Descent Dodgeball

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent Dodgeball

Post by Liquid Fire »

I'm currently working on a new level called descent dodgeball. The level itself is extremely simple, but should play very fast and (hopefully) be very fun. The level itself is just a gym with two sides divided by thin rooms in the center of the gym that have enough wind to not let anyone to the other side. The trick is it would only be played as team anarchy and there would only be one weapon: balls which are spawned in two trash cans on either side behind the bleachers. Now, the actual level itself is done. I'm learning how to make new weapons, and that's the thing that could take a while. But I have three questions:
1: what should be the ball capacity?
2: how many balls should players start out with?
3: how much damage should the balls cause?

Comments on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed the d3.descent.cx tracker being down?

Edit: Also, I intend to remove the concs. Do I have to script it or is there an option in the .gam editor that lets me set how many you start out with?
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Try have it so that the balls appear at the start of the game rather than having them as weapons. Have the balls unaffected by weapons, bounce off walls and never slow down. The balls would kill enemys straight away if they hit an enemy and the weapons would only affect the balls.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Otherwise, have the ball capacity as one and have one-hit-kill. The weapons could have different sizes and speeds.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Make the ball count 2, IMO. You can either script secondaries to be disabled for all players (owner: level, event Player (IT) respawned, action disable secondary) or just make concussions do no damage, be invisible, and have no blast radius or blast image. Give the player 1 ball to start.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

I think I'll go with stryker and give the player 1 ball to start with and a 2 ball capacity. And the balls WILL be one-hit kills, of course.

By the way, the gymnasium I made looks pretty good, if I do say so myself, and it will fit the mod perfectly.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

If you can, try to add basketball nets and a climby-thingy (*ahem*) to the arena.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

If you want some custom ship models, I might be able to provide a couple cool models... Or if you need help doing any of this, don't hesitate to ask here.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

The ships I'll leave as they are, but I've never messed with weapons before. I think I'm close, but it's going to take some time.

Also, I was recently reminded of a ctf level I did a while ago and never released because I didn't have time to do scripting. So whenever I get bored of dodgeball, I'll work on that.

Now that I think about it, I should look around in my d3edit files again. I had some good ideas in there, but not the know-how to implement them.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Err...where exactly do you find the ship.gam files? on the tutorial at gameedit, it requires alterations of the ship.gam file. Do I need to create a new one or alter the original one?
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

You can find the ship .gam files in the table.gam embedded in your d3.hog file. If you want to mod the BP, you'll need to get your extra13.hog and extract the .gam out of there. Then append that .gam to the table.gam for a complete listing of all files in D3. If you can't extract the .gam files, I'll send you the .gam listings you need.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

By the way, the name "Dodgeball" has already been taken as a monsterball level. But try "Descent Dodgeball".
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

I'm aware of that level. Note the topic of this thread, "descent dodgeball"

:wink:
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

*grumbles*
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

You could try to make the dodgeballs like a fusion cannon except, instead of strength, you could have speed.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

I hope this level will work with the linux descent3. :wink: