Download D1?

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Download D1?

Post by Defender »

Can you actually download the whole game anywhere?
PD seems to only have the D1X patches.

I figure since it's so freakin old and the source has been around for a long time, you could d/l the game.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

It was never publicly released as freeware. Of course, you could probably find it at some place of questionable legality, such as Bittorent. The whole download wouldn't be more than 20 MB (ain't old games great? :)). I would personally like to see D1 and D2 available for free, since they are definitely in the category of abandonware. However, if you wanted to get an official copy, I know I've seen the Definitive Collection for sale on EBay.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

My backup of the Descent dir is 14 MB zipped, (8.5 MB when I use 7z compression).
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

[NuB]Digijo u/p d1x to his ftp and i downloaded it. only like 12 mbs. find him in chat.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Unauthorized duplication of the game is copyright violation (it's called warez, people). It's illegal and, despite any arguments you may have about the likelihood of you getting prosecuted for it, is not tolerated at all on the DBB. Take it elsewhere.

Parallax released the source code so that people could edit the main executable to add features and whatnot. Nobody is allowed to redistribute anything but the executable (no game data such as levels, textures, or models, for example).
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

DCrazy wrote:Unauthorized duplication of the game is copyright violation (it's called warez, people). It's illegal and, despite any arguments you may have about the likelihood of you getting prosecuted for it, is not tolerated at all on the DBB. Take it elsewhere.

Parallax released the source code so that people could edit the main executable to add features and whatnot. Nobody is allowed to redistribute anything but the executable (no game data such as levels, textures, or models, for example).
You forgot sounds. ^_^
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Ok, just checkin.
Thanks.
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

Top Gun wrote:However, if you wanted to get an official copy, I know I've seen the Definitive Collection for sale on EBay.
Yea, thats what i'll have to do since my brother has my d1 and d2 cds in south korea ;(
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

I remember getting D1 with all the patches from a PC Gamer magazine years ago, it was being given away then.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

PC Gamer most likely had to pay Interplay for rights to do that (I do know they had to pay for the rights to distribute Duke Nukem 3D when they did that).

If Interplay decides to make Descent freeware, then it will most likely be posted to PD. Until then, I will not do so, for obvious legal reasons.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

I have D1, the only reason I asked was ppl on another board I post at made a thread about cool free games.

So I was wondering if D1 had hit that stature yet.