To Kali or not to Kali - Vote here.

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Should we plant our flag on Kali?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:33 pm

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes: 43
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I sure as hell dont.

I lurbn kali, even if Jay is an idiot who can barely code :P
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

You don't have to pay to use Gamespy. You just have to click yourway through about 30 ads to get to a game.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I want people in servers.

I don't care what chat is used, so I didn't vote. I have Kali, tho'..and it was always a pain to get working. I finally got rid of the duplicate IP and network problems..when I reload this machine, I dunno how I'm going to get it working again.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

And gamespy tells you in order to remove the ads you have to pay.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

But... who uses GameSpy anyway and why would anyone pay for it?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

who uses gamespy?

you do alex!
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I would vote Kali if it weren't such a P.I.T.A to make function under router and firewall situations. When I finally got my own connection and could use Kali freely, I was quite bored at the perpetual idling. Does the fun ever end?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Ferno wrote:And gamespy tells you in order to remove the ads you have to pay.
Exactly, plus it scans your computer for every game and plays match maker.... without your knowledge. I have to pay to stop the IDIOTIC ads(not all of them mind you)but everything still goes on in the background...nah! KALI OWNZ JOO!
Kyouryuu wrote:I would vote Kali if it weren't such a P.I.T.A to make function under router and firewall situations. When I finally got my own connection and could use Kali freely, I was quite bored at the perpetual idling. Does the fun ever end?
Get a Linksys Nuff said. It's not KALI it's your P.O.S. router (probaly a Netgear or DLINK)

I use 2 computers on KALI no issues (2 serials) one is XP the other is 98 and STILL NO ISSUES
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Ferno wrote:who uses gamespy?

you do alex!
No I don't! I use kquery!
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

It is a known issue that Netgear and Dlink routers have terrible NAT progamming in them. Get a Linksys, they are so cheap it's worth it.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

well you did then.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

BUBBALOU wrote:Get a Linksys Nuff said. It's not KALI it's your P.O.S. router (probaly a Netgear or DLINK)
When everything else worked besides Kali, you tell me where the fault lies. Like it or not, Netgear and D-Link routers are very common. You can't expect newcomers to the game to replace their routers in addition to paying $20 for Kali just for the privilege of getting their butt kicked by elites. You greatly overestimate the clout any one game could have. :roll:
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Kyouryuu wrote:When everything else worked besides Kali....
OK, Mr Angst Troll... :idea: Why don't you go to the Netgear Site before you ramble your nonsense again... With their Documented issue with NAT and Gaming.. Instead of lurking under your bridge and wanking on the DBB and PD :!:
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Ferno wrote:well you did then.
I never use GameSpy to play D3. I only used it to find newbies. I used it as my main means of playing in spring of 2001 when PXO was down for 2 weeks and I couldn't use Kali because it wasn't compatible with my ISDN router.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

BUBBALOU wrote:
Kyouryuu wrote:When everything else worked besides Kali....
OK, Mr Angst Troll... :idea: Why don't you go to the Netgear Site before you ramble your nonsense again... With their Documented issue with NAT and Gaming.. Instead of lurking under your bridge and wanking on the DBB and PD :!:
Linksys has some serious issues with STEAM. My brother can't stay connected to counterstrike for more than 30 seconds and we're thinking about buying a non-Linksys router to solve his problem.

http://www.steampowered.com/forums/show ... did=101151
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

Iceman wrote:
Do_Checkor wrote:Yeeeea cool - let's split the community once more and make it even harder for newbies to play D3. :x
I didn't see a lot of noobs coming into the game when PXO was up. Besides, since stats are down, Kurupt no longer has a reason to play noobs :P
since when have i ever given a damn about stats?
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

BUBBALOU wrote:OK, Mr Angst Troll... :idea: Why don't you go to the Netgear Site before you ramble your nonsense again... With their Documented issue with NAT and Gaming..
You totally missed my point. Nowhere am I contesting that Netgears have flaws. However, Kali was the only problematic program I ever had to deal with on mine. Kali, with perhaps a 100 people on chat servers at peak hours, is in the minority here. Even if it's Netgear's "fault," it's Kali that has to address it. People aren't going to go out and replace their routers just to use an ancient piece of software like Kali.
BUBBALOU wrote: STILL NO ISSUES
That's great for you. But you cannot attribute your fortune to everyone. There was a time, after all, when Kali was king. And over the years, its lead position has eroded to the point of being hardly used anymore, TCP/IP browsing notwithstanding. I wonder why that is. :roll:
BUBBALOU wrote:Instead of lurking under your bridge and wanking on the DBB and PD
BUBBALOU wrote:it's your P.O.S. router
BUBBALOU wrote:KALI OWNZ JOO!
And he calls me a troll. :roll:
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Suncho wrote:Linksys has some serious issues with STEAM. My brother can't stay connected to counterstrike for more than 30 seconds and we're thinking about buying a non-Linksys router to solve his problem.

http://www.steampowered.com/forums/show ... did=101151
Hmm never any issues for me(I use static). I wonder why they have you disable so MANY services on XP and 2 features on the router...HMMMM
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Dedicated proxies are an easy way to fix Kali. Yet there doesn't seem to be any chance of them being set up any time soon.

I don't care if it's my router or not - if Kali is the only thing that can't be fixed on it, I won't touch it with a barge pole. I may as well go and play a game that works.
g2 2
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

the future

Post by g2 2 »

I vote no, Kali is not much of an option for us here in Australia

I do have a question though would anyone know if it's possible to modify Glmax or Gate to work in the current situation? Seems a possible way out of the delima.