4 Boxes Out Of Service

This is the place for chat on DBB Distributed Computing projects... remember team #39070 for Stanfords Folding @ Home project.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

4 Boxes Out Of Service

Post by Iceman »

1 at work, office is being refurnished ...

3 at home, trying to convert from a switch and internet connection sharing to a router system without any luck so far getting connected.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

you might need to register the external MAC address of the router wiht your ISP, especially if you are on DSL, you could also just have the router fake the MAC addy of the machine that was doing the ICS.

other than that, setting DHCP on all machines should do it.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I got this thing for free from a friend who used it for DSL ... SO I am thinking that maybe he set it up for PPOE. I read in the manual that the hardware defaults to DHCP so I am going to pop that little reset switch tonight to see if that does the trick.

I called CommieCast last night and they told me that they could give me NO support for it and I would have to call the manufacturer if I wanted more help.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

which brand of router?
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Linksys BEFSR41 v1

That trick didn't work. I called Linksys and they told me to hook up without the router (directly to the cable modem) and goto www.linksys.com/check ... that the active X control at that site would automatically configure my system for me. So ... I did and it said that it was incompatible with my router.

Sigh ...
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Ice what kind of dls moden do you have??
brand/model EDIT: never mind..

first thing is to get rid of ICS :)
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Iceman wrote:Linksys BEFSR41 v1

That trick didn't work. I called Linksys and they told me to hook up without the router (directly to the cable modem) and goto www.linksys.com/check ... that the active X control at that site would automatically configure my system for me. So ... I did and it said that it was incompatible with my router.

Sigh ...
thats for wireless.

so you got into the web config for the router, right?(192.168.1.1)
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

No. Cannot touch the web config ... Tried everything.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

reset that sucker, whip out the old paperclip
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Been there, done that.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

the default password for the router should be admin.

no username. else hit your friend up for the password.

plug a machine(one that doesn't do the ICS) into the switch part of router, then go to 192.168.1.1, you should get a dialog asking for username/password, just enter the password(see above).

if that doesn't work... ie you don't get a dialog, then punch your friend for giving you a dud, then go out and buy a router of your own. get a 8-port router, I have a feeling you'll make good use of it.
BAAL
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by BAAL »

COuld it be set at 192.168.2.1 instead? i've seen this used as well.
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Migrating from Cable/DSL ICS to a Linksys Router

I would take one pc (not the ICS host) and hook it to the router first, that way if somethng goes wrong you still have internet access :) Then when you gain access to the router you can test it by plugging it into the modem.

The reset button on the router must be held till the red diag light comes on and stays red, about 3 seconds, to reset it to factory defaults.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

We just got DSL service here, and I had similar difficulties. First, I would suggest that you might want to check out this site if you haven't already:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/

It has a wealth of information on ISPs, modems, and other networking equipment. There is some info on your Linksys router on the site, although I don't know if it will be of assistance.

Second, find out if your modem has router capabilities. I was surprised to find out that my DSL modem IS a router, and without knowing this I tried to hook up another router with (predictably) no success. The modem can be turned into a bridge (i.e. no routing) by accessing the appropriate settings in the Web configuration. However, I ended up just leaving the modem alone and connecting a 4-port switch to the modem with DHCP on all the machines, and that was sufficient for everyone to see the Internet.

Third, with regard to your Linksys router, be aware that some routers require a link or valid connection on the WAN side of the router in order for you to be able to access the Web Setup address. You can use your modem (if it is up and running) or any computer with a working network connection in such cases. I can't imagine what the jackass engineer was thinking when he/she designed this, but it may or may not be relevant to your particular router.

Fourth, if you end up dealing with your modem configuration, be aware that some ISPs use stock hardware with custom firmware, so some things may not match any standard firmware configuration described on the manufacturer's site. I discovered that my ISP (BellSouth) uses a custom firmware with my Westell DSL modem.

Good Luck!
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

This router is FRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tossed it in the can and bought One of these and Three of these

Tonight is setup night.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Two XP boxes at home back up and folding ... The other one at home is Win2K and it isn't cooperating so well ... still working on it.

The box at work that is down should be back up on Monday.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

is the 2k one the former ICS machine?

How is the single strength with the G-units?

Did you punch your friend for giving you a dud yet?
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

*) The 2k box was an ICS client. I have isolated the problem ... it was a bad NIC port on my A7N8X-Dx mobo ... Have since replaced everything with wireless ...

*) single strength with the G-units? ... plz explain ...

*) LOL! I like him to much to do that ... n e how, he is a PC noob ...
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

signal strength.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I am not real sure at this point. The monitors show excellent strength yet I am having a great deal of problems playing multiplayer games. I get disconnected a lot and really weird stuff happens. Lots of weird D3 stuff like exploding w/out reason, tossing frags a long way from me but taking damage from them ... the usual D3 stuff that occurs with a bad connect. I need some time to see if it persists, it may just be a bad time for comcast in my neighborhood.
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

I will been down my main box till the new power supply gets here on monday or tuesday. The Fortron's 3.3 volt is dipping into the 2.5 range and locking up the computer. So stuck folding with the super slow laptop only.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Iceman wrote:I am not real sure at this point. The monitors show excellent strength yet I am having a great deal of problems playing multiplayer games. I get disconnected a lot and really weird stuff happens. Lots of weird D3 stuff like exploding w/out reason, tossing frags a long way from me but taking damage from them ... the usual D3 stuff that occurs with a bad connect. I need some time to see if it persists, it may just be a bad time for comcast in my neighborhood.
After careful consideration and experimentation I have concluded that WIRELESS SUCKS FOR GAMING!

All my problems went away when I connected my gaming rig to the router with a Cat 5.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Wireless isnt bad if properly configured and sufficiently interference free. I've been using Wireless-A for a while now with my laptop and I have to say that its worked absolutely flawlessly. I can transfer files quite easily, browse the web fine, and play games loss free.

Thats because the part of the spectrum used by Wireless-A, the 5GHz region, is relativly unpopulated. Its also got a crapload of nonoverlapping channels allocated to it by the FCC. By contast, the 2.4GHz region where wireless B and G reside is a big fat trainwreck of colliding signals and sideband interference. With only 3 nonoverlapping channels, G requires top power equipment and proper spacing between all devices. If youre living in a highly populated area, good luck getting G to work flawlessly without getting all your neighbors together and deciding on frequency use.

Oh, and to top it off, non-computer devices such as cordless phones are flooding the 2.4GHz range even further, so haha, enjoy your wireless trainwreck!. I'll take a good 5 port switch and some cheap 10/100 cards over wireless anyday. But for a single laptop, Wireless A rox.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I believe you are right. I tried an experiment the other day ...

I set up my kids' PC with wireless, booted it up, launched AIM and logged in, then went to work. At work I logged in to AIM with another screen name and saw my home machine online. During the day I saw the "'insert_screen_name_here' is offline" and "'insert_screen_name_here' is online" messages over and over and over ... indicating that my home box was loosing and re-establishing its connection fairly frequently.

I suppose that is ok, I am not worried about my kids loosing their browsing capability for 30 seconds. As long as I have the CAT-5 connection on my gaming PC I will be OK.