New Green Deal is dying

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

New Green Deal is dying

Post by woodchip »

So after trillions of wasted dollars the Green Dream is slowly wasting away. lets look a EV owners:
"According to this study, which looked at California EV owners specifically between 2015-2019, 18% of electric vehicle owners switched back to a gas-powered car. For plug-in hybrid owners, 20% of them flipped back to a car solely powered by an engine."
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ev-o ... wer-study/
"GM last week announced that it planned to delay the ramp-up of its full-size electric trucks by a year. The Silverado EV and Sierra EV were slated to enter mass production at the automaker's Orion Assembly plant in Michigan in 2024, but that's now been pushed to late 2025. The Silverado EV is already in low-volume production at GM's Factory Zero in Detroit. The Sierra EV was scheduled to be added in 2024, but it's unclear how the delay will affect that."
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... ns-targets
"The Danish wind energy developer Ørsted said this week it’s scrapping its Ocean Wind I and II projects off southern New Jersey due to problems with supply chains, higher interest rates and a failure to obtain the amount of tax credits the company wanted. Together, the projects were supposed to deliver over 2.2 gigawatts of power."
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/off ... -104628709
"In terms of the scope of the problem, Reuters noted today that Siemens Gamesa is having “problems affecting up to 15-30% of the more than 132 gigawatts worth of turbines worldwide. Its total wind capacity is equivalent to around 132 nuclear plants.”
https://electrek.co/2023/06/23/siemens- ... -problems/
Turbine blades filling up landfills: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... #xj4y7vzkg
I think even some of you pie in the sky idealists get the picture.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: New Green Deal is dying

Post by Darth Wang »

Celebrate destroying the only planet we have, how noble.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

The planet will be fine. :wink:
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Spidey wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:22 am The planet will be fine. :wink:
Eventually. It's human civilization we have to worry about in the short term.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Darth Wang wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:53 am Celebrate destroying the only planet we have, how noble.
No and playing word games isn't accomplishing anything.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Darth Wang wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:40 am
Short term we have to worry about the nut jobs you vote for don't cause WW3 and exploding nukes

Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

woodchip wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:55 am
Darth Wang wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:40 am
Short term we have to worry about the nut jobs you vote for don't cause WW3 and exploding nukes
I didn't vote for Putin.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I drive a hybrid and getting 960KM per tank in the city saves me tons of cash. I've already ordered my 2024 plug in hybrid.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Woody not able to see the forest through the trees. What a shock.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

What trees, after they all burn.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I've been driving an all electric vehicle for over 3 years and I will never go back to ICE.

You can continue lighting your money on fire everywhere you go like a ★■◆●ing idiot, I will continue to mock you for it every time it comes up.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

My neighbor has a Tesla and he loves it. Plus, many of our area gas stations are installing charging stations for electric cars, especially along the main freeways. A full charge only takes 45 minutes. Time to rest and eat while on a long trip. Several of my other neighbors have hybrids and love the gas mileage. Since I'm getting older, my next car will probably be electric. Less maintenance to worry about. Technology and the market marches on, whether Republicans like it or not.

Oh, as for the Infrastructure Bill, some of that money is going towards installing fiber for rural internet service here. You know. those rural areas that are typically conservative and were some of the last places in this country to see electrification way, way back in the stone age? :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I can taste your nazi MAGA tears from here and they are ★■◆●ing delicious

What's even better is the sense that your coal burner will finally one day not get parts and you'll have to sell it.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I don't think he even owns a car....
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Tunnelcat wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:52 pm I don't think he even owns a car....
Man child drives around in his little tikes cozy coupe. Look out when none of the cool kids want to play him; he'll crap his depends, throw a tantrum, and blow his rusty trumpbone for attention.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

There I thought my 2008 Dodge Ram and my 2019 Minicooper were cars...my bad.

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

TigerRaptor wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:50 pm
Man child drives around in his little tikes cozy coupe. Look out when none of the cool kids want to play him; he'll crap his depends, throw a tantrum, and blow his rusty trumpbone for attention.
Do you know what a colossal idiot you are? I guess not because you are a idiot.

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Krom wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:32 pm I've been driving an all electric vehicle for over 3 years and I will never go back to ICE.

