Doom 3 Min Requirements

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Doom 3 Min Requirements

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Salesman actually talked me out of buying the game. Anyone else try playing the game on a Pentium III. My, I feel so outdated. Min req. say Pent IV
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Doom 3 is one of those games that pushes people to upgrade just to play. D3 used to be that way too. :)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I do not feel a need to upgrade with my Athlon XP @ 2.4 GHz / FX 5900 ultra, I'm getting perfectly playable rates.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Anyone here playing it on a Ti4600 card? With around an Athlon 2800 level processor? If so please tell me if the game is very playable or if I need to splurge for a new card soon
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

It's very playable with those specs vander
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Yea, I'm on a 2500+ (well, its overclocked to like a 3200+) but with a gf4 ti4200 64meg card - 1024x768 runs okay, gets choppy once in a while, but playable.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Must.....get.....new....system! Must.....play......Doom3
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

if you'd read up on it, you'd know doom3 plays worse on overclocked systems than it does on the same system at stock speed. try putting it back to nromal, changing the cache to 256 and playing at high. with that rig you can run that just fine unless you have alot of spyware/virii on your system. a defrag may help too
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I still dont get how a game can play worse on an overclocked system.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

I read that Carmack recomended against overclocking your videocard, because Doom3 used function that might not have been used fully before.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

Avder wrote:I still dont get how a game can play worse on an overclocked system.
carmack said that doom3 will use parts of your video card that normally aren't utilized and aren't "broken in" and it could cause some damage. kinda like starting up your car in -30 degree weather and punching it all the way to work without letting it warm up.

i'm not quite sure how overclocking the cpu would hurt rather than benefit, but the hardocp benchmarks showed it running better on stock.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

I'll see how it runs on my XP2100 /w 512MB and GF3 Ti500... But I'm not expecting too much since I couldn't run Far Cry properly.

And to think this system was top spec once... Amazing. Now just about anything blows my rig right out of the water :)
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

tricord, i bet you could run it on minimal details with that cache tweak. switch it to 256 or higher and see if you can get it to run smooth on 640x480 :P
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

doom

Post by Ned »

my friend bought me a copy of Doom, now I'll defintely need to upgrade just to open the box. . . .
propain
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by propain »

Avder, Im playing it a ti4600 with a p4 2.4, 512rdram and multiplayer was almost unplayable, or maybe I was on a sh!tty server. Single player is great and I think between work and Doom3 I've got about 3 hours of sleep this week.