What gives, PD?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Ympakt
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

What gives, PD?

Post by Ympakt »

I'm not sure which forum this should go into, exactly; Mod's feel free to move it.

Anyone else having trouble with PD? I get the "this page can not be displayed" error. Did I miss something? I've tried a couple of different computers (all on my LAN) and no joy... :?:
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

down 4 me 2
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Same here.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Same since yesterday..
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

It's been refusing connections, so I think its server might have crashed or something. I'm kinda curious as to why GameSpy hasn't noticed that PD isn't functional.
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

Me too.
I guess it is another result of Descent's downfall. :(
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

No, it's a result of poor IT at Gamespy :P.

Thunderbird, you can ignore the e-mail I sent last night. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one that couldn't get on, seeing as how no one made a topic here until today.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

How long is Gamespy obligated to keep up PD?
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

Will PlanetDescent come back on?
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

I don't expect it back before Monday, but GameSpy could surprise us :P.

(EDIT)The FTP does still work for me in uploading files (since it's on a different server), so there's a new item with the new D3 mission database that got uploaded :). Though right now I can't update the database with the levels cause I can't get to the scripts (doing it via the database itself is too damn tedious).
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

I've taken advantage of this downtime to do some other code modifications, mainly enforce limits via the code itself to save me the frustration of having to delete oversized avatars manually. The avatar uploader no longer accepts files that exceed the 35KB limit.
Kd527
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kd527 »

I hope it comes back extrememly soon! It will come back, won't it? They do have a backup server, don't they??
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

/Arnold: We'll be back! :P

(Kd, we'll sic your avatar on them if they don't comply soon >:))
Kd527
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kd527 »

haha! go for it! :twisted:
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

If it's not back by the time I get home, GameSpy's Techsupport is getting a little email from me :P.
Boo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Boo »

Still not back. :cry:
Kd527
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kd527 »

*pleading voice* get it back soon!

wow, I didn't know there were so many of u guys here also. traitors ;) It was this thread that made me join today.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

PD, WHERE ARE YOU?!?!??! :P
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Just my luck

Post by TechPro »

I leave for 2 weeks of vacation and look what I come back to! :x

Wonder why I don't do much with GameSpy... :?:
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Ironic how immediately after they send me a poll about my satisfaction with GameSpy hosting, the site goes down for days.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

then on the other hand, you could always abandon that silly board and call this place home. Then we could finally have a united community..

First one that throws something at me gets one right in the kisser :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

/me pitches a Poke'ball at Stress ..
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Bring them here? They'd go insane.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

They had to make room for the masses of DIII sheep with more storage space for PlanetDoom, so they took the site that had the least amount of traffic and updates per month....

before you even attempt to flame me. Take a look at every other Planet Site, have you found one that has a Hyperlink to PlanetDescent.... but only a week ago almost everyone of them did....even PlanetDuke RATES...weird huh?

Plus it seems that PD's only News source is the DBB..
when it returns(if)... Point the PD forum to the DBB. revamp PD as a resource center, and Please Throw out the SHiznitty crap code at that site..utter Garbage!
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Yes, that is weird.

Someone needs to make a RIP PlanetDescent tombstone pic....
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Duper wrote:/me pitches a Poke'ball at Stress ..
*tells Duper to use Iron Tail on Stress*
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Holy ★■◆●! Dark Falcon actually made a non-serious post! ;) Theres hope for ye mate!

*raises guiness bottle*

Cheers!
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

BUBBALOU wrote:They had to make room for the masses of DIII sheep with more storage space for PlanetDoom, so they took the site that had the least amount of traffic and updates per month....

before you even attempt to flame me. Take a look at every other Planet Site, have you found one that has a Hyperlink to PlanetDescent.... but only a week ago almost everyone of them did....even PlanetDuke RATES...weird huh?
Funny, I don't ever remember seeing another Planet site with a link to PD. In fact, I think PD had one of the longest lists of links to other Planet sites. Most others have a few standouts and links to the basics, like 3D Action Planet. Speaking of that, PlanetDescent is still listed at 3D Action Planet. As the Hitchhiker's Guide would say, "Don't panic." :P I doubt it's very wise corporate policy to suddenly cut a hosted site loose without prior warning. And, contrary to popular belief, as well as the current content of this forum, not everyone is interested in Doom 3. I, for one, would be happier if Doom 3 just dropped off the face of the Earth, but that's just me :P.

