STEREO IMAGES of the L9 Ribosome WARNING! HI-BANDWIDTH

This is the place for chat on DBB Distributed Computing projects... remember team #39070 for Stanfords Folding @ Home project.
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

STEREO IMAGES of the L9 Ribosome WARNING! HI-BANDWIDTH

Post by Lobber »

To view the images, cross your eyes until both images merge into one, using your hands held up in
front of your face, pinkies in, cover the extra images on the sides until you have a single solid
three dimensional image. You may need to move further away from the monitor until it comes into
focus. I apologize in advance for the size of the images, they need to fit in your monitor for the
effect to work.

These are different images that I generated using a program called RasMol and the
data file that contained all the coordinates of every atom in the
entire structure that came from this page.

Abit of figuring out where to find a program that will open this data file, then abit more figuring
how to open it, and abit more figuring how to use the program, and voila, 3d stereo images of the
ribosome that my WU is currently working on a core sample of.

Here is a quote from the Stanford site about this particular structure:
We have been running simulations for 10 months now for project 638, in an attempt to fold
the largest, most complex, slowest folding target to date. We call it L939 K12M - which means that it is
the first 39 residues of the L9 ribosomal protein and that residue 12, formerly a Lysine (K) has been
mutated to a Methionine (M). Projects 693 and 694 (more to come soon) complement the previous NTL9
work. Specifically, all of the previous simulations study the behaviour of the wild-type molecule which
should be directly comparable to a great deal of experimental information generated in the Raleigh
lab at SUNY. One especially, fascinating question that we hope to address: Why does the mutation of
one amino acid (K12M) double the folding speed for these molecules?
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I think youve got left and right reversed. Look very closely at them.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

It works for me ... kewl
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

It is how the program generated the images. You could do this: Print one of them out, cut the image
down the middle, reverse (flip them) the images, and use a vertical piece of cardboard to separate them
while one eye looked at each image.

Or, just cross your eyes and hold your hands in front of your face to block the two side images
leaving the middle one intact. It is not easy to do with these, I manipulated the angles of the protein
to try to make it as easy as possible to see.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

dude thats friggin insane!!

i love it.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Someone needs to do stereo animated gifs.
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

I can do that. It simply involves turning the molecule and taking progressive screenshots, which
are already GIF's, and then compiling them with a GIF animator program.

The problem is that the image host I'm using only allows images 1024 kb in size, and each of these
images are roughly 150 kb. They wouldn't be very good animations unless they were large, and then I
wouldn't have a host for them.
Instig8
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Instig8 »

That's pretty cool. Your instructions to 'hide' the unused part of the image from each eye was quite helpful.

Make the animations. I'm sure there are plenty of members here who have plenty web space available (including myself).

Email me if you want me to host the files. Be sure to put 'server' in the subject somewhere.