discussion: Rite of Passage

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

discussion: Rite of Passage

Post by roid »

asrale wrote:Not to hijack the topic or anything, but I agree, people in my age range are what I like to call "braindead morons." Self-serving, punk attitudes, little understanding of anything beyond their own small world.

You kinda wonder what the typical age is when most people actually become "adults"...I'm betting 25...

we really do need a propper good rite of passage ceremony in our culture. some kids ARE really stupid, and end up making stupid adults. we need flesheating ants to bite the stupidity outof them or something.

what are your ideas for aspects of a rite of passage ceremony?

/me vouches for flesheating ants for the ceremony.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

A rite of passage ceremony wouldn't make anybody any smarter. Just because age dictates that you're an adult does not make you any smarter.

There are some stupid people out there that have seen a lot and lived through a lot and die at very old ages. Welcome to humanity.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

not smarter
whuppinboy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by whuppinboy »

kick 'em out as soon as they turn 18 and let them fend for themselves :lol:

otherwise, buy 'em a hooker :P
Bess
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bess »

In Papua New Guinea, once a lad reaches the age of 16, he is sent out into the jungle for 6 months to survive on his own. He is not permitted any contact with another person and only has his spear and bow and arrows for defense and means of survival.
Upon completion of the 6 months and if he has survived, he is then given a feast in his honour and welcomed back into the tribe as an adult, with full adult status in tribal council and can marry.
Should he survive and still be a complete idiot, he is chased from the tribe with arrows hopefully hitting him as his disgrace is overwhelming and no other tribe will have anything to do with him.
Sounds like a good idea to me :)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

how about "once you hold a job that pays better than minimum wage for more than 6 months, pay your own rent, and manage not to do anything monumentally stupid during that whole time period, you're an adult."
IsAB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by IsAB »

Yea talking about stupid people makes me feel smart too.