Q&A session with High-Octane

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

crap did i say the 16th?

yea it's the ninth.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

[quote="Vlider"]Well the good thing with 1 ship, that eliminates ship bitchin :P

Well, there is THAT! HeH!

All in all, this game looks great. Well thought out, lots of options, lots of weapons.

I really like the idea of the noob/pro servers...yet another answer to stop the complaints.

I got the distinct idea that this will re-introduce Descent gameplay with a better Descent, which means the future of 6D gaming looks mighty bright 8)
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Neo wrote:
Geo-Mod sucks, because it's too easy for people to make a big hole in the floor and for players to get stuck in the floor (or in HighOctane's game's case, the walls and the ceiling, too).

You're not thinking in 3D Neo. You're flying a ship. How could you possibly get stuck in a floor in a hole?

Also, realistic physics aren't always fun. Getting knocked around with matter weapons isn't fun. *cough*Mass Driver*cough* *cough*Vauss*cough* =P
Thats why you impliment this maneuver called dodging. ;)
argh >_< You guys are dumb as ice! :)

I didn't say that people will get stuck in the floors in Core Decision, but if Geo-Mod were in the game, then they would get stuck on the walls like in D3. =P

And one can't dodge Mass Driver and Vauss. They're instantaneous. =P One can only hope to move away from the line of sight and not get hit.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

The Rail Gun is meant to be the ultimate sniper rifle. It should have an x-ray scope on it.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

you know as well as I do Dcrazy that you can't please everyone all of the time. Permissible C/S has the effect of not being able to fire your weapons right away. and that's not descent.
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

Mobius wrote:Concur DCrazy, P2P is only good for 1v1 games - or for games where the players are ALL within close distance of each other. Having ANY player more than 50ms away from the other players makes P2P a living hell!

One thing which WOULD help multiplayer P2P games is a HUD option where we could add a person's ping time to you below theuir HUD NAMES, hovering above the ship.

That's at least tell you how far to lead the laggers!
I hope you're not basing your opinion on Descent 3's P2P because that ★■◆● is just garbage. If they would have left it the same as d1/d2, descent3 wouldnt have such a void in the 1on1 department all these years. Instead players had to wait til a good lan for 1on1 action.
Pugwash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pugwash »

Alex wrote:<{HighOct}Alex> but we plan to integrate cloaking more into the main stream gameplay
This is VERY dissapointing to me. If I go into a game of D3 that has cloaks I leave IMMEDIATELY. Cloaks are the gheyest thing ever. If I want to play hide and seek I will go play outside with my kids.

The chat also makes it sound as if this is going to be an MD/fusion dominated game again, just what we dont need.

Could someone (who actually knows wtf they are talking about) please clarify these points?
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Guess what? It ain't Descent. The gameplay WILL be different, however slightly.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Pugwash, they make a big point about how the MD-style weapon will be weakened so it doesn't totally dominate.

Fusion is supposed to dominate, though.
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

Pugwash wrote:
Alex wrote:<{HighOct}Alex> but we plan to integrate cloaking more into the main stream gameplay
This is VERY dissapointing to me. If I go into a game of D3 that has cloaks I leave IMMEDIATELY. Cloaks are the gheyest thing ever. If I want to play hide and seek I will go play outside with my kids.

The chat also makes it sound as if this is going to be an MD/fusion dominated game again, just what we dont need.

Could someone (who actually knows wtf they are talking about) please clarify these points?
I couldn't agree with you more , cloaking sux
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Cloaking stinks--if it's done improperly. A good cloaking system (I.E. drain energy like crazy, your ship will still cast shadows and be partially visible) would actually be kinda cool.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

It's not an MD-style weapon. It's a rail gun. It won't slap people around and disorient them if it's a rail gun. They also didn't say that the Fusion-style weapon (the Tesla Cannon) will dominate.

Ferno, most games today with permissible client/server don't have the late-firing effect unless the game is really laggy, in which case, one would call it a n00by server. =P Using client/server wouldn't help, it would just make it hard to hit people. Try not to compare other games' permissible client/server netcode with D3's permissible client/server netcode. mmkay? ^_~
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Neo, I've seen it on UT2004
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Dunno what the guys are planning for netcode, but if there's any delay from clicking fire, to a weapon firing, then it pretty much blows. I've got a nice DSL connect in NZ, but can't ping the US west coast servers at anything under 210ms. East Coast = 250ms+. I don't mind leading people by 250ms, but can't see how reducing my ability to fire when I want increases the likelyhood of hitting someone. I'm prepared to be convinced, but I'm also prepared to be disappointed.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Say, is there some chincey Java based web client or something I could use to connect to the IRC server? It seems that mIRC has just now made it onto the college's firewall block list, so I need an alternative untill this gets traightened out.

★■◆●ing IT nazis....
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The only difference between permissible client server and normal D3 client server is when you see the shot you fired. Everything else is the same, the shot on the server is the same. Permissible C/S is better on one aspect, what you see is what you get.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

yes but playing in d3-multi with non pc/s feels like a real-time game, that is what makes it so fun. and if you do it long enough you know how to lead your shots.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

There is a Q & A coming up in a few hours yes?
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

It's at 9pm Eastern.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

what do i need?...just IRC?
i dunno the protocol for the q&a....

just that ferno gets to give and take aways peoples voices...which makes me mad...cause im not gonna be allowed to interupt people talking with meaningless outbursts..

i guess thats ok though..
so...ya..
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

thank you all for coming... log will be posted shortly.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Anything new in this second one? I missed it.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

Anything new in this second one? I missed it.
Not really...

