High Octane software developing a decent-like game?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

DE-Hunter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DE-Hunter »

@Zach: Go for it :wink:
I would help also - you got mail!
(DE)Hunter

Author of the D3Server tool - http://www.uni-bremen.de/~baedeker/
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

The beta testers list for this game is going to be nothing short of huge.
[NT]kevin
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by [NT]kevin »

who will support the multi in it? PXO cant, and i gamesurge, if it can..NO
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

GameSpy

Post by zbriggs »

We are looking to GameSpy for internal match-making and we have several people offer to host servers. We have one of our own and widely expect that the masses will also help support it.
[RIP]MeatBall
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by [RIP]MeatBall »

ok i have sent my email off count me in woot 8)
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Hi there! I'm willing to offer my lan gaming center as a beta test site. Shadow Lan Gaming is always looking for a new revolutionary game to add to our line up.

Check us out here: http://www.shadowlan.com

P.S. Please develop a Fusion Cannon type weapon. It just wouldn't be the same without the purple (or whatever color you want it) love. ;)
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Ooh, Gamespy integration = exposure on GameSpy Arcade... and a lesser chance of the servers magically disappearing. :)
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

It's good to see that the third dimension hasn't been entirely forgotten. I'll keep my eye on it - but since there are still four more years of university left for me, I can't ask for a job in another country yet. :)
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

ThunderBunny wrote:P.S. Please develop a Fusion Cannon type weapon. It just wouldn't be the same without the purple (or whatever color you want it) love. ;)
What TB said! :D
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

Skyalmian wrote:The beta testers list for this game is going to be nothing short of huge.
i made teh list!!1
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

Do you need a level maker? :D
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

If the project is freeware, I would be interested in mapping or beta testing it. :)

EDIT: I say that with stipulation because my current employment would prevent me from doing level work, paid or not, for another company. :lol:
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Um, so what if it's freeware or not? I'd love to beta test it and then go out and buy a copy! :D
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

id love to be a beta-tester as well!
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

Put my name on the beta-tester list. Long live Descent!!!

Might just ressurect some of the old clans with a quality game. Rox, MS, WC, D3K (I know you guys are still around).
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Gonna make this multi-platformed, right? :?: If yes count me in on a Mac beta tester. OS9 or 10, doesn't matter.
Fus
SHOK
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by SHOK »

Hey I would love to do the music for the Game. Maybe give it a quake 2 style guitar edge with some hints of descent midi flavor. Kinda a techno metal feel. Either way, my band would be perfect for it. Being a descent freak would give me the upper hand in creating some awesome music for the intro, and gameplay music. Let me know! jsherman26@earthlink.net I can provide samples upon request.

Thanks,
[NuB2]corran
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by [NuB2]corran »

Maybe a good replacement would be a chargable PPC cannon? I'm gona help out any way I can although I can't do anything in the coding department. I just believe this is the game we need to break out of PXO's shadow.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

[NuB2]corran wrote:Maybe a good replacement would be a chargable PPC cannon?
Like one of those Particle Projector Cannons from the Mechwarrior games?
[NuB2]corran
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by [NuB2]corran »

modified for style and playability but yes. Could be something that people could visually see charging and if could fire a large bolt of energy at a resonable speed. It'd have to be worked on by the developers but I think it'd be interest.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

I was kind of hoping the development crew would do weapons etc. themselves.. ;)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

A PPC-like weapon would be interesting to say the least, but care should be taken as to how much to rip things off. :)

This brings back memories of nTrap in a way - but with any luck it will exceed nTrap's longevity. Here is hoping. As long as there are publishers out there that show an interest...
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

fusion wrote:Gonna make this multi-platformed, right? :?: If yes count me in on a Mac beta tester. OS9 or 10, doesn't matter.
Fus
If they were to write a Mac version of the game, I'd assume they would write for OSX, because that means easy portability to *nix. :)
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

From what this sounds like, isn't this just another fan attempt at building a d-clone? Or is this a company with some substantial financial backing?

Also, if you want to keep the descent fan base, I suggest you keep the triplechording physics, or you'll alienate everyone ;)

Sounds cool, but a new version of D sounds like a pipe dream.
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

Someday there will be a Descent 4. It may not be made by the same people. It may not be called Descent. But the 360 degree range of motion is like one of Plato's Forms or Kant's Noumena. The model for the motion exists in theory outside of any piece of proprietary software, or outside the material (phenomenal) world.

for example. The Romans had the theoretical knowledge to manufacture a steam engine. But they didn't do it. It didn't get made for about another 2000 years. Even though there was no version of the steam engine, the theoretical possibility was very real. Same with the motion in Descent.

