Sidearm regrouping

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Sidearm regrouping

Post by Darth Wang »

With all of the posts about politics and such lately, this is my first contribution to this forum in a while that's actually Descent related :lol:

Anyway, I recall the sidearm modula being described as the 'primary regrouping mechanism' for the sidearm, and some guides/manuals further clarifying that. if sidearm modula are left alone, they can regroup (i.e. merge) back into a full sidearm. But I've never seen this happen. Can this actually happen in any version of the game, or was it just a feature they never actually implemented?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Sidearm regrouping

Post by vision »

Can't say I've ever seen it happen, I don't see how it could have happened in the game. I think it's just part of the lore. Robot objects can contain objects such as power-ups, keys, and other robots, and if it were possible to replace several objects with another single object we would have seen that mechanism used in other parts of the game (and surely the option would be in one of the level editors).
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

vision wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:46 pm Can't say I've ever seen it happen, I don't see how it could have happened in the game. I think it's just part of the lore. Robot objects can contain objects such as power-ups, keys, and other robots, and if it were possible to replace several objects with another single object we would have seen that mechanism used in other parts of the game (and surely the option would be in one of the level editors).
It's funny because I remember reading guides that emphasized that you had to destroy sidearm modula quickly, or they would reform into a full sidearm.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Once that flying washing machine blows up. It's gone.
Descer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Descer »

Some times when I destroyed an Sidearm and returned later, there was a new one there, so it actually be correct.
It's just a game. Face it.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Descer wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:58 am Some times when I destroyed an Sidearm and returned later, there was a new one there, so it actually be correct.
I've played tens of thousands of hours of D1 and I've never seen this behavior. If it exists I would love to see evidence. D1X Rebirth has source code available, maybe you can find the function that causes Sidearm Modula to regroup?
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

vision wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:28 pm
Descer wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:58 am Some times when I destroyed an Sidearm and returned later, there was a new one there, so it actually be correct.
I've played tens of thousands of hours of D1 and I've never seen this behavior.
Maybe because Sidearms aren't in D1, but D2?
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

After so many vain attempts. The sidearm spawns would not become the big flying refrigerator again.

But I did take this cool picture.

Imagefree image hosting site
Parabolicus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Parabolicus »

There is no code for sidearms regrouping in D2 from what I can tell.

If someone else wants to look, sidearms are enemy ID #30 and modulas are #50.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Darth Wang wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:12 pmMaybe because Sidearms aren't in D1, but D2?
Ha, Thanks for the correction. Nice screenshot. I was just thinking it's a shame the bots in Overload aren't as good as D1/D2. It would have been really cool to see a modular robot that could take more than one form depending on the number and type of modules. Imagine 3-4 basic shapes that turn into a dozen or so variants!
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Nice to know that Parallax has been able to give rise to such an urban legend. This really amplifies the fantasy of the game, although in technical terms sidearm modulas are no different than baby spiders etc. But in the pre-internet era it's wondering about stuff like this that made most games exciting.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6