You can continue lighting your money on fire everywhere you go like a ★■◆●ing idiot, I will continue to mock you for it every time it comes up.
Mock me when you see the price to replace your batteries.

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Tunnelcat wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:45 pm A full charge only takes 45 minutes.
Factor that time in next time you go on a vacation.

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

woodchip wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:28 am Mock me when you see the price to replace your batteries.
You mean $18,000?

Lets put it in perspective for a minute. I saw a video on youtube about a guy with a 2012 Ford F150 that had reached over 1 million miles on the odometer. It was on its third engine, and given the specific build/engine it was it ran at an average of 14 MPG, which means in the lifetime of the vehicle it consumed roughly 71,500 gallons of regular unleaded fuel. The napkin math estimates by the people in the video comments were that the dude spent $250,000 in fuel costs. I think I can swing a new battery for less than that no problem.

Also I got an email from Tesla today with an interesting bit of data in it, they were estimating that my vehicle will save about 5,600 gallons of gas. The thing they were bragging about was that this is an offset of about 55 tons of CO2 emissions. But I think the bigger deal is 5,614 gallons of gas at $3/gallon is $16,842 USD. My accumulated charging costs for the entire time I've had the vehicle is a grand total of roughly $832, I know because I have an application that keeps track! In other words I spent $832 in charging it at home vs $16,842 in gas, a savings of $16,010, and my battery health is still 97.3%.

In other words, you're still lighting your money on fire like a ★■◆●ing idiot, and I'm still mocking you for it all the way to the bank and back.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

You must have some really really really cheap electricity, or do very little driving.

Otherwise, there is no way you can drive your EV for 3 years at less than the cost of one year of my electric heat. (and heat is far more efficient than converting electricity into KE)

There is no way your numbers can be correct.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

A little of both.

Compared to my previous vehicle which I think I was averaging around 20-25 MPG, my cost per mile in the EV is about half to one third what the old vehicle was managing.

It costs around $4 to drive my EV 100 miles at 75 MPH. Dumbass's dodge ram probably costs closer to $16 for the same distance and speed, and my car is a 500 horsepower monster that could blow his ★■◆●ing doors off for breakfast.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Spidey wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:11 am You must have some really really really cheap electricity, or do very little driving.

Otherwise, there is no way you can drive your EV for 3 years at less than the cost of one year of my electric heat. (and heat is far more efficient than converting electricity into KE)

There is no way your numbers can be correct.
He can, quite easily.

Over that three-year period, your baseboards consumed 77,760 kW/h. His tesla charger consumed 10,944 kW/h over the same time period.

Due to the one weird fact his charger runs once a week at most, and your baseboards run constantly for the cold months.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Whatever...it's still hard to believe that an ICE vehicle costs 20 times that of an EV.

The numbers from Krom's post...

16842 divided by 832.

The numbers in Krom's second post are more believable.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

"math is hard, I'll just take my ball and go home!"
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Woody I could easily Ram you into a wall with Mini effort. But instead, I Dodge most of your laughable bull★■◆● threads.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:30 am
If there were more charging stations, just like gas stations, it would make it far easier to plan. Plus, we now have hybrids that go many miles before the gas engine has to kick in. The only thing I can't see using an EV for is going out 4 wheeling in the dingle weeds far from civilization and the power grid. But for commuting locally to work, which vast numbers of Americans do every day in their ICE cars, all generating pollution, EV's are the best application for that situation.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:30 am
If there were more charging stations, just like gas stations, it would make it far easier to plan. Plus, we now have hybrids that go many miles before the gas engine has to kick in. The only thing I can't see using an EV for is going out 4 wheeling in the dingle weeds far from civilization and the power grid. But for commuting locally to work, which vast numbers of Americans do every day in their ICE cars, all generating pollution, EV's are the best application for that situation.
woodchip wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:22 amThere I thought my 2008 Dodge Ram and my 2019 Minicooper were cars...my bad.
So, is that Dodge Ram a diesel (I bet it is)? If not, the gas engine has plenty of failure complaints for that year. However, that vintage of diesel is dirty, especially if you don't maintain it or modify it. I see more jackasses modifying them to do a little "coal rolling" when they pass unsuspecting bicyclists or pedestrians. Geez, I hope you suck on some of the coal effluent yourself, because we all do whenever someone, mostly good ol' boys (mostly conservatives too), thinks doing that is fun entertainment.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Tunnelcat wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:56 pm I see more jackasses modifying them to do a little "coal rolling" when they pass unsuspecting bicyclists or pedestrians. Geez, I hope you suck on some of the coal effluent yourself, because we all do whenever someone, mostly good ol' boys (mostly conservatives too), thinks doing that is fun entertainment.
Washing cylinder walls and burning up piston rings all for a little fun.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I get it now...woody is really just a figment of everyone's imagination.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