The steam engine was a good idea. Thats why it was ultimately made a reality. And just like the steam engine, the motion in descent is a good idea. that's why it will be done. i do not believe we'll have to wait 2000 years.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Word birdseye, any Descent clone MUST have trichording and Fusion. I doubt I would play it without them.
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

Will we be able to mod?
6DOF4E
Rice
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

From Rice @ HighOctane Software

Post by Rice »

This game will not be "Descent 4". It will be a descent-like game built on today's technology. All of the specifics are not set in stone yet, so as to what weapons and technologies are going to be used â?¦ it is still to be decided upon. I can, however, tell you that the game is being built with the fan base in mind. We are trying our best to build a game that will contain the same (if not more) excitement that stimulated you to play Descent in the first place.

This is not a "fan attempt at building a d-clone.", though most of the staff working on this project ARE fans of Descent. This project is, in fact, a full production game.

If you have any other questions, Zach and I will be monitoring this topic on this board until the official board is in place.

Rice
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Thanks for clearing that up Rice.

I trust you will do a good job on the game being that you are fans of the game yourselves.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Gotta have Trichording, that's all. Though many will be sour about no Fusion, they will be moreso without Trichording. :o
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Are you Skybox fans, or Anotherbox fans?
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Fusion & Tricording

Post by zbriggs »

Fusion> There will be a fusion-like cannon in the game that requires the skill and aptitude that the original fusion cannon had. I personally was not a big fan of the fusion cannon as I stated earlier in the forum, I am a gauss cannon / phoniex cannon man myself, but myself and my development team include appreciate the nature and the need for the fusion cannon type weapon.
Tricording> I have been working with Suncho about the tricording nature of the game. I do feel that the core model of the descent game was stewed to a perfection and is required to maintain the accurate nature of the action element.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Ok. I am excited. I'll be firing off an email to beta this game! I realize that this is intended to be a d1 or d2 style game, so some of my comments below may not apply.

My comments:
100% yes to a charging-type fusion-style weapon. A necessity IMO

100% yes to tri-chording. Another necessity IMO

D3-style afterburners would rock (see additional notes below)

No Black Shark, >please!<

Please, Reduce the effectiveness of area-effect weapons.

My gut says to eliminate (or severely reduce in power) any mass-driver (rail gun) style 'instant-hit' weapon. A three-hit kill raytrace weapon that also slaps your opponent around too much for them to respond is over-powered. If it was six hits, or didn't slap your opponent around, it would be better.

Additional notes:

The tri-chording physics as described earlier are kind of hard to understand. Essentially what they're saying is that if you move forward, while simultaneously sliding (strafing) to the side and either up or down, the vectors add together yielding a higher speed. It is essential to alter the angle of your ship so that the sideways vector and the vertical slide/strafe vectors don't make you hit walls and such. I'm sure many of our pilots would be happy to give you a demonstration in either Descent 1, 2 or 3, at your convenience. There are also videos and demos available demonstrating how this works in the various descent versions.

Note: The effectiveness of trichording can be wildly improved by use of the afterburner. D3 has a couple of dynamics with the afterburner I would advise you investigate, as it makes travelling quickly much more skill-based.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Compatibility

Post by zbriggs »

Compatibility> We used OpenGL graphics and a C base to allow for greater exportability to other platforms, such as Linux, Unix, Mac, and X-Box.

If we miss something that you would like to know please email us and let us know that we missed your question and we will make sure we post it. Send the emails to that to development@highoctanesoftware.com.

If you have things that you would like to see contributed to the game please email your suggestions to suggestionbox@highoctanesoftware.com. We will be using this forum as a guideline for the development of the game but it is also hand to have it in the email.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

WooT for OGL, I hate D3d
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

D3D=Microsoft=:evil:
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

All I want to see is the development staff with some breathing room... :)

Make it a new game. Yes, take hints from the three Descents for gameplay, but leave a game that has a new and refreshing take on the idea. (Now I sound like some marketing guy...)

I'd even be willing to get rid of shields in favour of armour plating and sectional damage, if it made the gameplay better.
suicide eddie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by suicide eddie »

the reply i,av just been sent

Please feel free to send more people also, we are looking for quite a few
more and we need people who loved the game as much as we did.

Thank You.

Zachary Briggs, Executive Producer
HighOctane Software
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Question: how long has this game been in development so far?
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Development Period

Post by zbriggs »

Development Period> The development period thus far has been one and a half years.

Zach