I'm grounded from D3 for awhile

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

with the spoiler tag
[spoiler]laf @ newbies[/spoiler]
{OSS}Paedric
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by {OSS}Paedric »

hybrid of shadowfox&b wrote: ummm she plays with mouse!
I believe that Betty told me awhile back that she used the keyboard. I may have misunderstood.
{OSS}Paedric
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by {OSS}Paedric »

Testiculese wrote:You should see what we do to the sticks at our gatherings.

[black]Hint: Bobbit[/black]

oh, ok, nm, I figured the color code was valid. So then how do you do that hidden text?
[Black] [/black] is an incorrect format for this forum. Try checking here ---> BB CODE PAGE. That [spoiler]"Spoiler Tag"[/spoiler] is pretty neat but seems to be undocumented.

This space for rent, inquire within. :-Ã?
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

your dad

Post by Ned »

Bettina,

Sorry about your hiatus (pause in playing). Your Dad is looking out for you. Be patient, you will be back online soon. Just do some other things you enjoy until you and he work it out.

And now the lecture:
The DBB seems to have a lot of nice people, however, you never know generally with the net. It's not fun to think about mental illness at your age, but it could save your life. The fact is: rape and murder do happen, and contacts that seem innocent can be something bad waiting to happen, especially to young women. Think of the math here. Lets say 1 in a thousand people are inclined towards violence given an opportunity. Hypothetically. Do you realize that is 300,000 people, or roughly 6000 in every state, ie CA, CO, MD, VA, KY, WV, TN,,,,,?! You probably have friends at school who are meaner than others. Now imagine the meanest person in a million. The US has 300 of those! You see my point? Even rare weird people are not so rare in a big country with a big internet.

Your dad is on the right track, and he will have to gradually release you into the world. As many people mentioned: photos, ages, addresses, phone numbers, school name, birthday, real name are all a bad idea. Knowing who is a sincere person takes a lifetime to develop. Many of us are not even fully able to tell yet, so your dad's thing is not an insult or babying in any way. I'm in my thirties and still suprised at how much there is to learn about people and their signals. I'm sure your dad has given you talks about staying with friends in busy places, etc. This is all because he cares about you. Bad stuff happens, but if you use your head and common sense, the chances are very slim and you shouldn't lose sleep over it.

Ned
[AuDiO]
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [AuDiO] »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:
[DWL]Punk wrote:you are dad is a sociopath.
dont listen to him.
What a stupid thing to say to a young person concerning their parent whom they live with! Try not to be such a moron, Punk.
You might try not to be such a moron, Thorne. There's this new thing called 'sarcasm' now-a-days, try it out and learn to recognize it.

-

Bet, if he didn't believe you it's ok. You didn't really have anything to prove if you were bashing him in game, right? :)
{OSS}Paedric
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by {OSS}Paedric »

[AuDiO] wrote:
Sergeant Thorne wrote:
[DWL]Punk wrote:you are dad is a sociopath.
dont listen to him.
What a stupid thing to say to a young person concerning their parent whom they live with! Try not to be such a moron, Punk.
You might try not to be such a moron, Thorne. There's this new thing called 'sarcasm' now-a-days, try it out and learn to recognize it.
Sergeant Thorne is correct. [DWL]Punk was out of line. You don't tell a person who is already in hot water to disobey a parent (who just may be looking over her shoulder). That could get her perma-banned. An upset parent is not going to see the "humor" in that remark. I know this from experience.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Moron X3
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Hey, the guy's name is "Punk". He's just living up to it. We can't all be suave urbane slick 'net hipsters.

Someone has to be the village idiot!

Bettina: Find and download the d3 No-CD crack. And listen to your Dad. Don't give out pics or personal information on the net, no matter HOW appealing it seems.
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

BUNYIP to da rescue!
*super hero music*
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I think you guys are getting off-topic with the rape stuff.

D3 doesn't do a file checksum, does it?

