Mouse problems with Logitech Mx310

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Mouse problems with Logitech Mx310

Post by ReadyMan »

I recentrly switched from a logitech mx300 mouse, with a scroll wheel/button, and a small button just behind the wheel.
this mouse works great...both the scroll wheel button and the small button work great in RTS games.
however, I switched to the mx310 mouse which has 2 other buttons: one on each side of the mouse, in addition to the scroll wheel button and the small button behind the wheel.

this is my problem: the scroll wheel button and the small button behind the wheel no longer register while in a game (Rise of Natins in particular).

I tried uninstalling the software that came with the mouse, and the scroll wheel button began to work, but I cant get the small button to work.

the two side buttons registerin the game, but as alt right click or something like that.

I switched back to my mx300 and have no problems....but the new mouse is very usefull.

Has anyone got any ideas what the problem is?

thanks!

RM
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

there's a patch you can find on Logitech's site that should fix this.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

from memory "Logitech Utility".

If you haven't already, make sure the "Enable mouse acceleration in games" is ticked. Image
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Heh. I saw that option...what does mouse acceleration do exactly?
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

me and bfdd had this problem, solution:

uninstall mouseware, clean registry, reboot, voila.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

I tried the latest mouseware software, but it didnt change anything.
I uninstalled the mouseware software, rebooted...and again the scroll wheel button works, but not the application switching button (the small one behind the mousewheel).
agh!

so with none of the changes can I get the small button to work in-game.
however, both side buttons work fine.
frustrating.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

I don't think you can get those buttons to work(the fast scroll and app switch buttons) directly.

Not all games even recongize the thumb buttons.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

you need to purge logitech's mouseware from the system completely for it to change anything. if the game worked with the 300 it will work with the 310. if you follow my advice to the t, you have a 99% chance of success, on the offshoot that its something besides mouseware cuasing the problem - which it almost definately isnt.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Mouse acceleration means the faster you move your mouse the faster the mouse moves - proportionally. So, at low speed the pointer is very accurate (aiming around the reticle!) but when you slam it sideways you do a complete 180 degrees almost instantly.

FPS games without mouse acceleration means much lifting of the mouse in order to make rapid turns. Worth using.
XeonJr
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by XeonJr »

Most gamers prefer no acceleration because of the severe decline in accuracy..

As for the problem at hand. Use the logitech software to map a kb function to those buttons. Problem solved!
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

or yeah, do as xeon says. Image
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Thanks for all the input.
changing the key function of the buttons makes each button work in-game now.

the bummer is though, that outside of games, my mouse buttons arent too functional Image

there should be a way to get the buttons to be recognized in-game, but it's not the gaming software, its the mouse software, since disabling it makes at least the scroll button work....

either the software should assign additional mouse buttons as mouse button 4, 5, etc
or there should be a type of profile for the mouse, so that you could selecet RTS mouse, or FPS mouse, each with a different set of functions assigned to each button.

the logitech software doesnt allow this, tho they did write a utility that allows the mouse to be adjusted for games...but it doesnt do either of the two options above.
here's the link if anyone's interested...maybe it will help someone:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/suppo ... ocuments=0

the mx310 has a cool function for the little button called application switch, which allows you to quickly switch between all open applications...assigning this to "page up" (heh) for games, is a waste of cool desktop functionability.
Akasha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Akasha »

Hey, ReadyMan,

The mouseware that comes with the mouse sucks, download the new one and the advanced one from logitech.com.

Mouse acceleration means that if you move your mouse faster than the mousespeed, it doubles the distance that you moved it. Don't use this in D3 or any other FPS's. This is why your scroll wheel won't work, because of the old mouseware. I had that same problem in D3 until I installed mouseware v9.79. Also, you can change the mouse back to "windows mode" by going to the first tab on the left in your mouse properties. Then just change the "Universal Scroll" to "Middle Button." Then each time you play D3, you can bind a key to the left mouse button for Fusion and Mass Driver, and bind the 2 key to one of the other buttons so you can switch to Vauss/Mass Driver and switch back. Do this, or use two USB mice.

And don't say USB sucks, Xeon. ^_^ Because with USB you can tweak the registry after plugging in the PS/2 plug and plugging it out and assign 5 to the MouseResolution parameter, which gives it the 800 dpi resolution. Also, you can set the sample rate to 200 Hz or something. I have my sample rate set at 250 Hz. Same cord, remember, Xeon? ^_~ With USB, you can also use the ForceAbsolute variable, which allows you to either turn better or aim better.