Descent Bulletin Board folding team now active

This is the place for chat on DBB Distributed Computing projects... remember team #39070 for Stanfords Folding @ Home project.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

ImageImageImageImage

Team Ranking (incl. aggregate) 2290 of 32833
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

On board.

Nitrofox-Gamma
Nitrofox-Theta
Nitrofox-Pheta
Nitrofox-Delta

w00t
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

any of you guys locking up alot since you've been folding?

i've hard locked twice in the entire time ive owned windows xp, and i've been using it since before its official release. since i've been folding, i've hard locked 19 times.

i think i'm gonna stop doing it. its nice to help out and all, but i'm a heartless bastard and if helping people out becomes an inconvienence, then ★■◆● that.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

i've locked up a couple times already.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

I have 10 machines running this and not a single lockup guys.... :roll:
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

how often do you use them though? i use mine as my primary entertainment system - music, movies, tv, games, and for work that i bring home. nothing pisses me off more when i am in the middle of working on a formula and i lose all my progress because it locks up.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

K:

I read that the GROMACS core pushes the CPU in ways that most applications do not. In fact it uses SSE2 and 3DNow! if available. Furthermore, crashes as you describe are usually due to a RAM error. While you might not normally see a problem, running F@H pushes your entire system (MB/CPU/RAM) to the hilt. The added push plus the extra temperature may be the root of your problems.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

I've also been reading on ram and the industry assumes a 1 bit error per 256meg of ddr ram per month.

This means if you have 512 megs, that's more likely to be 1 bit error per two weeks and 1 gig is 1 bit error per week. This will cause hard locks as well, and is the reason for ECC ram.

This they say is the number one reason for random locks. And a bad bit is mostlikely to be the same physical area in your ram that causes the problem every time.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Xciter wrote:Lock ups are generally caused by one of two things... your using the GUI client/screensaver and it has OpenGL issues... or your system is overclocked and not stable as you though it was. F@H as I said before runs a CPU 4 to 6 deg hotter then most anything else out there.

I'll create a forum soon... just need a moderator for it.
I and probably a few others would probably be willing to temp mod if you wanna just set it up and get it running until you decide on a perma mod. Ive admined BB's before so I could do it *shrug* but whatever. I think Stress deserves to be perma mod tho because he set the team up and got us into this stuff, were all just following suit. So yeah, set the forum up so we can get going on it :) I'd suggest putting it in the community section since its a community effort.

/2 cents
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Xciter wrote:Lock ups are generally caused by one of two things... your using the GUI client/screensaver and it has OpenGL issues... or your system is overclocked and not stable as you though it was. F@H as I said before runs a CPU 4 to 6 deg hotter then most anything else out there.
I'll attest to that, especially with it running as a service. I'm seeing temps 6-7 degrees higher than before (also why I bought a new fan for my MCX462). No lockups though. (this is why all those days spent running Prime95 have paid off)

And JFTR, I was a damn good mod of the single player forum on the test site :P But Stress has pulled everything together here so he would be the best candidate. Not sure having him mod more than 2 forums would be a good idea though... he's just that much closer to taking over the board ;)
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

ImageImageImageImage

Team Ranking (incl. aggregate) 2216 of 32832
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Getting close guys :)
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Xciter wrote:looks like I got a mod in Iceman :)
Ice would of been my pick for mod :)
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Oh how kewl, you just made my day ... Thx!
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

KompresZor wrote:
Xciter wrote:looks like I got a mod in Iceman :)
Ice would of been my pick for mod :)
^x2
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Alrighty, got my old laptop goin now.
so that's a p3 700 & 320mb ram goin.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

yeah, i do overclock - pretty heavily. thats probably why. i'll see if it still does it if i run at stock.

i just noticed actually that when i run a certain command line with it (-forceasm) it warns against using it with overclocked machines.
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

Team Ranking (incl. aggregate) 2084 of 32869

I had a few crashes when I was overclocked I just backed it down a little and now it runs fine.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Team rank: 2035 of 32874

And I shoot up to 11th place! :D
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

2 machines and no lockups yet in 2 weeks
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

are you pushing a 2.4 @ 3.2 though?
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Since its locking up on you I'm not sure the 3.2 is workin for you there kurupt.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

kurupt wrote:are you pushing a 2.4 @ 3.2 though?

not that much OC< but im pushing my two P-II's in my server 350 MHz higher than stock
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

Vindicator wrote:Since its locking up on you I'm not sure the 3.2 is workin for you there kurupt.
never had a problem until the folding. it never locked up while i was folding either. it would lock up later on after i'd try to play a game or something. if i reboot first it doesn't do it. odd.
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

Xciter wrote:
22:49] <[NuB2]Grendel> Also I'm not comfortable w/ this kind of code (same for seti@home) as long it's not open source
Open source code leads to cheating in projects like this.
Sorry if someone has already posted this.

