Idea for increased Descent public interest...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Who's up for an exciting, thrilling and above all, sexy, Descent movie?

I am, in fact, I'd watch it at the theater 10 times at least
51%
I'm not, that's the lamest thing I've ever heard... a Descent movie... pfff
49%

Total votes: 53
Johnny M
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Idea for increased Descent public interest...

Post by Johnny M »

I was just thinkin'... ya know what'd really get a lot of people into Descent. Is a movie. Ever see the movie hackers? At the time, that movie got soo many non-computer type people into computers. I also recall seeing a movie that was about SuperMarioBrothers 3 for the Nintendo, back before the game came out... at the time, I loved it, which shows that an exciting movie can be made about a game. Or another movie that got people into things... the Fast and the Furious. Wow, look at all the soooped up Civics now. Maybe one of the talented writers of the Descent community should start a script... well, it's not really a serious thought, but I felt it was worthy of the DBB.

Johnny_M
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hmmmm.... I dunno, it depends. I don't really know if I would watch Teleps take on it. I thought the books were ok. Really I think a new series simular to Descent as a movie would be awsome though. I would go see the movie. though. It really depends on how they do it.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Hello and welcome to 8 years ago! :P
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i wouldn't mind making a descent puppet show.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

I had a script written for a Descent film once... I'll see if I can recover it.

I even did a screenplay of the intro to the film.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Kinda like how the Wing Commander movie restored the Wing Commander series? Oh, wait... :P
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

oh speaking of which, does anyone have the d3 cutscenes by themselves that you can watch. cuz im bored and i want to watch something
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

Jeff250 wrote:Kinda like how the Wing Commander movie restored the Wing Commander series? Oh, wait... :P
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Battlebot wrote:oh speaking of which, does anyone have the d3 cutscenes by themselves that you can watch. cuz im bored and i want to watch something
I'm not sure, but I think MVEEXT32 can make them into EXE files to run. You would have to find a copy of it though since Interplay had a fit and HHsoft had to take it down.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

When you get the MVE extractor make sure you have the TAHOMA font, but hey it works, and if you have the whole suite of Descent2.coms apps and plugins then the programming makes sense, other wise its a chop shop.

Think of it this way seperately it's like taking Photoshop CS, removing every feature and having a seperate install and location for each...weird. but you will understand once you install something from Descent-Netw0rk! :)

I have had the MVE extractor for quite a few years it was embedded in one of their programs

PS after you extract every MVE from D2 and D3, burn em all to disk and include the MVE program... create an ISO and BT it! :)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

hey bubba check DBB PM
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

In the Mac version they actually come as .mov files (or are you talking about the one before and after *every* level? I can post them if you want.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

A Descent movie is yet another one of those things that can never happen. That being said, I'd be off in a heartbeat to see such a movie :).
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Nitrofox125 wrote:In the Mac version they actually come as .mov files (or are you talking about the one before and after *every* level? I can post them if you want.
Are you refereing to the Descent 1 mov files? I can extract those out of the D1 PSX disc if ya need them, just like I did with the Music files
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

Who's up for an exciting, thrilling and above all, sexy, Descent movie?
who's gonna pay for it? 'cause i ain't chippin' in anything if it cuts into my wondrous punch budget.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

What about a freespace movie? The whole plot of that game series is just primed to be made into a movie.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

The first Freespace, yes...

The second Freespace... once someone explains the ending, maybe. It left me almost as lost as the third Matrix movie...
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i have a homemade movie festival comming up that i have been asked to enter. you guys are giving me ideas :D
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Lothar wrote:The first Freespace, yes...

The second Freespace... once someone explains the ending, maybe. It left me almost as lost as the third Matrix movie...
Thats because they were going to do an expansion pack so they left a "cliffhanger" to make people want it.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Descent would absolutely SUCK as a movie.

Especially if Jerry "I'm an idiot" Bruckheimer did it!
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

MD-2389 wrote:

Thats because they were going to do an expansion pack so they left a "cliffhanger" to make people want it.
Does the expansion pack actually exist?
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

Mobius wrote: Jerry "I'm an idiot" Bruckheimer
owow that was clever i'm reeling
Stupid
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stupid »

I'd vote for Vlider to write our script.... If a D3 movie is made, we should make it every bit as cheesy and funny as Star Ship Troopers #1 and #2. He'd succeed in the Funny part, but we'd have to leave it up to the bad director to make it cheesy. BTW... I love CHEESE... it tastes soo good! *aftereffects of saying CHEESY way too many times in one post on an empty stomach!
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Lothar wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:

Does the expansion pack actually exist?
No. I don't think FS2 sold well enough.
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

i think if they stuck to a good storyline (like maybe mixed all 3 games) so that you have a brief rundown of why MD wants to bring down Dravis, and if they used the actual ships(!!!) then a movie could be quite good.