Highoctane handed out beta versions of the game to everyone at the Q&A and we were all playing it having an awesome time when someone stopped the game and said "Hey lets all make a pact that those here will become the first team for this game and we will admit no new members"...we all agreed and continued the game...

Highoctane agreed to send us all gold pins with the games logo and our team name and individual names to signify our new brotherhood. They also said our team photo would be featured in the box for the game when it hits store shelves...

The only thing new that you might have missed i guess would be that it turns out that "Alex" is actually suncho..Thats crazy right? :D
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Know what else would be nice?

If someone edited the log, sorting out the crap, and separating each question/answer etc.

That would rule!
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

WarAdvocat wrote:Know what else would be nice?

If someone edited the log, sorting out the crap, and separating each question/answer etc.

That would rule!
Good idea! I nominate WarAdvocat for that task. :P
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Speaking of logs, is last night's available anywhere yet?
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

(09:06 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> <T-Ball> What will be included in the November Beta test? Where will the LAN2019s be held? Also, will the beta be available to those who do not attend the LANs?
(09:07 PM) <@[8]Ferno> and i'm sure he has a few
(09:07 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> The LANs are not Beta tests
(09:07 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> They will be used to test *EARLY* versions of the game to find bugs and get feedbacks
(09:07 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We have not decided when or where they will be held yet.
(09:08 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> When we get to the Beta stage, beta versions of the game will be released online for testing.
(09:08 PM) <@[8]Ferno> welcome zach
(09:08 PM) <@[8]Ferno> bill
(09:09 PM) * {HighOct}Alex sets mode: +v Zach-HighOctane
(09:09 PM) * {HighOct}Alex sets mode: +o Zach-HighOctane
(09:09 PM) -ChanServ- You may not op users who lack op or greater access.
(09:09 PM) * ChanServ sets mode: -o Zach-HighOctane
(09:09 PM) * [8]Ferno sets mode: +o Zach-HighOctane
(09:09 PM) * Zach-HighOctane is now known as {HighOct}Zach
(09:09 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> <T-Ball> Will this early test version be available to the public or just the lanners?
(09:10 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Each LAN will test a newer version
(09:10 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> The versions tested at the LANs will only be available to the attendees.
(09:11 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> OK
(09:12 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> <T-Ball> Can you describe how the cloaking system works?
(09:12 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Well the whole cloaking concept originally developed as a solution to problems we had with the Rail gun, our other instant hit weapon, the Rapier Cannon, and Houdinis, which is what we call Markers/Cameras.
(09:13 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Originally we were thinking about just not having a Rail Gun. But then we realized that if we wanted to have an InstaReap-like Game Mode (Splitkill), we were going to have to have a gun that went with it. No matter how much you weaken the damage of a Rail Gun it's still point and click cheapness. Even you weaken it to the point of uselessness, it's still cheap and annoying. We wanted the Rail Gun to remain devastating without it being cheap. Impossible, right? No. The design we eventually settled on is as follows:
(09:13 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> The Rail Gun does not cause an instant hit of damage. Instead, the damage is not only delayed, but spread out. You'll start taking damage from the hit a few hundred milliseconds after the impact and your shields will drain over a period of a second or so.
(09:13 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We call it Gravity Damage because the shields use anti-gravity technology. If a player cloaks during any time after taking a hit from a Rail Gun, it will prevent any further damage from that hit.
(09:13 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> The Rapier Cannon is our Vulcan-like weapon. We dislike instant hit weapons, but realize they are neccessary. So to reduce the dominating nature of our Rapier Cannon while keeping its power, we decided that it will simply passes through cloaked or cloaking ships.
(09:14 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We decided to make Houdinis deployable weapons like mines. But the problem was that no matter how many shields we give them, as soon as someone sees one, he'll destroy it. Solution? Houdinis are now cloaked. You can't destroy what you don't know is there, but if you find it you can kill it.
(09:14 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> The cloak is no longer a powerup. The fact that you couldn't pick when you wanted to be cloaked in the Descent games made the cloak pretty much useless. Instead, the ship comes with a built in cloak and a cloak bar on the hud that works just like the afterburner bar.
(09:14 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> The cloak also plays a pivotal role in some of our Game Types such as Onslaught.
(09:15 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> <[MS]Cire> Can you give some descriptions of the weapons, beyond just the names?
(09:15 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Well I can say that we haven't decided what many of the weapons are going to look like, but we do know how they will all function.
(09:16 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> To give you a sneak peak, we have something called a Plasma Grenade
(09:16 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> It moves like an Impact Mortar Except when it explodes it turns into a bunch of plasma balls like a smart missile
(09:16 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Instead of homing though, they just move slowly outward in a sphere
(09:17 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> The slowly moving plasma balls will act as an obstacle people have to fly around
(09:17 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> <T-Ball> What is the HUD/Cockpit like?
(09:17 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> It's made up of a bunch of components that can all be enabled/disabled.
(09:18 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> These include, energy/shield info, weapon info, afterburner bar, and the cloak bar.
(09:18 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Also there will be an mp3 player built into the HUD
(09:18 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> and the automap can be viewed on the HUD
(09:18 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Of course it also has your reticle and your view ports (rear view, Houdini views)
(09:19 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> <[MS]Cire> How do you plan to balance being able to cloak whenever you want?
(09:19 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> I'm glad you asked
(09:19 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Firing decloaks you.
(09:19 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Afterburning decloaks you.
(09:19 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Getting hit by anything decloaks you.
(09:19 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Cloaked players can see each other clearly.
(09:19 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> It takes 5 seconds complete the cloaking process, during which time afterburning, shooting, or taking damage in any way, will cancel it out. This means that the cloak can be used for sneaking up on people but not for running away.
(09:20 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> If you try to run away and cloak at the same time, the other guy is going to catch up to you and kill you because you can't use the afterburner.
(09:20 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> In a nutshell, Cloaking is useful for sneaking into people and we also use it as a method for curbing weapons that would otherwise be overpowered.
(09:20 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> <[8]Ferno> Do you have anything that's akin to the Smart Mine in D2?
(09:20 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> The Tricky Bomb is like the D2 Smart Mine
(09:21 PM) <@[8]Ferno> ok so it spews homing globs aswell
(09:21 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> yes
(09:21 PM) <@[8]Ferno> woot
(09:22 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> <[MS]Cire> will there be any "powering up" of weapons, i.e. lasers to quad/super lasers, or any similar weapons, such as spreadfire vs helix?
(09:22 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> we don't have any powering up of weapons
(09:22 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> if one weapon is inherently better than another that means it's not balanced
(09:23 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> we do have similar weapons such as the Particle Disruptor and the Quantum Disruptor
(09:23 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> which are analagous to D3's lasers and super lasers
(09:23 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> But we keep them balanced
