DVD Authoring/Copying Resources Sought

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

DVD Authoring/Copying Resources Sought

Post by WarAdvocat »

I've done a lot of googling, and there's a lot of contradictory information. As it seems that the D3 community is more than usually competent in these types of things, I was hoping I could get you guys to contribute some of the web resources you find helpful, as well as mentioning any software packages etc.

I'm pretty much brand new to this. I'm interested in learning about the following ATM:

High-End Video Editing Software (Adobe Premiere Pro? Vegas Pro?) Tutorials, etc.

DVD Authoring Software in general. (Is there a package that can start with raw footage/video in various formats and turn it into a DVD playable on my home DVD player?) What is easiest to use, what is BEST to use, etc.

From what I'm finding, there's a lot of 'old' information out there from the pioneering days when it seems like it took 10 different apps to turn one 60 minute video into a DVD playable on most any DVD player. Or is it still that way?
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

As far as encoding and dvd authoring, I'd recommend the TMPGEnc suite of software. I author all my DVDs with that and it works great. As far as editing is concerned, Premiere is pretty much the standard.
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

I've been using dvd2svcd (yes it does dvds) along with tmpgenc and virtualdub mod for encoding.
Wolf on Air
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Wolf on Air »

Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Asrale »

The forums at cdrlabs.com are a pretty good resource on CD & DVD related topics. ;)
Neitzl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neitzl »

I went out and bought the Adobe Digital Video Suite.
it has After Effects, Premiere Pro, Encore, and Audition.
After Effects is an AWESOME post program. Does tons of SFX on text/video/whatever.
Premiere Pro is only the best video editing software out there, IMHO, of course.
Encore is the dvd authoring program. I really like it, and if you have a DLT drive, y ou can create dual sided dvds. Or even if you have the new dual sided dvd burners, it'll work on them. I've created a few commercial dvds with encore, and I really really dig it.
Audition is the sound editor, used to be Cool Edit Pro.
All these programs really integrate well together, but they ain't cheap. DOH
Good luck!
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

You have the Adobe Video Collection Suite as stated above

then You have Sony's Vegas 5.0 w/Dvd Architect 2.0 programs known as Vegas+DVD Production Suite

For the weekender that does not want to spend 2-3 months learning just the basics of these 2 above then Pinnacle Studio 9

but you can also mix and match programs from any of the suites with an Video Editor like EDIUS

What it all boils down to is your learning curve, your attention span..(hahah )and how deep your pocket is

BTW I would suggest a minimum of two monitors for any of the above