If you were to say, go to google.com and type in or paste descent 3 cd crack followed by hitting the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button, you may or may not be presented with a web site with a CD crack for D3 1.4 US, so that you don't need the CD to play. Download mirror 5 is probably a winner. This is purely hypothetical of course, since I wouldn't want to break any DBB rules by linking to it. :o
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

you know, in theory, such information could be transmitted through private messages.
{OSS}Paedric
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by {OSS}Paedric »

Lothar wrote:you know, in theory, such information could be transmitted through private messages.
Theoretically speaking, it's probably a bad idea to imply that hacking game files is a good thing to do because if a theroretical parent discovers that his theoretical child is playing some hypothetical game after being advised not to, said theoretical parent just may decide to perma-ban his theoretical child from the internet, gaming, and much of this childs social life for an undetermined lenght of time.

In other words, you aren't helping Betty by advising her to crack her game after her father confiscated her discs so give it a rest. He does look over her shoulder and does read what is posted here. Capishe?

The issue has already been resolved.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

...theoretically speaking in a hypothetical sense .... of course.

;)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

You know, she owns the disks so it's nothing illegal :P I own 4 sets and I run the no-cd crack.. :)
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Lothar wrote:you know, in theory, such information could be transmitted through private messages.
Theoretically, I think you're supposed to lead by example. :P
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

theoretically, though, I wasn't posting anything that I thought should hypothetically be sent in a PM. In theory, I'm supposed to lead by example when necessary, and by telling people what to do when necessary.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

{OSS}Paedric wrote:Theoretically speaking, it's probably a bad idea to imply that hacking game files is a good thing to do because if a theroretical parent discovers that his theoretical child is playing some hypothetical game after being advised not to, said theoretical parent just may decide to perma-ban his theoretical child from the internet, gaming, and much of this childs social life for an undetermined lenght of time.
My parents don't find out what I don't want them to know, and there's nothing theoretical about that. :)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

jeff, who ever said anything about you? I think that hypothetical was directed at the person you were advising.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Lothar wrote:theoretically, though, I wasn't posting anything that I thought should hypothetically be sent in a PM. In theory, I'm supposed to lead by example when necessary, and by telling people what to do when necessary.
But remember, this is JUST THEORY.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Lothar wrote:jeff, who ever said anything about you? I think that hypothetical was directed at the person you were advising.
Of course, but if I can do it, I just assume someone else can. And quit replying every 30 seconds. :P
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

WA... we posted pics of ourselves all over the place back in the day.

I don't think the wierdoes of the internet are playing D3. They're usually in the Yahoo chatrooms and AOL.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

No they Play CounterStrike and HALO/UT2k4 :P
{OSS}Paedric
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by {OSS}Paedric »

Grendel wrote:You know, she owns the disks so it's nothing illegal :P I own 4 sets and I run the no-cd crack.. :)
It has nothing to do with the legality of using the no cd crack. It has everything to do with going behind her father's back and you know it. All of you suggesting (in a less than theoretical way) that Betty crack her game are doing her a disservice. Should her father find out that she had modified her game to run without the CDs, he would most likely uninstall the game permenantly. I know that if my son had violated a trust like that, I would do (and have done) the same. I have an idea that a couple of the other parents on the board would also.
Jeff250 wrote:My parents don't find out what I don't want them to know, and there's nothing theoretical about that. :)
Your parents might not be as dumb as you think they are. They might just be giving you enough rope to hang yourself with.
[DWL]Punk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [DWL]Punk »

WarAdvocat wrote:Someone has to be the village idiot

Thats Right!

The past couple of generations are getting smarter, i'm sure a 14 y.o. or whatever now a days can make it on her/his own without any parental guidence, i mean they already have sex, smoke cigarettes, and listen to satanic records we call beauty on their own. hell, it's the only thing that makes kids human these days huh. not to metion their personal journals wich they mark your words in bold.. jagged lines every single day of their useless lives.

face it, your daughters are going to have sex, drink untill they drive, smoke untill they fly, maybe have an abortion or two, hell i'm only 20 years old, and i have enough experience of observing these behaviors through constant analysing (probably from the green). any amount of control you lay on your kids is not going to help any. once high school is over, they forget everything you have put them through.