(09:23 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> They're like 2 different flavors
(09:24 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> <T-Ball> Will there be an announcer for multiplayer similar to the one in Unreal Tournament?
(09:24 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> we haven't decided yet
(09:24 PM) <@[8]Ferno> (this is just an opinion) i'd keep it out
(09:24 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> You do realize that having the cloak "take 5 seconds complete the cloaking process, during which time afterburning, shooting, or taking damage in any way, will cancel it out." will make it compleatly useless and remove any benefit it might have added, since i will easly switch weapons after you have started to cloak and score massive damage if not a kill?
(09:24 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Yes I do realize that
(09:25 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> That's why the cloak can only be effectively used to sneak up on someone and not to run away or hide.
(09:25 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We don't like runners and campers :)
(09:25 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> so cloak in private and then move in
(09:25 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> <DCrazy> 1. Are doors sprites or solid objects?
(09:25 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Solid objects
(09:25 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> <[MS]Capm> Will you be able to set a transparency on the targeting recticle (or the entire hud for that matter)?
(09:26 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Good idea.
(09:26 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We haven't thought about it and we'll take it into consideration
(09:26 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:26 PM) <[MS]Cire> so when cloaked, are you completely invisible, or is it a more "predator" style, distorted shape of the ship?
(09:26 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> completely invisible
(09:26 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> except to other cloaked ships, in which case you appear brighter than normal.
(09:26 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> then how does it help prefent the domination of rail gun type weapons
(09:27 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Rail Gun uses Gravity Damage which can be prevented by initiating the cloaking process during battle.
(09:27 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> example:
(09:27 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> I get hit by a mass driver
(09:27 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> I start cloaking
(09:27 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> I don't take damage
(09:27 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> because the damage is applied *AFTER* the hit
(09:28 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> and if I start cloaking, before the damage starts affecting me it's completely prevented
(09:28 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> <DCrazy> 2. Is Diedel's DMB2 rewrite (DLE-XP) compatible with the DMB export tool? If not, will the source to that tool be released?
(09:28 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> yes
(09:28 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:23 PM) <T-Ball> Will there be an announcer for multiplayer similar to the one in Unreal Tournament?
(09:28 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We've thought about doing that.
(09:28 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> If we do end up implementing it, there will be a way to disable it.
(09:29 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:26 PM) <T-Ball> Can you describe the ship? Is it fast, slow or mostly like The Pyro?
(09:29 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> The ship moves just like the Pyro-GX from Descent 1
(09:29 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:26 PM) <DCrazy> and 3. Is the Client-Server model closer to D3's regular C/S or Permissible C/S (in which the client has to request permission from the server to move or fire weapons)?
(09:30 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We're working with a few different ideas and the system we finally end up using will be based on the results of focus group and user feedback during the testing process.
(09:31 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:31 PM) <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> i mean.. ill r unn around constantly with rail gun
(09:31 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:31 PM) <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> forcing people to cloak unless they want to take damage
(09:31 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:31 PM) <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> then weapons switch and score the kill
(09:31 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:31 PM) <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> or atleast a hit
(09:31 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:31 PM) <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> killing their cloaking in the process
(09:31 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:31 PM) <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> then do it again
(09:31 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> When they begin to cloak, they are not locked into it
(09:31 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> they can fire back at you. It just decloaks them
(09:32 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> So if your enemy has your Rail Gun timing down he can just hit the cloak key every second, but other than that, keep fighting as normal.
(09:32 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> So in other words, you'd want to switch your weapon in order to compete with him.
(09:32 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Not because he's defenseless
(09:32 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:32 PM) <[MS]Capm> Another Q - Will mod teams be able to get ahold of tools to start modding b4 the games comes out or after?
(09:33 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> After
(09:33 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:32 PM) <[MS]Cire> What do you mean when you say the ship's shields use anti-gravity technology? Is it just to sound cool, or does it effect gameplay in some way other than the ones you've mentioned before?
(09:33 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> It's part of the storyline.
(09:33 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Basically it's just to sound cool
(09:34 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:32 PM) <DCrazy> How much control will server ops have over weapon balance, placement, and distribution?
(09:34 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Full control
(09:34 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> we even have a game mode where weapon spawning works like it does in D1
(09:34 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> It's called ZeroSum
(09:34 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:34 PM) <slowguy> will ship skins be an option?
(09:34 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We haven't decided yet
(09:35 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> If it is, it will be disableable
(09:35 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Otherwise everyone will just fly around in black ninja ships :)
(09:35 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:34 PM) <T-Ball> Could you give us a short plot preview?
(09:35 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> It takes place in the future and your mission is to shut down the Global Earth Alliance's RAVEN network.
(09:36 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:33 PM) <DCrazy> Will mods be in the form of add-on DLLs or will they be scripts?
(09:36 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> They are in the form of add-on DLLs
(09:37 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:34 PM) <[8]Ferno> will there be a way for observers to watch the game (IE: judges of a 1v1 ladder) to keep score and if needed catch cheaters?
(09:37 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> yes
(09:37 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> we actually have separate settings for the max players in a server and the max observers in a server
(09:37 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> you can have a 2on2 server with 3 observer slots for example.
(09:37 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> of course the 4 actual players could go to observer if they wanted to as well.
(09:38 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:36 PM) <[MS]Capm> If ship skins were enabled, would it be like it is in D3 where you can make everyones ships stand out like a cow, or will you be able to control only how your ship looks?
(09:38 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> your ship
(09:38 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> It would be like D3 ship logos
(09:38 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:36 PM) <[MS]Cire> Is there going to be anything to deter admins from turning off weapons during the game? Like, if he's getting owned by fusion or it's equivelant, what's keeping him from just disabling it?
(09:38 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Absolutely not
(09:38 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> we give the server op free reign
