Hub problems....

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

xceptional1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Hub problems....

Post by xceptional1 »

I'm on a shared cable connection in my new house with my room mates. I just dropped bucks on a 5-port hub and an ethernet cable... The modem is on his computer, weve got everything plugged in, while it was off, and mine won't work... Is there another piece that I need, or am I doing something wrong?

thanks,

wake
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

You need two network cards in the machine that the modem is plugged.

All other machine's gateways need to be set to the NIC that does not have the modem(On the machine with the two NIC's)

Why did you get a hub? You wasted your money. You should have asked here before you bought network hardware, one referral to do a search for Linksys would have given you the information you needed to NOT buy a hub :)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Get a Router...or leave his computer on FOREVER

This is your brain, this is your brain on the internet, any questions
xceptional1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by xceptional1 »

yes, I'm an idiot when it comes to computers, thats why I made a post in this forum...

the guy who lived in my room before me had some kind of configuration that his dad rigged up. All I know is it included a hub - and it was working until the gu y came and picked it up to take with him. What's the most fool proof way to make it where I can also run the cable connection to my room. So do I need to look into getting a couple of network cards or a router... or both?

I guess I'll try taking the hub back to wal-mart..
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Get a router, and a network card for each machine. Plug the router next to the modem. Plug the modem into it. then run a line from each machine to the router. Then RTFM to set the router up. Recommend Linksys brand. The 4 port ones are less than $50 nowadays, if you go to the right store(avoid the retail-chain stores). Make some calls from the yellow pages.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

MIght as well get one with wireless incase you will need it later. (You can always turn that portion off) If you have a CompUSA, you can get a linksys 802.11b model with a 4 port switch for 39.99 after a 20$ rebate. Pretty good deal. But it will end soon