Actually the version of SETI@home that runs as a BOINC project is open source, as is BOINC itself. Other projects on BOINC aren't, or at least don't have to be, but you can choose which projects you participate to.

SETI prevents cheating by sending the work to multiple clients and only granting credit after checking that the results match.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Regarding the Dual Xeons thing, Ive read that you need to do a U-wire mod to get these to run with enough voltage at higher FSB/Multiplier settings. Is this so? And if so how hard is it to do the mod?
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

You have a piece of speaker wire around there? And have something to cut it with? I assume your fingers work well enough to bend one strand of copper from it.

Well, there ya go.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Ok, I can do that easy enough. Now, what grade DDR ram would I need to have? A friend of mine says I'd only need PC 1600 at most for this, but assuming that I'm gonna shoot for 2.65GHz at 166x16, wouldnt I need some PC 2700 at least? I'm gonna see about getting the dualies and the PC-DL from Asus. The ram grade that I need will determine if I can afford to get into this...if its sufficiently low its a go. Also, reccomend some coolers that will work on the PC-DL Asus Board? Quiet coolers. Ive got enough loud comps as it is. Also, would I need to install win2k Pro or Server to take advantage of the Dualies and HT...friend says server since 2k is supposed to only support 2 CPU's.

That should be about everything I need to know to set this up.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Avder wrote:Ok, I can do that easy enough. Now, what grade DDR ram would I need to have? A friend of mine says I'd only need PC 1600 at most for this, but assuming that I'm gonna shoot for 2.65GHz at 166x16, wouldnt I need some PC 2700 at least?
PC1600 only goes up to 100mhz FSB, so only buy this if you intend to keep the FSB stock. And I'm sure you are :P

PC2700 is good, PC3200 would be better since you can go up to 200mhz FSB.
Also, reccomend some coolers that will work on the PC-DL Asus Board? Quiet coolers. Ive got enough loud comps as it is.
Ima get me two of these monsters. Pricey at $40 each, but they are fanless and it wouldnt be hard at all to hook up a low-noise fan to blow across em. Here's a link to a guy with a PC-DL that he's done some work on. He has two of those heatsinks on it. Theres a lot of good info about that board here. http://www.datamine.tk/
Also, would I need to install win2k Pro or Server to take advantage of the Dualies and HT...friend says server since 2k is supposed to only support 2 CPU's.
I've been wondering about this myself.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

I think 2kPro + updates will work with HT. Not sure tho. It will work with dual chips tho.

I'll be using XP most likely, if not 2003 server.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Well, I'm not looking for monster coolers...I'm looking for something more along the lines of decent heatsink and quiet, standard issue CPU fan. I'll be getting a case with two 80mm fans right bewhind the CPU slots, so ventilation wont be a problem....so...other heat sinks?

And also, All I'm gonna try for is 166x16. I'm not gonna try for anything times 200 because the CPU would need to be able to run at 16x200 until the bios dumbs down the multiplier. I dont have my room cool enough, or the resources to keep these cool enough to run at 3.2GHz.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Well theres always the stock Intel heatsinks with the wind-tunnel design. You can find these on eBay for $10-15 each. Throw on a 60mm -> 80mm fan adapter and a medium-speed 80mm and you should be good to go.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Ehhhhh Ive looked at that solution, I'd like something a bit more traditional. Its not like this case is gonna be un-ventilated. Just a standard heatsink that will fit on the PC-DL.
Boo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Boo »

Ok, ive decided to chip in (if my parents let me)
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Sweet, welcome aboard! (if your parents let you)
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Excellent, tell your parents that it will make you feel good to contribute to the demise of diseases such as Alzheimers, Mad Cow, and various forms of cancer.
Boo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Boo »

Ok, parents would have let me but our damn 5-yr-old computer was having issues again... Getting a new comp soon, so I can try again then
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Even a 5 year old computer can fold. How about after you get the new one and get it folding you reinstall the OS on the 5 year old one and get it to fold also?
IsAB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by IsAB »

I'm in, an Athlon XP200 and a P3/650@860 are folding.
Stress's constant spaming left me no choice
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Welcome aboard IsAB :D