(09:38 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> He can do whatever he wants.
(09:38 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> That's his priviledge
(09:39 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:37 PM) <DCrazy> Will the game have demo functionality?
(09:39 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> yes
(09:39 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:38 PM) <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> ship powerups? rapid fire? quake like armor? megasheilds? double dmg?
(09:39 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> no
(09:39 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:39 PM) <[8]Ferno> If needed, will the hardcore players disable cloaking entirely?
(09:39 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> yes, and the afterburner too.
(09:40 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> but it might cause serious imbalances in the weapons.
(09:40 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:39 PM) <T-Ball> When will your site be up and running? Info, news ect.
(09:40 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> When we have info, news, etc. ;)
(09:40 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> No seriously, we're very busy and we hope to get it up as soon as possible.
(09:41 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:40 PM) <DCrazy> How much will the game cost when it is released? If I was willing to pay extra would you sign my copy? :-D
(09:41 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> aww
(09:41 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> *sniff*
(09:42 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> I'm shooting for $30 - $35 dollars.
(09:42 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> Will probably be a discount for online purchases.
(09:42 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:41 PM) <T-Ball> Will the gameplay the same pace as Descent? Slower? Faster?
(09:43 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We want you to be able to forget you're not playing Descent... if only for a moment. :)
(09:43 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:41 PM) <[MS]Cire> How did you manage to get 105 FPS with 16xAS, and 6xAA, in a pre-bata version? Are you using some new method of optimization? Or just a simplistic level?
(09:44 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> :)
(09:44 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> The engine is running very nicely.
(09:44 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> It was also taken with a 3.2GHz HyperThreader
(09:44 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> and a Radeon 9700
(09:45 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:40 PM) <[8]Ferno> How will the demo system be done? I know forsaken had a type of demo recording system where you could watch it from both sides of a match
(09:45 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> In Descent 3 you can watch from both sides too
(09:45 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> press the "p" key to cycle I believe
(09:46 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> we should at least support this functionality, yes.
(09:46 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:43 PM) <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> will there be anything like HLTV or GTV?
(09:46 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We're looking into it. I can't give a definite answer at this point.
(09:46 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:43 PM) <DCrazy> Follow-up: those online purchases: will they be downloadable or will they just be online orders shipped to us (I want the box and manual and stuff)
(09:47 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Downloadable
(09:47 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:46 PM) <slowguy> will movement in the early single player missions be restricted to help new players? and if so will it be possible for the more advanced players to play these missions unrestricted?
(09:47 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> movement in singleplayer will never be restricted
(09:47 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> however, the difficulty will be designed in such a way that you won't *NEED* to use chording until later in the game.
(09:48 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:47 PM) <[MS]Cire> Can cloaking be disabled, if for some odd reason people don't want to play with it? How about the afterburner, or any other features of the ship?
(09:48 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> yes and yes
(09:48 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:47 PM) <[MS]Capm> How large (in file size) do you expect the demos to be (for an average match length)?
(09:49 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> The system uses a method of motion tweening and scripting so it actually just store coordinates and actions.
(09:50 PM) <@[8]Ferno> impressive
(09:50 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> we'll try to keep the file sizes reasonable
(09:51 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> the exact number depends on a lot of things that haven't been determined yet. Sorry. :)
(09:51 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:48 PM) <[8]Ferno> downloadable? if so.. how will you implement a copy protection scheme?
(09:51 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> A key system.
(09:51 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> Similar to UT2k4
(09:52 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:48 PM) <[8]Ferno> What will the name of the ship be?
(09:52 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Glad you asked
(09:53 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We're going to be taking ship name ideas from the Descent Community and then we'll have a poll to determine the final name.
(09:53 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> and no
(09:53 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> you can't pick "Pyro"
(09:53 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:50 PM) <slowguy> will ships have flairs? headlights?
(09:53 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> The ship has flares
(09:53 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> There is no headlight because things get brighter when you get close to them just like Descent 1.
(09:54 PM) <@[8]Ferno> hahaha
(09:54 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:49 PM) <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> Dedicated severs that do not need a license to run? win32 and linux?
(09:54 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> OK, I have been considering two concepts
(09:55 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> 1) the dedicated server is on a server license that is substantially cheaper.
(09:55 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> 2) I don't plan to make the dedicated server licensed to promote the spread.
(09:55 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> :)
(09:56 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> All will require that the servers register though.
(09:57 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:54 PM) <[MS]Cire> Will the single player resemble D1/D2's or D3's more? Will it mostly be puzzle solving/finding switches, or mostly action?
(09:57 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Think Megaman. Think Space Invaders. Think Afterburner.
(09:58 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> If you mess up you can see how you messed up and how it's your fault
(09:58 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> the only puzzle is the puzzle of "how am I going to defeat these robots?"
(09:58 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> single player levels follow a simple key->reactor progression just like Descent.
(09:59 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:51 PM) <DCrazy> Key system... WON/Steam style?
(10:00 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> we're trying not to be tied into one matchmaking service
(10:00 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> the details have yet to be ironed out.
(10:00 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:54 PM) <T-Ball> You mentioned a map...Will robots/players show up on this map?
(10:00 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> What you can see, what your teammates can see, and what your Houdinis can see will be visible on the map.
(10:01 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Also team color coded bases will be visible on the map.
(10:01 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:55 PM) <[MS]Neo> Is there mouselook in the game?
(10:01 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> no
(10:01 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> well actually
(10:01 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> more specifically
(10:01 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> moving your ship and moving your head will be 2 different functions
(10:02 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> by default your head is locked into looking forward (ie. at the nose of your ship)
(10:02 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> but you can look to your right and behind you
(10:02 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> without turning your ship
(10:02 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> that'll basically be impossible using todays gaming hardware, but we anticipate virtual reality and head mounted displays.