All kidding aside, I'm surprised that no one has shown real concern over the prospect of no PD. Think about it: where do noobs go first? That's right, PD. The resident trolls here would scare any noob out of his/her skin within a few minutes :P. The PD forums provide a good starting point to Descent, and those of us that frequent them know how to provide useful, non-intimidating help to new players. Besides, PD is the only real central file repository that this community has. While all of the files are hosted on the DFiles server, regardless of PD's up or down status, how are you going to look through them without a web-based interface? For a community that has its last hopes pegged on new players, you don't seem to care too much about the one central place they can go first to care about Descent. Hmmm...maybe it's because PD is still focused on Descent, unlike the turn that this forum seems to have taken. Might as well call it the Doom3 Bulletin Board now :P.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Besides, no one here lets me post my wierd ideas on the front page :P

All kidding aside, think about this. In terms of the descent community, if the dbb went down, we'd lose a ton of players. If pd went down for good,
it's all over. thousands of files lost. The only place that's really helpful to new players gone. An entire descent forum vanished. PLUS we'd lose a ton of players.

When all is said and done, I don't believe for a second that descent can survive on the dbb and gameedit alone.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Some things to note:

If GameSpy was really cutting PD out, you'd think they'd take out a few more parts of it. As of now, only the server is offline. The files on the FTP are intact, the FilePlanet files are still there. The links from the other Planet sites (I've only bothered checking 3D ActionPlanet) are still present.

So, I'm betting money that PD will be back. GameSpy's Tech Support has an email from me about this, so hopefully it will be soon.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I wouldn't think they would discontinue it without notice, anyway.
Kd527
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kd527 »

yeah. besides, PD is more than just forums! (and it doesn't use this crazy BBcode stuff ;))

Are the forums and profiles and such in tact still?
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I think you guys underestimate this communities resourcefulness. If anything ever happend to PD permanently there certainly would be a period of time where everything was in termoil but eventually there always seems to be some dedicated individual(s) that step up and fill the void.

I'd wager most of us here have virtually every file that ever applied to our descent usage available on PD lingering on our HDs or stored on disk somewhere. It wouldn't be THAT long before someone created another outlet for potential 'new' players :roll: to download everything they needed again.

Losing PD or losing the DBB would be bad, but not the end of all things. Quite a few people over the years claimed that armageddon would happen if PXO ever went down for good. Since it went down I really haven't heard that many people complaining. Granted I haven't been checking the DBB as frequently as I once did but still...

Anyways, the point is don't count your chickens before they've hatched. You can speculate all you want, but until it actually happens you never know what will come out of it.
Kd527
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kd527 »

PD better come back again. PXO didn't matter too much anyway, because D2 is the best!:P I dunno. If PD went down for good, I bet someone could make another one (e.g. something like descentplanet.com). If only I had a server...;)

Tbird, what's that gamespy email address? :twisted:

too bad this didn't happen to DBB!:}:P
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

i never liked planet descent for forums. i always just posted here... seems like a bunch of 14 year olds over there.

wait... i seem like a 14 year old.
:P
Kd527
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kd527 »

heheh. there are a lot of people around those ages, but it's still fun.

I'll admit I'm 15. :}
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Yes, we could tell....
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I do agree, however, that the PD forum link should point back here, that would effectively unify the two sites.
Kd527
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kd527 »

I don't think so. There could be a link looking like another forum that takes you here, but PD should retain it's own forums.