"Little Orbit update!!!"

The return of Descent! Forum for the reboot which will be developed by Descendent Studios.

Moderators: Lothar, dunkelza, Drakona

Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

"Little Orbit update!!!"

Post by Sedwick »

In case some didn't get the Kickstarter email:
Here is an update delivered from Little Orbit, we are passing it along for you. Please go to their site to get up to date info on the project's progress.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there, my name is Matthew Scott, and I'm the CEO of Little Orbit

I want to open this email with an apology.

We got involved with Descent: Underground back in 2017, and obviously things did not go the way either Descendent Studios nor Little Orbit hoped. Instead of our anticipated 2018 launch, the project was pushed to 2019, and then into litigation for multiple years. I am deeply sorry it has taken this long to get the game into your hands.

Let’s see if we can change that.

In case you’re not familiar with us, let me introduce ourselves. We are Little Orbit, a global publisher formed in 2010 with a focus on games with robust user generated content systems. Back in 2017/2018 we found a couple struggling/abandoned projects and attempted to do our best to get them resurrected and across the finish line. It’s probably an understatement to say that we have learned some very difficult lessons along the way. This letter isn’t about digging up the past - it’s about setting the roadmap for the future. But just in case you missed it, there was a press release in March of 2022 that announced our formal settlement with Descendent Studios, and that we were finally clear to move forward with development.

And we’ve been busy.
But before I jump in, I want to provide some context on what we learned through this process, as some things didn’t come across when we took over. During our settlement, we didn’t get any access to the Kickstarter account that you backed. Rest assured we got the emails for the backers and the details of each pledge, but we aren’t able to post any new updates there, which is why you’re receiving this email. It is the only way we can update you. Good, bad or ugly, we want to hear from you, and we don’t want you to miss any future news, so I invite you to join our Discord or check out our brand new forums.

Also, with the amount of time that has passed, the legal rights to use the name that Descendent Studios marketed on Kickstarter were lost. We attempted to negotiate something new with Interplay, but in the end we decided to move forward with Ships that Fight Underground (STFU). For those that don’t know, this internal codename has been used by multiple 6DoF titles through the years. We also thought it was a fitting reminder to ourselves to get this game finished and released into the hands of the community.

With that out of the way, I want to give you an extensive update on the game itself. Many of the changes were driven by fleshing out the missing elements that we spent a lot of time talking about like mining and PVE Co-op with your friends. While we faced many roadblocks, the team put in a lot of work, and I am very excited to share our progress.

JOIN OUR DISCORD

You’re going to get what you paid for.

Next, I want to be very clear that Kickstarter backers will absolutely get the game they backed.

While some of the ships have changed functionality, we are still going to provide the ships to backers that were part of the Kickstarter campaign as they are released in the game’s development cycle. We will also follow the original backer tiers as closely as possible as it relates to game utility items. This will include priority access to closed and open beta and full free access to all single player and multiplayer content.

I am personally very excited for everyone to finally play the game they supported. We’ve spent lots of time making sure the game has something for everyone:
  • Flying unique class based ships across various roles either solo or in a team
  • A living single-player and co-op hub that will grow and change with player interactions
  • Customizing your ships with mods and unlocking their tech trees through crafting and leveling mechanics
  • Competing with friends against the AI in PVE Co-op “Asteroid Runs”
  • Experiencing intense multiplayer PvP matches across a wide range of maps and modes
Even better - the game is almost ready to put in your hands. We are finishing up development on a new Early Access candidate for everyone to check out these features! We have just started testing with a small group of backers and community members and will steadily be opening access to more backers throughout Q2/Q3 2023. There will be a lot of exciting news shared in the coming months leading up to early access launch, in the meantime please check out this blog post specifically for our Kickstarter backers that provides more detail regarding our advancements in the game.

See you soon pilots!

Be sure and check out our new website below

CHECK OUT THE SITE

Ships That Fight Underground - GamersFirst
STFU is a 6-degrees-of-freedom ship shooter played across pulse pounding single player, co-op, and PvP gameplay. Choose your class and ship then customize and upgrade with unique cosmetics, powerful mods, and class-based tech trees. Level up and light em' up!

https://www.playstfu.com/

About LittleOrbit
Little Orbit is a worldwide video game publisher formed in January 2010 with a focus on AAA licensed-based entertainment products. The company's emphasis is on working with popular creators to extend their vision into games through transmedia storytelling and engaging content for all gaming platforms.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

We at Descendent Studios wish Little Orbit the best of luck in getting the game out to everyone. Please transfer your questions or comments onto their site, and direct access for all future updates.

Thank you!

WM
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re: "Little Orbit update!!!"

Post by CDN_Merlin »

yeah, got that yesterday
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I actually wonder who many of us will even bother playing this?
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

I never got the email. I'll probably download it, assuming it runs on Linux, and assuming they know I should have a copy. The reason I contributed in the first place was because I wanted a new Descent game, but this is not Descent. And I specifically wanted a SP campaign, which is not included in the game as far as I can tell.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

vision wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:07 am The reason I contributed in the first place was because I wanted a new Descent game, but this is not Descent. And I specifically wanted a SP campaign, which is not included in the game as far as I can tell.
It's by people who tried hard to make it Descent, so I think it could be close enough. They had said the game was basically done, maybe they need some more time/effort to de-Descent the SP campaign.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Sedwick wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:27 pmIt's by people who tried hard to make it Descent, so I think it could be close enough.
Those people tried and missed the mark by a mile, which was my biggest complaint after I realized almost immediately Descendent Studios had no idea what they were doing. They were basically making D3 multiplayer and nothing else. Even the lore they created made no sense. LIttle Orbit's decision to rebrand with a joke name is also dumb AF. So now they have to promote a game whose acronym risks getting word filtered on forums and chat servers? Brilliant marketing strategy, morons. And they still can't make a decent trailer for the game. The newest one on their site is the best get, but it has a ridiculous voiceover and I honestly can't tell who they are marketing the game towards.

They best I can hope to get out of this game is to fly around a couple maps, blow up some AI for an hour or two, then never play it again, forever feeling like I got ripped off.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I won't be playing ★■◆● That Flopped Underground. It never looked all that good to begin with. Overload is the way to go, and look what was posted on Discord recently.