(10:02 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> so yes, there will be mouselook, but it'll only be for looking ;)
(10:03 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:59 PM) <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> Im confused....arnt those statments exact oposites? pay for a server license(cheaper) vs don't plan to make dedicated server licensed? i just want server companys(art of war central, etc) to have as little hasle as possible adding this game to their roster.
(10:03 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> yes they are
(10:03 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> those are 2 options we're considering.
(10:04 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> we haven't picked which one of the 2 to use
(10:04 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:00 PM) <slowguy> will the game come with a level editor? can we import level geometry from 3dsmax, lightwave, d3edit?
(10:04 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> yes to all of the above
(10:05 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:01 PM) <DCrazy> Will the map be fullcolor (D3) or wireframe (D1/2)?
(10:05 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> It will be monochrome translucent
(10:06 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> it will be visible on the hud.
(10:06 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> ie: not wireframe, but not full color either. :)
(10:06 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (09:59 PM) <[X]JBOMB> question: Like in D3...will i still be able to crush type killing ferno? :P
(10:06 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> yes, but only ferno
(10:06 PM) <@[8]Ferno> LMAO
(10:07 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:04 PM) <[MS]Neo> Will I be able to use the mouse to play (like FlightSim mode in D3)?
(10:07 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> yes
(10:07 PM) <@[8]Ferno> guess you shouldn't have stopped in the hallway liek that.. ;)
(10:07 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:02 PM) <DCrazy> Will the head snap back to facing forwards like in flight sims?
(10:07 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> no
(10:07 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:06 PM) <[8]Ferno> When you blow the reactor, will the automap display routes to the exit using different colored lines?
(10:07 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> no
(10:07 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> you have to find the exit
(10:08 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> If anyone has any additional questions, please message me.
(10:09 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:09 PM) <Vlider> will a boss robot be named Ingus? lol
(10:09 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> that information is top secret
(10:10 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:09 PM) <slowguy> will the afterburner behave like it does in d2? or will it be more like d3's afterburner?
(10:10 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> it'll behave like d2's afterburner in that if you hold it down and it's empty, you'll move forward.
(10:10 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> That's instead of D3's afterburner where you just come to a dead stop after it runs out.
(10:10 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> But it will be pulsable like the D3 afterburner.
(10:10 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> On the other hand it won't shake.
(10:11 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Also we recognize that some people create hardware mods that automatically pulse their afterburner for them.
(10:11 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> So there will be an option in the game to set automatic transmission on your afterburner so it pulses on its own at top speed.
(10:11 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> people who use this will have less precision in tight maneuvers though.
(10:12 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:11 PM) <slowguy> so you'll have more speed in the high percentages?
(10:12 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> exactly
(10:12 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:11 PM) <Top_Gun_> What type of singleplayer experience are you planning? The standard blow-the-reactor of D1/D2, something more goal-based a la D3, or some type of mix?
(10:12 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> standard blow-the-reactor
(10:12 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:09 PM) <[MS]Neo> Will the Rail Gun have an x-ray scope?
(10:12 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> no
(10:13 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> :)
(10:13 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> LOL
(10:13 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:08 PM) <[8]Ferno> will you be including a guidebot for those who get lost?
(10:13 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> no
(10:13 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> and by not including a guidebot, that'll force us to design our levels in a non-confusing way. :)
(10:13 PM) <@[8]Ferno> :P
(10:14 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:13 PM) <slowguy> will the game engine support shadows?
(10:14 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> Yes it does.
(10:15 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:14 PM) <T-Ball> Is there a Mercury missle equivalent?
(10:15 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> The Rail Gun.
(10:15 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:15 PM) <[MS]Neo> How did you get involved with HighOctane? What do you do there?
(10:16 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> I have been working in the gaming industry for years. I used to work for Outrage and then THQ. I am currently the lead designer on this project.
(10:17 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:13 PM) <[X]JBOMB> Question...in this new game will i still have a fat mouth?....(built in chat?)
(10:17 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> we have built-in IRC support
(10:17 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:12 PM) <[8]Ferno> Will you put in a system that when people are typing when there's a battle raging alla round them will they get smacked around like a pingpong ball? lol
(10:17 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> no
(10:17 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> but we may include a system that allows you to type and fly at the same time ;)
(10:18 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Any further questions?
(10:18 PM) <@[8]Ferno> i might.. hang on gotta think of one
(10:18 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:18 PM) <[NuB2]Stryker> what kind of support for modders are you giving?
(10:19 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> Two kinds.
(10:20 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> There is an friendly creation tool or you can write the mods in C++
(10:20 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:19 PM) <[8]Ferno> Will you have an 'in-your-face' system much like D3's?
(10:20 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> no
(10:20 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> but we do have some other things in store for you folks.
(10:20 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> we will announce them further into the project
(10:21 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:18 PM) <[MS]Capm> Will you be able to control via soley the keyboard itself?
(10:21 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> yes
(10:21 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:20 PM) <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> why twenty weapons? fewer weapons = easy balence.
(10:21 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> because we wanted to copy Descent.
(10:22 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> It might be harder this way, but we're pros. :)
(10:22 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:20 PM) <Top_Gun_> What type of general storyline will the game follow? In other words, will it be similar to the Descent series' nanovirus-infected mining bots, or something more complex? (I understand if this is too much of a spoiler to reveal :P)
(10:23 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> As with Descent 1 and 2, the story will *NOT* interfere with the gameplay.
(10:23 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> In other words, the game would be just as fun without the story. The story is just extra spice. :)
(10:23 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:20 PM) <[MS]Capm> I don't remember if this was covered or not, so forgive me if I'm repeating this - whats your average polycount on the ship/robots?
(10:24 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> That all depends on how many resources we decide to devote to that area of the project. As always, our main concern is to have solid, dynamic, and entertaining gameplay.
(10:25 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> I'm hesitant to give you a number now because it'll change by the release date.
(10:25 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:24 PM) <slowguy> how many single player levels are you guys aiming for?
(10:25 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> 50
(10:25 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> But they're not huge clunkers like D3's levels.

