin wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:01 pm One of my co-workers believed that the vaccine had a chip in it. He also still believes it changes your DNA. He also believes he was forced to get vaccinated or else he'd lose his job. I told him he had the choice. He denied it. I said you could have said no and suffer the consequences of your action but he's prefer to blame someone else.
Sounds like a defeatist for sure. But then a lot of these conspiracy theories seem to be about having an excuse to give up.
Otherwise you'd expect things, like, freemasons having a higher rate of being murder victims than everybody else. :lol:
I would just say to someone like that, that if they want to unnecessarily quit their job or live in their own world that's even crappier ours already is, they can go ahead and do that while I stay in this one and stay relatively happy. A sort of "It's no loss to me, and you can't make it one."
And then change the subject to the weather.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Alter-Fox wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:47 pm And then change the subject to the weather.
Where they will immediately say "Climate change is a hoax!" and deny it has anything to do with Minnesota having Tornadoes in the middle of December.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I just can't deal with this level of stupidity. It hurts my head.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Krom wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:22 am
Alter-Fox wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:47 pm And then change the subject to the weather.
Where they will immediately say "Climate change is a hoax!" and deny it has anything to do with Minnesota having Tornadoes in the middle of December.
Oh well... what about traffic?
There has to be *something* so mundane they can't twist it into a spy thriller plotline.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Alter-Fox wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:43 pm Oh well... what about traffic?
There has to be *something* so mundane they can't twist it into a spy thriller plotline.
Nope, there are even conspiracy theories that electric vehicle batteries emit EM radiation and it has been covered up.

The thing about mental illness is that it can twist anything.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

What if that is counter-intelligence?
Top Gun wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:25 pm Yes how dare people be arrogant and side with basic physical reality.
lol You either haven't heard all the arguments or you don't understand them. Because 9.81 m/s/s acceleration isn't enough to hold people moving at 40,000 m/s there are a lot of reasons why your beliefs aren't physical reality.

So there's another mental illness now? Add Flat Earther Disorder to the fake DSM.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Burlyman wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:21 pm lol You either haven't heard all the arguments or you don't understand them. Because 9.81 m/s/s acceleration isn't enough to hold people moving at 40,000 m/s there are a lot of reasons why your beliefs aren't physical reality.
...this makes literally no sense. At all.

The best thing about flat-earther insanity is that all it would take for one of these people to gain credibility would be to show where the Earth's edge is. So...why haven't they?
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

They have. This is what I mean about you being ignorant. It takes a lot more for it to gain credibility, even for me. They haven't because people like you don't understand real logic from false logic. Google and other companies made it very difficult if not impossible to research flat earth. Also, some people sometimes give nonsensical answers but for the most part it's true. Not to mention there are shills and then there's the phony Flat Earth Society...

There's no such thing as a solar system. Why hold on to it?

I can probably answer all the "challenges for Flat Earthers" but honestly I don't feel like it. Just like I didn't debunk your hippie Jesus concept about Christianity. I'll do it if you really really want me to, though. :) but I might be throwing pearls before swine.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Burlyman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:40 amThey haven't because people like you don't understand real logic from false logic.
I know this is just a Neo troll post, which I imagine is entertainment for him, but I'm going to respond because I have a Flat Earth friend I had conversations with.

It doesn't matter if someone believes the Earth is flat or round because it's doesn't affect a person's daily like that something like mushroom foraging does (where people routinely get sick and die). Here is the thing about the flat versus round Earth. We have models of a round Earth that allow us to make extremely accurate predictions of the world around us. What would a flat Earth model look like and could it out perform the round Earth model? This is the only thing I ever want to hear from a flat Earth proponent. Please use a flat Earth model to predict the next solar eclipse and show the math. No conspiracy story, just math. Those who know enough about the flat Earth must surely know the diameter / thickness / whatever. Let's see your work so we can compare it to round Earth models. If the flat Earth model is better, that's what I'll use.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

First of all, I'm not a troll, second of all, I'm not trying to be "entertained" by any of you, I am serious.

There are documents that use a non-rotating flat earth and say the flat earth assumption is valid (a hint!) and these are for aircraft models. You'll have to look that one up if I can't find it. Just don't go to the moon. This is why nobody goes to the moon, they just say they do and are told to lie about it. It's not something you can land on and it's dangerous to fly into it.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

I didn't get a real response. Disappointed.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

You haven't understood a single real response we've ever given you, so why should we continue to waste our breath?

But please, do enlighten us. Derive a law of universal gravitation that would account for a flat Earth.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Burlyman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:19 pmThere are documents that use a non-rotating flat earth and say the flat earth assumption is valid (a hint!) and these are for aircraft models. You'll have to look that one up if I can't find it.
I looked it up! And, in the process I found an explanation why those papers exist from a well-sourced flat-earth debunking site. When looking at the evidence side-by-side, I'll have to go with the debunking site. They did their homework. :)
Burlyman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:19 pmJust don't go to the moon. This is why nobody goes to the moon, they just say they do and are told to lie about it. It's not something you can land on and it's dangerous to fly into it.
So, this is an interesting idea. Is the conspiracy to hide the flat Earth a global conspiracy that even our enemies are in on? Because lots of countries have, and still go to the moon. For example, China, Israel, India, and Japan have all sent landers and satellites there. What is so dangerous about the Moon? :?
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

I can't tell you either of these things except that gravity is not universal. They are secrets. Sorry. :)

but keep thinking people can land on the moon, it might be safer that way.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

"I have no idea what I'm talking about so I'm going to throw out some page non sequiturs and then walk slowly out of the room."
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

lol you're just mad because I won't tell you about real gravity. :P
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I am devastated Neo, truly devastated.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Burlyman wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:11 pm lol you're just mad because I won't tell you about real gravity. :P
Laughs in Einstein

Which is heavier - 1000lbs of lead or 1000lbs of aerogel?
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Lol Burlie, why am I not surprised this is you?

Maybe I can have some fun with you after all.