Music Downloads

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Music Downloads

Post by Deadmeat »

I want to download 40-50 songs legally, but don't want to pay $1 each for them. Never done this before and I've heard a lot of stuff about spyware, etc. from some sites. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

http://emusic.com

Excellent source for not-quite-mainstream music at great prices.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Buy.com Music Downloads has songs from $0.79 to $0.99, and they've got new "High Definition" (256kbps, as opposed to 128kbps--twice as much audio information) downloads. I've been very happy with the service. The songs are downloaded to your computer in the form of special protected Windows Media Audio files.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

'special protected windows media audio files'

I'll stay FAR away from that site. besides, 256k is crap.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Do any of these actually sell .mp3's? Because as much as I don't like Microsoft's music protection, I trust Apple's even less.
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

Emusic.com is strictly real, unencumbered, non-encrypted mp3.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Testi, the number of people on the DBB with psychic ability is surprisingly small.. :P would you please elaborate. How can twice the kbps be crap?

I would share your misgivings about the WMA protected format if I weren't able to record it to any other format I could need. As it is, I look on it as holding the high-quality information of the song I now own. If I need an mp3 version, I just do a little recording.
BAAL
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by BAAL »

Allofmp3.com has provent to be pretty good. 1 cent per MB download. You can even specify (in most cases) the bitrate. You can even preview the songs.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

256kbps is not near the quality of a cd, which is what they are trying to sell you for your dollar. 128 is even worse. thats barely better than radio quality. a cd is like, 1100kbps or some such number. 320 is the best you can get with mp3 isnt it? i can hear a huge difference in my car and in my sennheisers. the only way i dont hear it is with lesser equipment. but i'm an audiophile.

dont use music match either imo. i won a free download from a pop machine at work, and i used it. you dont have to play it with music match, but you do have to have it installed or it wont play in winamp and you cant burn it to another compilation (at least with nero you cant).

i would never give them a dollar for that crap. the only way i'll ever give them a dollar per song is if they give me a .wav with absolutely no quality drop that i can convert or not at my own preference. all these restrictions make the 99 cents not worth it.
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

Comparing Raw-CD and bitrate is apples and oranges:
FLAC will get that down to ~700kbps. 100% lossless. So now 320kbps is 50% of CD quality.

Audio compression (mostly what you get on Pop music these days) will save you ~30% of the space again with no perceptual loss (now down to 450kbps). Chop off 15% of the frequency response (so now you have 30-18,000 Hz response) and you have now managed to get little effective reduction in quality and are at 320kbps or near enough.
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=122789&cid=10322803
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Oh, wow, I didn't know it would be so much lower than CD quality. Dang. I guess when I think of the file size comparison between one of these WMA and a CD's WAV it makes sense. It still puts Buy.com ahead of iTunes, though, which only offers 128kbps.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

My mp3's are average 500k. To hear one of them, and then to hear the same song @ 128k is like listening through laptop speakers.

Also, once it's encoded, you can't re-encode it as anything else and have it be any better. It's not like a zip file where you can extract the data and recompress it.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

moo

they should do listen tests at higher bit rates tho.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Ok, I just figured out that the songs on my Bad Company soundtrack CD (songs that were in the movie Bad Company)--a commercial music CD--are 172kBps (I divided the songs' size in kiloBytes by their length in seconds. I got the size and time information from Sound Forge 5.0. Where do you guys get such high numbers?

I'm going to try this on another CD, also.

EDIT: Hmm.. maybe it's the difference between kB(ytes)ps and kb(its)ps that I'm stumbling over...

172kBps = 1376kbps

"A few more tests..." -Willy Wonka
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

I just tried it with the Gladiator soundtrack CD, and it comes out to the same bitrate (1378kbps, to be a little more exact).

Well, that answers it for me. Even the 256kbps songs are only 18.5% of CD quality. I can't believe they even use the term "audiophile" in their advertisments. :P

Then again, these songs sound really good.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

(It's kb as in bits)

Rip the songs VBR (Variable Bit Rate), or the highest vbr your software supports, and you'll get 300-500kb. For example, I have a Satriani song (right-click,Save As) on my site (Someone never heard him before) and it's 574kb.
Flat bitrate is garbage. And it makes the file larger. You're stuck with 192/whatever for every part of the song, from the soft sections to the slammin' ones. Which means your soft passages are wasted space, and your slammin' riffs are cut off at the waist. VBR expands the bitrate for loud parts, and does a little extra compression for soft stuff, more accurately representing the song.

I did all my mp3's with an oooold copy of RealJukebox. Why? 'cause it supported proper vbr, one interface, good record speed, and proper naming conventions. Nothing else I've tried was worth 2 bits.
I then used TagScanner to batch strip the Real bloat from the header, and rewrite the tag properly. Encoding it with Real adds about 70kb (in size) to a song. All proprietary crap. Tagscanner is adept at fixing this.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Well the reason that most audiophiles deem 256k "acceptable" is that most of the crap that gets cut out is inaudible to the human ear (I think the human audible range is from 20-20,000 Hz, but correct me if I'm wrong). I've noticed that the first things to get distorted in an MP3 are drum tracks, however.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Yep, bass turns to mud at low bitrates. And, a few frequencies get stripped, so you miss the ambience of the music. Sounds flat and tinny then.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Go Vorbis go.
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

I just started looking at allofmp3.com and you can download in whatever quality you like. You just pay per megabyte so the higher quality will cost more. They have flac and other lossless options as well.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

allofmp3.com can't be legal, though. There's no way that $0.01 per MB could even cover royalties.
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

I just started looking at allofmp3.com but I found the site because it was mentioned in a rcent issue of Popular Science. I figured if they have it in there next to the likes of Itunes then maybe they checked it out. They also state that it's so cheap because of the low rouble value or something like that.

edited for typos
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

allofmp3.com wrote:Is it legal to download music from site AllOFMP3.com?

All the materials in the MediaServices projects are available for distribution through Internet according to license # LS-3М-03-79 of the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society. Under the license terms, MediaServices pays license fees for all the materials subject to the Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights". All the materials are available solely for personal use and must not be used for further distribution, resale or broadcasting.

Users are responsible for any usage and distribution of all materials received from AllOFMP3.com. This responsibility depends on the local legislation of each user's country of residence. AllOFMP3.com's Administration does not keep up with the laws of different countries and is not responsible the actions of non-Russian users.