If conservatives don't want to try anything new, and liberals want environmentally friendly modes of transportation, we could always compromise and just switch back to using horses. :lol:
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Spidey wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:58 pm I get it now...woody is really just a figment of everyone's imagination.
More like a waking ★■◆●ing nightmare on all of humanity.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Darth Wang wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:06 pm If conservatives don't want to try anything new, and liberals want environmentally friendly modes of transportation, we could always compromise and just switch back to using horses. :lol:
The ultimate in biodegradable technology!
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

While Axial motors is the way of the future it's good to see new designs. Has anyone seen what the engineers at Koenigsegg built?

https://insideevs.com/news/564522/koeni ... ric-motor/
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Krom wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:15 am A little of both.

Compared to my previous vehicle which I think I was averaging around 20-25 MPG, my cost per mile in the EV is about half to one third what the old vehicle was managing.

It costs around $4 to drive my EV 100 miles at 75 MPH. Dumbass's dodge ram probably costs closer to $16 for the same distance and speed, and my car is a 500 horsepower monster that could blow his ★■◆●ing doors off for breakfast.
While I respect your ability in the tech sector, your name calling when answering my post only shows how ignorant in all other areas you are. First I didn't buy the Ram to blow the doors off anyone in a street race. Second I did buy a Ram to tow a trailer with a GVW of 11,000 lbs . If you want to make comparisons if attached to your Tesla, your Tesla's front tires would lift off the ground. Let's see how fast your 500 hp engine would get you going and how well you could control it. Thirdly I didn't have time to wait 45 minutes for a fill up like you do. I had a half million dollar millwork job the I needed to deliver down in Kokomo, Ind and fuel expense was not a concern. When I bought the Ram in 2008, i got a lifetime drive train warranty. I already had the engine rebuilt once (Tc feel free to comment on what that costs) for free. Other than that, maintenance is the usual...tiress, shocks etc, just like you will have on the Tesla.
So instead of coming here and trying to prove your superiority, I suggest you first realize that people buy auto's for different reason and while I don't care that you bought a EV, doesn't mean you are superior because you do.
Oh and since you focused on the Ram, I see you conveniently overlooked the MiniCooper... which gets 35 mpg around town.

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Yeah? Lots of peoples trucks can tow 11,000 pound trailers, and lots of peoples trucks have actually done that zero times. Congrats on doing it once, something you could have done by renting a truck, want a cookie?

And a 35 MPG mini-cooper, wow. My car gets 133 MPGe in town and is a hell of a lot more fun to drive than a mini-cooper.

As for 45 minutes to fill up... My car is always "full up" because it fills up in the driveway when I am not using it. I spend a fraction of the time fueling up as you do.
Click to view the full size image.
See that picture, that's my car filling up with me having spent ~2 seconds plugging it in before walking away. Every day I get back to the driveway, plug it in, and walk away, it is then "full" the next time I get in it. I don't have to drive to a station, get out, swipe a card, plug it in, and then stand around while it charges up. It does it on its own, unsupervised, while I can sit comfortably in my house shitposting on the internet.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

"oh no! how dare you call me names"

★■◆● off, you genocidal prick.

Krom IS superior. I am superior. Everyone is superior to you. And we know it.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

woodchip wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:01 amwhile I don't care that you bought a EV, doesn't mean you are superior because you do.
Right, he's superior for many other reasons.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Krom is the boss here so he wears da pantaloons, the rest of us wears da bloomers, and woody huggies little snugglers diapers. Because he's so cute.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

lmao what a derail