need help for joining rooms

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
yfmain
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

need help for joining rooms

Post by yfmain »

this might be a stupid question, but i could not find a clue after a full afternoon trying.
I import a room into a new level, then i built another, how could i import the second on into the current level? what i know is copy in this room in the "world view" window, then use "place in mine" to paste it into my original level. these are quite a few steps work really, and it is not working all the time. sometimes, i couldnot attach a new room on a required face with correct orientation. it is very annoying me. is there any trick for this to correct the orientation?

Could anyone tell me how to import a new room into level at a required position? and how to attach rooms on a face with correct orientation?

thanks a lot.

-yfmain
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Oookk.

Mark all the faces of the room that you are wanting to import. Then select the face you want joined to the mine's room. Having a face current is crutial.

choose the face of the room in the mine that you want to attach it to. (be sure that coorisponding vertices are "current".

goto: "room" menu on tool bar; then down to "Place room at Current room." Before doing this, know that you must have "looked at" the room to be placed then the room in Universal View.

A pink outline will appear. (Use wireframe mode).

If the rooms have faces that are the same that are being attached, use the "SNAP" option. this will line the faces up properly... most the time.
If not, there is a couple of things you can do depending on the senario. see if this helps thus far, if you come up with an irregular joining, we'll tackle that.

Check this tutorial:Robo's Site
yfmain
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by yfmain »

Thanks, Duper

this makes more sense than what i have been doing, i can import a room much easier now.

but the orientation is still a problem, it alway tends to attach at YZ plane while my original room is in XZ. i tried this "snap", it makes the attach more proper, but doesnot change the orientation.

is there anything related with "current vertex" or "current edge"? i tried to change the new room's current vertex by pressing "v" before i place it, but it seemed not working.

i wonder if there is anything wrong with this first vertex of the target face, could i change their order be someway?

Cheers,

-yfmain
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Make sure that the faces that you want joined ar current.

Also, yes, try to make the current Edges and Verts coincide. This isn't always necessary, but if you're running into a problem with getting a rooms edges to match them maybe.

If you need to, if its an irregular shape you might attack it, blow away the portal, back the new room up a bit then use the "Build a smooth Bridge" option. If you use the "join rooms, or bridge options", be sure that the current verts are coinciding or the new room joining them will look like something of a Picaso.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

You don't have to mark all the faces of the room you are attaching. Just make the face you want to attach in both the room and the level current.

Also, you can use the "v" key to select induvidual verts on the faces. If you select which verts you want to connect on both the level face and the room face before you place the room, you can use the "snap placed room" function, which will connect the two vertices. This is useful if you want a room that doesn't have exactly the same face to connect in, say, a corner.
yfmain
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by yfmain »

got it, thank you guys.

I made a mistake, the face in new room is slight different than the face i want to attach to. After i corrected this, all the methods you guys told me are working perfectly.

Now i got another stupid question, :P
I made a mistake that my level is on the orientation of vertical instead horization, this makes the player can not face the right oriengation in the game properly.

Do you know how to turn my level back to the normal orientation? i tried turn the by pressing '3' key, but it only works with one room, and the others are disconnected after that. Do know how to turn all the rooms together.

Thanks for all the helps again,

-yfmain
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

hrm ..

I would recommend turning the player object if that will fix the problem. ?
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

yfmain wrote:i tried turn the by pressing '3' key, but it only works with one room, and the others are disconnected after that.
There's nothing wrong with that. Go ahead and rotate all of the rooms. So long as you have the portals line up, D3Edit won't complain.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

bout' time you showed up ;)
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

It's probably easier to just go back and rotate the rooms regularly, then reattach them. Of course, if your level is too large, this may not be a viable option. Also, I have noticed that sometimes, seemingly at random, I'll have to hold the shift key to rotate or move things. Just a heads up.
yfmain
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by yfmain »

the way of pressing '3' works very well. what i need is only apply it to every room with same times of '3' key pressing.

i tried to change the facing direction of the player object too, but I cannot change them. what i did was place it at the center of the current coordinate, then press '3' to turn it.

My level is at horization now, thanks.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

To change player direction or just any object, go to object mode {ctrl-G}. Select the object of interest in Current room view. Use your number pad like you do for rooms to change its position and direction.

Be careful not to move the object outside the walls. I recomend changing your room units to 1 unless you need to move an object across a great distance.
yfmain
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by yfmain »

Duper wrote:To change player direction or just any object, go to object mode {ctrl-G}. Select the object of interest in Current room view. Use your number pad like you do for rooms to change its position and direction.
i tried this too, but i could not see any changes in directions, the green arrows of player object didnot move at all.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

try using keys 7 and 9. And Top view.

Works ok for me. What version of D3 Editor are you using?
yfmain
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by yfmain »

I never thought the '7' and '9' working too, that is great.