Session Start: Thu Sep 09 22:30:04 2004
Session Ident: #High-Octane
(10:30 PM) * Now talking in #High-Octane
(10:30 PM) * Topic is 'Message {HighOct}Alex to get permission to ask a question.'
(10:30 PM) * Set by [8]Ferno on Thu Sep 09 21:01:00
(10:30 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> The bots will have a certain nature to them that will make them entertaining instead of cannon fodder like in D3
(10:30 PM) * [8]Ferno sets mode: +o {HighOct}Alex
(10:30 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> [MS]Capm Will you be using LOD's on the models, ships/robots or just powerups?
(10:31 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> It all depends on how many resources we devote to that area of the project.
(10:32 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> The models use a reactive dynamic mess to simulate appropriate behaviors at the moment.
(10:32 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> mess=mesh
(10:32 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> T-Ball Will the robots use more teamwork? Or just do their own thing?
(10:33 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> robots will each do their thing
(10:33 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> but they will be placed in the level strategically in groups
(10:33 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> again, thing Mega Man
(10:34 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> *think Mega Man
(10:34 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:31 PM) <[MS]Neo> Will there be HUD messages or awards like double kill, quad kill/multi kill, most deadly, etc.? =) =)
(10:34 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach> Top_Gun_ Sorry if it's a double-post :P: Although your single-player game is the standardblow-the-reactor/ boss, will your level editor support custom scripting to create more complex level events?
(10:35 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> As with the announcer, if we have it, you'll be able to disable it.
(10:36 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> If our level editor doesn't directly support it, we will include it in our modding system.
(10:36 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> either way, the ability to do complex scripted events will be in there.
(10:37 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> If anyone has any further questions, please message me.
(10:37 PM) <@[8]Ferno> i pm'ed zach one
(10:37 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:37 PM) <slowguy> when will you start accepting beta testers? have you started accepting people already?
(10:37 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> The beta testing phase is a ways away
(10:37 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We will be doing the LANs before we start accepting beta testers.
(10:38 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:37 PM) <T-Ball> If you were to release a screenshot now, would people be impressed by what they saw?
(10:38 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> we have released them to people who signed NDAs and yes they were impressed.
(10:38 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:38 PM) <slowguy> are the lans open to anyone willing to come?
(10:38 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> yes, but they will have a limited number of seats
(10:39 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> details will be available come November.
(10:39 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:38 PM) <[MS]Capm> Are these Lans you will be organizing or will you be going to community organized lans?
(10:39 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We might work with communities, but we plan to have team members at each one.
(10:40 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> [8]Ferno
(10:40 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> will the models support technologies such as TRUFORM?
(10:40 PM) * {HighOct}Alex sets mode: +o {HighOct}Zach_
(10:40 PM) -ChanServ- You may not op users who lack op or greater access.
(10:40 PM) * ChanServ sets mode: -o {HighOct}Zach_
(10:40 PM) * [8]Ferno sets mode: +o {HighOct}Zach_
(10:41 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach_> OK. our models use a reactive dynamic mesh system that allows for realistic simulated responses.
(10:42 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:37 PM) <[MS]Neo> So, have you guys thrown rank/titles and statistics completely out the window? :)
(10:42 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We have left ranks and titles up to the experts (ie. established online gaming leagues and ladders)
(10:43 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:40 PM) <[MS]Capm> Will you be using rotational veloctiy similar to D3's?
(10:43 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> it is something similar, yes
(10:44 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Any further questions?
(10:44 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:44 PM) <[MS]Neo> Is Core Decision going to be a Win64 application?
(10:45 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach_> Many aspect of the program structure will be threaded to take advantage of the 64-bit architecture.
(10:45 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:44 PM) <[MS]Capm> Multi-monitor? multi-processor?
(10:45 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach_> Both
(10:46 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach_> The viewports can be spawned for peripheral vision.
(10:46 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:46 PM) <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> wide screen? 16:9? 16:10?
(10:46 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach_> If you so chose.
(10:46 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach_> The view is a plugin.
(10:47 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:46 PM) <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> so it would be scaled then?
(10:47 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> yes
(10:47 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> the game supports custom aspect ratios.