id pay to see it...
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

well i wouldnt aim at making it cheezy. i'd make it along the lines of starwars space battles when they're flying in the x-wings to the core of the deathstar.

i can imagine two pyros dogfighting in the mines on a big screen with special FX that would be badass and something a little different from a movie stand point.

and i wouldn't base it on vertigo. I'd base it on us, the mercenaries and clans or fleets if you will. With the blue shield orb as the main energy source that everyone is fighting over.

however iam writing a space comedy which will spoof the hell out of star trek. and im not talking galaxy quest style, that was for kids.

what im talking is american pie/bad santa in space type of comedy.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

They already had a TV show based on the Descent series of video games. It has been a while since i have seen any of the episodes. It was called "The Dukes of Hazard" and was loosely based on D3 and its community.

It wasnt so much about the actual game as it was the community that surrounded the game.

Koo Koo...Cmon Flash!
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

In any case, you'd have to do something about the way pyros are armed. Flying over a gun and hearing a "shooook" sound then seeing the hero fire it instantly wouldn't be very appealing.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

After reading all this.. I'm definately feel more interested in Descent.

;)
RSDx
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by RSDx »

Ummm...I'd rent it when it went direct to video...heh
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Well, we can make this happen almost for free.

a) Start a thread (heck, even an entire forum!) for movie dev.
b) Start a "communal script" writers write different sections of the script (or one person can write, I'd love to do it I just don't have a lot of time). The script is posted for anyone to edit/comment on.
c) We have a plethora of 3D models already from you guys, we also have a hell of a lot of animation talent here, we'd have no problem with that.
d) I for one volunteer my editing system (Final Cut Pro 4 + xtras) to edit the movie on.
e) Obtain rights (might wanna do this first ;) )
f) Either
1. Find a distributor into theatres
2. Make it funny/interesting enough to become a Red-vs-Blue style series, have it avaliable for download and DVD purchasing
3. Just go straight to Video/DVD.

The only cost would be time and VHSs and DVDs. It would be a fun project even if it wasn't for the purpose of theaters.

[edit] As a matter of fact, I'll start a poll :) [/edit]
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I don't think the Descent genre would translate very well to screen. It was hard enough becoming a book.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

It would be incredibly hard making a D movie. Any of you see the Bourne Supremacy? That fight in the early-middle portion against the other last agent remnant of the Treadstone project? I saw that in the theater... And let's just say I couldn't follow which way their arms went it happened so fast. Given that most people aren't as fast-moving in reaction time/thought as D3ers, the general public would have an incredibly hard time following the action, which would be mostly what makes the movie.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

The reason you couldn't follow it is because the director just graduated from the School of ShakeTheCameraReallyFastAndGiveViewersAHeadache.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

Stryker.....give the audience more credit ;)
I hate movies that assume the human brain cant process "all this" information...Just because a guy in a movie is smoking a cigarette doesnt mean we have to see him open the pack, get out his lighter and light it..

Im just sayin....

Not to mention the fact that a movie about d3 (as dumb as this idea is) would not actually be shot "in game" :)

Besides..i liked the D3 movie better the first time i saw it...When is was called Battlestar Gallactica.
Kd527
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kd527 »

I'd see movies based on Peter Telep's books as long as they filtered out the questionable seens and maybe toned down the language. Other than that, tho, the books were great. People that don't play descent tho, would think we're all the more weird after they saw the movie. all the drones and reactors. great in a game. I guess if the books were good, the movie might attract people.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

*cue Mobius jumping in to deliver his comment on the Descent novels.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

It's not like you would point a camera at the screen and play D3, nor would you spend all your time in a movie in the Pyro. MD would perhaps be in the Pyro 25% of the movie?, and mostly only for the action sequences. Pyro shots wouldn't have to be shot any differently than, like a previous person said, the Death Star scene in Star Wars IV. People could easily see what was going on. Only a bad cinematographer can't show speed and keep it clear at the same time.

Perhaps think of hte movie this way:
1. Establishing Shots => Mine being built, mebbe an ad for PTMC to show the year, goals, etc.
2. Exposition => 'Bots going bad, destroying stuff.
3. Character Introduction => Dravis calls on MD to secure the mines.
4. Action => MD secures the mine(s).
5. Twist => Dravis tries to kill MD. Audience finds out about an "evil scheme."
6. More Action => Descent 2-3 style?
7. Conclusion => Yeah.

For those of you worried about this being "too much like a video game", actualy pyro/mine shots would only be in scenes 4 and 6.
For those worried about this being "too little like the game", sections 4 and 6 could be expanded to up to 50% of the screen time.

Any storyline could be shot this way, I was just using the one actually in Descent.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

How about a scene where our hero rounds a corner and is splashed by 3 balls of fusion. At this point the camera pans across his angry face, matrix style. He throws his fist in the air and with the intensity of something from lord of the rings he exlaims: "This is why skybox is buwelsht!"