Christianity, catholic girls, democracy, brainwash, self deviance, self pitty, self destruction, meaningless .., will be our lives.
the 50's are over.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

wow.
another 20 year old that somehow stumbled upon the hidden knowledge and infinite wisdom i didn't have access to when i was 20.
:P
[DWL]Punk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [DWL]Punk »

well some of us are special :P
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

when i was 20, i had sex 331 times that year. i'm such a bad, bad person.
{OSS}Paedric
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by {OSS}Paedric »

[DWL]Punk wrote: Thats Right!
... once high school is over, they forget everything you have put them through.
Until you have children of your own, then it will all come flooding back to you. You aren't the first and you won't be the last to make such a declaration, only to have to eat their words later in life. Do you honestly think that you will let your kids get away with everything you tried to get away with? I doubt it. I'm so sure that you will allow them to smoke, drink, do recreational drugs, stay up till all hours, bunk school, and not do homework. You aren't that special Ed. You will become your parents in the fullness of time.

It's amazing how smart your parents become once you have children of your own.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Lack of strong parental guidance is actually a large contributing factor to the chaos that you speak of, Punk. The reason that it has gotten so bad in your area is that it is undoubtedly past the first generation. It's a downward spiral. The only answer that really strikes at the heart of the problem is God, who created the world and everything in it: God's word (the Bible) shows the world as it really is (I would suggest the New King James translation--NKJV), and God has made the way to life for everyone in Jesus Christ.

*edit* - I realize that this has become a candidate for the E&C forum, but I wanted to post my view on the matter; this is as far as I am going to take it.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

:
I like how punk quoted me and then proves me right :)

Vindication rules.

Truly, our society is still reaping the disaster sown during the hippie era. When parents don't think they have the right to tell their children what to do, those children grow up to be adults with the morals of jackrabbits.

I have a personal theory that there is a backlash taking effect as my generation, and the one following, the 20-somethings and the 30-somethings begins raising their children. I don't think that much will change in the trailer parks of our country, but the lower middle-class and above seem to be raising children a lot better than their parents raised them, with discipline and morals.

Which is not to say that those children won't rebel, but being one and two generations away from the hippies and the me generation seems to be making a difference in the way these kids are raised, and thus the severity of their rebellion.

The sad thing is, as Thorne noted, in disadvantaged segments of society, after the first generation loses it's spirit, it is a downward spiral.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

[DWL]Punk wrote:well some of us are special :P
I guess I'm the exception to the rule, because I don't fit your mold punk.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

{OSS}Paedric wrote:
Grendel wrote:You know, she owns the disks so it's nothing illegal :P I own 4 sets and I run the no-cd crack.. :)
It has nothing to do with the legality of using the no cd crack. It has everything to do with going behind her father's back and you know it. All of you suggesting (in a less than theoretical way) that Betty crack her game are doing her a disservice. Should her father find out that she had modified her game to run without the CDs, he would most likely uninstall the game permenantly.
Exactly why I never suggested that after giving it a minute of thought -- I's just following up on a previous post. OTOH after she got the CD's back it may be worth doing it so she frees up her CD drive -- I'd suggest to let the father know about that tho.
{OSS}Paedric
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by {OSS}Paedric »

Grendel wrote:Exactly why I never suggested that after giving it a minute of thought -- I's just following up on a previous post. OTOH after she got the CD's back it may be worth doing it so she frees up her CD drive -- I'd suggest to let the father know about that tho.
I can agree with that logic. It's the "Crack the executable and play behind your father's back after you have been grounded" logic that is just wrong headed.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Well, this doesn't seem to be about me anymore, but I've been reading these posts and want you to know that I got my disks back, we had a long talk, I got his point about the newspaper, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I haven't had sex, I don't hang around with bad kids, I'm an A- student, I don't swear, I use a keyboard and mouse, and he's glad I'm like Hillary Duff instead of Lindsey Lohan, though he doesn't know who they are.

He did read all your posts up to the point of yesterday and liked what he read. Thanks to you guys for helping me.

Now please don't fight here....fight me in the mines instead. I'm gonna stop being a subway girl and play some other levels too.

Luv
Bettina
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Good cuz subway sucks.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

i'm really bettina... this has all been a hoax.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

TheCops wrote:i'm really bettina... this has all been a hoax.
That's what I heard in the subway ... :)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i think this thread is dead now :lol:
hybrid of shadowfox&b
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by hybrid of shadowfox&b »

bah i dont think so!!!
{OSS}Paedric
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by {OSS}Paedric »

It has served it's purpose and run it's course. Anything else would be flogging a dead horse.