(10:47 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:46 PM) <[MS]Capm> If you had 3 screens, could you keep your center view on main, and put side views on the other two, or a 2nd monitor being dedicated to a rear view?
(10:47 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> yes
(10:48 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Another note to mention is that you'll be able to set up your rear view to be like a mirror
(10:48 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> That way you won't have trouble driving after you play our game :)
(10:48 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach_> :)
(10:49 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach_> Man I hate that. I loose more mailboxes like that.
(10:50 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:49 PM) <Sligar> will you be able to alt tab out of the game so you don't ever get stuck in it? How about a windowed mode?
(10:50 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> yes yes
(10:51 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Would anyone else like to ask any questions?
(10:52 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:52 PM) <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> any job openings =d
(10:52 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> email jobs@highoctanesoftware.com
(10:54 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:54 PM) <[MS]Neo> Will the HUD look like a real ships cockpit (graphical) or will it be like D3 with an open cockpit?
(10:54 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> It'll be like a completely open cockpit
(10:54 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> you won't even be able to tell there's a ship around you unless you look in the mirror
(10:55 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:52 PM) <STRESSTEST[]> <[X]JBOMB> i should ask this question: Do your models use a reactive dynamic mesh system that allows for realistic simulated responses?
(10:55 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach_> The meshes has a property set that allow for the material to behave in the appropriate manner.
(10:56 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach_> I.E. if it is an apple you can squish it.
(10:56 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach_> And apple's don't bounce unless my girlfriend is throwing them.
(10:56 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach_> :)
(10:56 PM) <@[8]Ferno> haha
(10:57 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:56 PM) <[MS]Capm> So the models will deform in real time depending on where they get hit (is it per-polygon hit detection also)?
(10:57 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach_> That will depend on what we intend the model to do.
(10:58 PM) <@{HighOct}Zach_> It model has it's own dynamics.
(10:58 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:57 PM) <[MS]Capm> Visable battle damage?
(10:58 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Our engine supports it
(10:58 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Our engine supports all this stuff
(10:58 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> But for the most part we choose to keep gameplay simple
(10:58 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> If we keep it intuitive, we keep it fun.
(10:59 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:57 PM) <[MS]Neo> Is there a weapon similar to the Helix Cannon/Spreadfire Cannon?
(10:59 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> The Edge Cannon is like the Spreadfire cannon but it only spreads up and down.
(11:00 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (10:59 PM) <STRESSTEST[]> Im sure this was asked during the last session since it would seem to be an obvious question to me. But I missed it if so. Will the game allow users to add pictures to the hull of the ship, and if so, will Animated images like gifs be able to be used?
(11:01 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> we're exploring the possibility of doing full-ship custom skins
(11:01 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> of course all of this would be able to be disabled.
(11:01 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (11:00 PM) <STRESSTEST[]> and at what resolution ie. Size in pixles
(11:02 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We haven't decided yet
(11:02 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (11:02 PM) <STRESSTEST[]> as a point of referance, I am talking about the ability we have now to do so in D3. Are you familiar with what I am talking about?
(11:02 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> yes
(11:03 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (11:01 PM) <[D3k]Bah^hackingteh[]> anything like q3's lighting gun? think d2 omega cannon with no stupid homing.
(11:03 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We don't have anything like the lightening gun or the omega cannon
(11:03 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (11:00 PM) <[MS]Neo> Is there a weapon similar to the Phoenix Cannon and Gauss Cannon?
(11:04 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> The Blaze Cannon is similar to the Phoenix Cannon but it doesn't bounce.
(11:04 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> The Rapier Cannon is our Vulcan/Gauss/Vauss gun.
(11:04 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (11:04 PM) <Vlider> Will there be default audio taunts for ctf game types? like unreal?
(11:04 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We're not sure.
(11:04 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Even if we put some in, we think people would just end up making their own anyway.
(11:05 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> (11:05 PM) <[MS]Neo> Will there be a menu like the F6 menu in Descent 3 in addition to the console?
(11:06 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> We will definitely have a console
(11:06 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> A comparable menu to the f6 menu is still under debate.
(11:08 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Ok everyone
(11:08 PM) <@{HighOct}Alex> Thanks for your interest in our game
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Controller Input

