mp3 players...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

xceptional1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

mp3 players...

Post by xceptional1 »

so one of my room mates got a Dell dj (the 15gb) for like 129$ about a month ago. I've looked at his and man, I have to finally get an mp3 player... unfortunately the coupon he used is expired and I can't find one for that price anywhere else... Any of you guys have any other suggestions on mp3 players? Which kind do you guys have? I'm a poor college student thats really looking for a decent player for cheap... Any advice?

thanks,

-wake
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I have a creative Nomad MoVo NX 256 MB, decent for a ultra portable, but the Zen 60 GB taunts me every time I see one for sale online.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

The real questions is: do you want to buy music from iTunes Music Store?

If the answer is yes, then you are stuck with an ipod of some sort, with its "tie you to one computer and delete all the tracks from your ipod if you try to set it up on another computer" software mentality.

otherwise, I'd nab something from iRiver.
I got an IHP-120 and it so kicks ass.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

its "tie you to one computer and delete all the tracks from your ipod if you try to set it up on another computer" software mentality.
Actually, I was stuck with that for a while, but you can turn it off. Annoyed the hell out of me.

You can get flash mp3 players for cheap. So it depends on what you want to do. Do you want to store tons of songs, organized, etc? Or do you want something like a CD player, just putting the songs you want on there at the time?
For easy to use interface and speed of data transfer, the iPod is superior, but even though they dropped the prices $100 it's still a bit pricey. I can't speak for other mp3 hard drive players, I've used them but I don't own any.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

The only thing Apple's been good at the last couple of years is marketting.

It would've more like Apple to simply have users plug the ipod in, and drag music onto the device. But IIRC, you need to use iTunes to get playable music onto the device.

But then again, the entire point of the iPod is get more customers for ITMS.

and unless recent generations of iPods have support for firewire 800, the speed difference between USB2 and Firewire 400 is unnoticeable.
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

I like the look of them 256/512mb mini-mp3 players. The only problem is they require batteries, I'd prefer one that supports a rechargable battery type, or has a rechargable cell. Are there any models that support that?
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I wound up buying a Sony CD/MP3 player - the kind that can read MP3s burned onto a CD. Hence, on typical MP3 settings of 128kbps, it holds about 120 songs on a single disk. And I wind up burning them anyway, so why not use that burned disk to play music instead of having to move/remove tunes from a tiny internal hard drive when I want to change music? There are probably better solutions, but I also have a hundred blank CD-Rs I need to get through. :oops: