58,000 florida votes go,,,,,, *poof*

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

58,000 florida votes go,,,,,, *poof*

Post by Mobius »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3960679.stm

ONLY 58,000??? o_O

Someone is slipping - and BADLY!

Come on Jeb - you can do better than THAT! ;)
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

I think it's time we go back to cardboard boxes and handwritten ballots. If a person can't write the name of the candidate they want to vote for, they shouldn't be voting.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Your title is wrong, it's Florida absentee ballots, not votes.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

"Authorities are investigating the apparent loss of 58,000 absentee forms in Broward County"

Hmmm...didn't Broward County have similar problems last go around. Isn't Broward County democratically controlled? :roll:
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

C'mon Woody, everybody knows its a Republican conspiracy :D
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

And so the debacle begins...:P
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

Solution to problem. CA exports an earthquake, thereby giving AL and GA more waterfront property. :D
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

From the cautious wording of the BBC article, I'd say they were blank forms. The BBC just doesn't want to say that straight out. The first clue is the construction of the first two paragraphs:
The BBC wrote: Authorities are investigating the apparent loss of 58,000 absentee forms in Broward County while officials have said replacements are being sent out.

Controversy over the vote in Florida in 2000 delayed the national result.
There is nothing linking the two sentences other than the state of Florida. If they were 58,000 filled-out ballots, then it would be worded differently.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Both parties have really lowered the bar this time when it comes pre-emptive dirty tricks regarding registration and absentee ballots.
Trying to find a guilty party reminds me of when my kids are fighting and I know asking "who started it?" is a flawed question.

I've resigned myself to catagorize all I've seen so far as the fault of both parties because they are *all* responsible for the sytem we have and have failed to do something that I find relatively simple to do which is create a simple 'one man, one vote' arrangement.

Example: Try to cash your paycheck twice and get away with it.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Word Will ...
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

whats funny is how america is pushing for democracy in the middle east when we cant even have a fair election.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Vlider wrote:whats funny is how america is pushing for democracy in the middle east when we cant even have a fair election.
We do have "fair" elections , not in a pure sense but in a realistic sense because "fair" is playing by the rules. The rules allow for this messy process that needs to be cleaned up and improved but compared to most places in the middle east we do have something special and fair..including our election process.

As to the 'pushing for democracy' thing: We shouldn't suggest a surgeon stop stitching up a wound just because his style of sewing leaves a little more scar tissue than he could if he was more careful.