Post by Mickey1 »

Alex, In UT2K4 I can't use a mouse + keyboard + gamepad. I use the gamepad to tricord with my feet. Will I be able to in Core Decision ? MonsterBall? Sorry I missed the chat. Thanks for the log.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

you guys are no fun :(
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

thanks for posting that Suncho!
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Quick Q about the Raper Cannon. You guys say you don't want a instant hit weapon but you see a need for something like one. Why not use an almost instant hit weapon, such as the Vulcan or the Gauss? Both where near isntant hit, but if you where moving around, the gunner had to know how to lead.

As a side note, ever try instareap with the Gauss cannon? Fun as hell. To do it you need to load up Pyromania, get everyone in a Pheonix(other Pyromania ships don't get a weapon in instareap) and then play instareap.

Oh, and props on the AB bit. AB pulsing is awesome, but the shake wasn't :D
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I'm kinda curious how useful the Rapier cannon would be if you could just start cloaking whenever your opponent pulled it out... at least the Railgun would get damage in beforehand.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

CD (Incidentally, my initials :)) is sounding more and more impressive the more I read about it. YAY.

One request regarding the demo recording ability: please include a way to output (*or create*) AVI movies from a demo! Having to have the game installed to show someone a demo is counter productive to promoting the game I think. Any demo-->AVI facility should also output at the original game speed.

One other thoing about the demos, is that they should not play faster on a fast machine, than they did when they were recorded. This was a major bug in D3: having to tell people what rate to framecap a demo before playing it - well that just blew goats!

If you could save a demo directly to an AVI movie, at 640 or 320 mode - even if it were uncompressed (i.e. gigs/minute) then that would still be a huge step forward for the game.

I think being able to distribute stand-alone demos is a great feature, and a powerful way to market and hype the game.

Also, if they play straight from the file system/web page, it's a very valuable training tool!

Hell, I'm starting to feel like I'm actually motivated to do a "CD-Help" website, like http://planetdescent.com/d3help
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Better yet, have all of the in-game demo recording/viewing stuff (like UT, Quake, etc), then have an option in the demo viewing area of the game to output a demo to avi, or whatever format would be best. The idea, in my mind, would be to use as few resources for the recording process as possible while you're actually in the game: a system that--with the utmost accuracy--recontructs an entire game recording could concievably use a lot fewer resources (primary concern) and hopefully a lot less disk space (very important on a different level: demo sharing) to store the data, since it depends on the game itself. Later the demo could be converted to a game-independant video file at the user's convienience.

If this game you folks are working on turns out to be a good one that'd be terrific, but adding a comprehensive and intuitive demo system would multiply it's worth, in my opinion.
Sligar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sligar »

Being able to view the demo from different points of view would also be very cool - see a 1v1 match from your opponent's view, or 'frame-by-frame' from an observer POV. That way you can see what hit you from behind that one time, or whatever.

Another neat feature like that would be in multiplayer (or single player I spose) replaying the last 3 secs or so leading up to the last death, from a 3rd party observer POV. Sort of the same idea, you can see what mistake you made, or what move your opponent made. I guess this means that you'd have to be keeping demo info in a circular buffer, maybe that would reduce performance (or just take up more memory), so maybe it would be better as an option.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

OOOH - Good ideas guys! :)

I had thought about the "instant replay" thing when you died some time ago. That'd be great. Wonder if it's an "easy-do"? Being able to replay it from your perspective, and then switch to the view from the killer's perspective would be awesome. I guess the data is all on the client side, so it shouldn't be too hard to make that work. You'd just have to ensure the game stored the last 5-10 seconds worth of ship position and weapons fire data.
LEON
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by LEON »

You can have your opponents view in d3 demo. Just press the P key.

Leon
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Sure, it just works like crud and you can't see anything because the camera is jerking around so much. Plus there's a 50/50 chance of the whole thing just crashing anyways.

If they can smooth things out a bit and possibly create a camera interface instead of just r,p,and space bar, it would be greatly appreciated.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

One thing I'm interested in is the ship movement in multiplayer mode. Because the server *IS* the game, in D3, if you are dropping upload packets, you can completely avoid being hit by stuff that should hit you, simply by morphing from X position to Z position without ever passing through Y position on the server. (A lossy Lamenix/Skipnix is a classic example of this.)

Will ship positions be interpolated between packets? Will the server track ships on a route, rather than as individual, unconnected locations?

How will the server treat lossy clients? At what point do you disconnect a player for being too lossy?

What's being done to lessen the effects of ping? What is the maximum target ping for enjoyable multiplayer? How does the server treat ultra-laggy players in-game?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

If memory serves, D3 had an option to improve the accuracy of packet data.