Descent 3 Monsterball Match July 28th 8-10PM EST.

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent 3 Monsterball Match July 28th 8-10PM EST.

Post by SkyNet »

Hello all.

I'm setting up a Descent 3 Monsterball Match on July 28th from 8-10PM EST scheduled, but it can run over depending if everyone's having a blast. It's possibly going to have a professional host with plenty of bandwidth to spare. I'm still working on that. However my 3Mbit cable connection will be the backup.

I would like to invite all of the Descent community to come join in, and especially any Linux players out there.

If you plan to attend would you please leave a post stating such, so that I may get an idea of the size of game I'm looking at.

If you would like further information please visit my Linux community at http://www.getlinuxonline.com/ There is a calendar located on that site, and I will post updates about the game server there.

I am avaliable on IRC via Live Help at my Linux community or through #Descent3 on GameSurge. I go by SkyNet or Washu. Please feel free to ask questions.
Sirian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sirian »

Monsterball issues:

* Having everyone in the same room at the same time is hard on even broadband connects, if the game is too large.

* Might want to play Veins or perhaps that smaller set with the tunnelled levels, as a result.

* Dialup players should not play at all. Sorry, but that's the harsh truth of it.

- Sirian
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

I will be there...
:wink: Bettina
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

Sirian, Thank you for the advice. I will keep it in mind. If things don't look good for a larger scale match then we'll setup several smaller teams for round based play. Each taking turns on the server.

Things I hope shouldn't be to hard to coordinate since we'll be using both IRC, and Teamspeak.

Bettina, I look forward to seeing you there :wink:
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I wish I could, but I'm going to be on vacation. Good luck with setting it up, though :).
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I'll join. 8pET is a bit early tho (5pPT), expect me ~9pET. For the level to play I'd suggest Bankshot.

Edit: I could host a 8ppl server if need be, won't be able to play in that case tho.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Sorry but in the end of July, I going to vacation, I'm gonna miss you guys when i go to vacation :(

sorry to be off topic
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

Hey !.. Whay can't I join any Monsterball games online ..?

Do I have to re-install D3-Mercenary ?...
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Could you host Dodgeball Enhanced? Please? Pretty please? :P

http://www.gameedit.com/descent3/levels.htm

( Ego++; )
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

the best MB levels are MB Arena and Circuit Breaker
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

Okay, so far it seems we have anywhere from 4-6 who will show up. I'm not totally sure how things are going to be organized yet.

I'm thinking setting a time limit of an hour on each game, and whoever has the most scores by then wins. So for the allotted time that would allow for 2 games to be played.

The maps may very well be MB Arena, and Circuit Breaker. I for one like MB Arena.

Robo, I would very much like to host a standard map for now, however this doesn't mean that the next time around it won't happen. If this goes well then I'll host alot more.

El Ka Bong, I'm willing to help you solve your problem, but I'd rather do it via IRC. So please refer to my original post, and join one of the channels.

Grendel, forgive me for having it so early, but the time best fits my schedule. In the future I will try to accommodate for Pacific time players better.

Anyway, I really hope to see as many there that can make it.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

I'm still coming, even though it might be 3am :P

(<----- GMT)
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

I would be interested, but it's quite late for me so don't count on my presence.
JohnnnY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by JohnnnY »

Sounds good, as long as we dont do that Crossfire level I'm fine. = )
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Me + Circuit Breaker + Vauss = Your dead :P
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i loved monsterball the 3 or 4 times i actually got ot play it. :D

wish i could make it
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

I will be gone until sometime after 9, so I might catch the tail end of it, but probably not much unless we extend it to 11 or 12.
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

Extending it to 12 is do-able. However at that point I may not be attending. I'm good upto 10.

I've pretty much decided on all settings. The levels that will be played will be PowerHouse, Veins, Monsterball Arena, and Infernal Bolt. We will play each level for 1 hour. At the end of the hour, the team with the most points Wins.

There will be a Teamspeak server with two channels, Blue, and Red for those that wish to communicate via voice comms.
Sirian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sirian »

One of the secrets behind the #300baud mission packs (and the chief reason why they perform so much better than Steel Vapor) is the compartmentalization of the levels. Most of the time, each player is receiving only a portion of the packets, as the server only sends packets from those you might be able to see, and there are lots of corners that divide the levels into segments that can't see one another. Cuts WAY down on the lag and makes games with ten or twelve players feasible. Even up to sixteen, if everybody is on broadband.

I only made one monsterball level, and it's a single-room variety good only on LAN. Circuit Breaker and Veins are the best for net play.

Powerhouse and Mball Arena are both single-room levels. Good luck getting fun games in them over the net. :oops:

- Sirian
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Robo wrote:Me + Circuit Breaker + Vauss = Your dead :P
x2
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

I just realized I'm playing soccer that night... sorry =/ Infernal bolt supports monsterball?
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

Another one bites the dust :(

Yes Suncho, Infernal Bolt does support Monsterball, and I thought it would be pretty fun to play because it looks like it will be hard to get the ball into each goal.

BTW I just realized that I spelled it wrong, but I have it corrected now.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Suncho wrote:I just realized I'm playing soccer that night... sorry =/ Infernal bolt supports monsterball?
football.

*sigh* ;)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Looks like I can't make it either -- have to put up a fence.. :( I can set up a dedi server around 9:00p EDT if you want, just let me know the details.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Robo wrote:
Suncho wrote:I just realized I'm playing soccer that night... sorry =/ Infernal bolt supports monsterball?
football.

*sigh* ;)
Nope. Soccer. If I were playing football, I'd say football. =)
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

Grendal,

Yes that would be great. If you can have it use the Infernal Bolt map. It'll be a back-up if we need it. Which could prove true.

I'll be in IRC to give you more details if you need them.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Suncho wrote:
Robo wrote:
football.

*sigh* ;)
Nope. Soccer. If I were playing football, I'd say football. =)
No, football, its called football :P
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Let's have an "implied" vote. Everyone in the United States, Canada, and Australia, is voting that it be called soccer. Everyone in the UK votes that it be called football. All we have to do to figure out who is right is add up the populations of the United States, Canada, and Australia, then compare that sum to the population of the UK.

I wonder who wins... ;)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

whats the IP going to be?
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

Ok, it looks as though the host has fallen through as he's not contacted me even though I've made attempts. He still has two hours, but I'll assume the worst.

As it stands the current game IP will be: 68.119.200.195:2092 while Teamspeak will be: 68.119.200.195:8767

As always this information can be reached at: GetLinuxOnline Calendar Also be sure to stop by the Live Help (irc.getlinuxonline.com channel #GLO) section for pre-game talks.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

I still don't care Suncho, its football :P

We invented football, and you are also the decendants of us, so I wonder where the common route lies ;)

(By the way, this is still on topic as far as im concerned ;) )
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

As stated -- I'll be home (and able to host) in ~1.5hrs..
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

you guys suck.......only 3 (including me) showed up

Skynet, Johnny and myself played.....
JohnnnY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by JohnnnY »

Gg's Acecombat. That first 2 on 1 was funny. I was helping yall score for a little bit. It was hard defending you both while scoring because there wasnt any AB cooler and barely any MD rounds.

The Mayhem lvls were very fun. Circuit Breaker was fun too. Without vauss, that lvls like Burning Indika without fusion. That weapon really helped in that lvl heh. Me and Skynet did some Snake Eyes afterward which was really fun. It was fun experimenting with the Bouncing Bettys(no not bettinas heh)hehehe while trying to score and crap. I ended up doing Crossfire which is my favorite because its so thin and u can barely reach the monsterball heheeh. But we had a blast. Props to you Skynet for setting up the Monsterball server.. Good job man and GG's =)
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

Yeah, it really would have been great if one more had made it. Then it would have been 2v2, but even with 2v1 I had a great time.

AceCombat, that Circut Breaker was really fun. It was really neat watching you ball in flames from the napalm. I admit though, if I had been the one I would have done nothing but exploding.

Johnny, and I went on to playing till about 11 until he had to goto bed. We went through Snake Eye's, and Crossfire.

So the maps didn't stay planned, but if memory serves me right we went through PowerHouse, Circut Breaker, Snake Eye's, and Crossfire total.

I'll try an attempt again at hosting, and hopefully more can make it. What does everyone think about next Wed? Maybe start at 9:00 PM instead?
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Looks like I read the topic wrong again, since I actually was intending on coming :P