wave-particle duality

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

wave-particle duality

Post by Burlyman »

It doesn't make any sense, and it's obviously not true. Answers about physical reality are supposed to make sense.

Thoughts? :3
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: wave-particle duality

Post by Top Gun »

The beautiful thing about scientific discoveries is that they don't care at all what you think makes sense or doesn't. All that matters is what physical reality tells us. Light can act as both waves of energy and discrete photons, and matter can act as both individual particles and waves. This is how the universe functions.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Burlyman wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:25 pmAnswers about physical reality are supposed to make sense.
Where did you come up with this assumption?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

The moment Neo starts making sense is the moment that physical reality does as well. I won't hold my breath.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

An early human who possessed innate intuition for wave-particle duality wouldn't have any survival advantage over one that didn't, so we don't have that.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Neo Nonsense makes people facepalm so hard they change race.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Okay, you can avoid the flames and give a mature response.

wave-particle duality isn't a "scientific discovery," it's an interpretation of scientific discovery.
Aren't physicists supposed to answer life's questions, especially since they don't think religion does that already?

We're not early humans, so interpretation of physics does help. If you're so focused on survival, why do you throw away your soul?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Burlyman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:43 amAren't physicists supposed to answer life's questions, especially since they don't think religion does that already?
That's not the job of physicists. There are plenty of physicists who are religious and also believe in any number of gods. Physicists explore the physical world and create explanations that might not make sense but are at least useful in that they can make predictions. The better the prediction, the more useful and accepted the explanation is even if it's wrong. It's OK to be wrong in science because you get less wrong over time. That's scientific progress.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

That's what they started saying when quantum mechanics and quantum field theories came around. Scientific progress is getting the right interpretation, i.e. philosophy, in my opinion, which is what's already out there, but some of it is missing. There are a lot of silly interpretations of quantum physics, and they're more popular (for a bad reason), but the right one helps you understand it and it answers a lot of questions.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Burlyman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:29 pmThere are a lot of silly interpretations of quantum physics, and they're more popular (for a bad reason), but the right one helps you understand it and it answers a lot of questions.
I'm just a science fanboy who is bad at math, but I do enjoy reading the work of Feynman. One book I read gave a great explanation of how to visualize (and calculate) the wave/particle idea. You could imagine a single particle splitting infinite times as it travels then coming together and consolidating at a point in the future. I don't remember the name of the book, but you can learn about Sum Over Paths to get the basic explanation.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

That's a fantastic analogy for the wavefunction of a particle, which is just what you'd expect from Feynman.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Particles don't do that. There are no such things as particles, just localized wave-packets.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

...so you're using the core idea of wave-particle duality to...argue against wave-particle duality? That's a bold strategy Cotton.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Um... no, try again. lol

There's a wave-only interpretation that isn't as popular as some of the other ones.

And why did you call me cotton? Sounds racist. >_>
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Burlyman wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:25 pm Answers about physical reality are supposed to make sense.

Thoughts? :3
Woooow, that sounds like a really boring physical reality you think you've got there.
Glad I don't live in it.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

lol... Hey, things are fun when they make sense. :P
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

No, things are much more fun when they don't make sense, when your results don't match your expectations, when you have to go back to the drawing board. That's the joy of scientific discovery.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Burlyman wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:03 pm Particles don't do that. There are no such things as particles, just localized wave-packets.
You might be right! There are some theories that throw out particles altogether and I wouldn't be surprised if one of these evolved into the long sought after unified theory. From a perspective of everyday experience it doesn't matter either way, but if we can somehow build a better world using a wave-packet interpretation of the Universe, let's go!