Descent 2 needs TCP/IP now

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Ah, understood. More or less. :) I still haven't fully come to grips with the intricacies of networking, but I get the idea...

A client/server system would probably not hurt, especially if it was possible to keep the damage handling the same as it is now, just with everything routed through a server or something. Likewise an internet tracker.

And if I understood a little more about what was involved, I wouldn't be averse to helping out... but unfortunately I don't know jack (yet) about network and internet handling in code. Nor about Windows programming, actually... heh.
JohnnnY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by JohnnnY »

For the d2x 0.2.6, when I downloaded it, I only get around 10 fps on a Athlon 1700 XP in Windows 98. Could it be the O/S that I'm using?
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I just picked up a book on multiplayer game programming. I may just be arsed to implement it.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hmm... what version were you using - SDL or GL? SDL is generally going to be slower unless you have a super-fast computer. (Although I would have thought an Athlon 1700 would qualify.)

In addition, what kind of video card do you have? If it's really old and you're trying to run the GL version that may just happen... although unlikely.

The other thing is, for some reason, the music often slows Windows versions down. Does it still run so slowly when you wind it down to zero?

Of course, it could be your OS. I personally haven't tried D2X on Win98.
JohnnnY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by JohnnnY »

Doh, I downloaded the DLL's and it runs at perfect speed now about 50 fps at 1024x768. I still can't get the twist working in d2x 2.6. I downloaded diedel's version and that didnt help either. When i started playing, all the walls wear clear, showing the whole level because all the walls were clear lol.