Star Wars Trilogy

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Star Wars Trilogy

Post by ccb056 »

Is it possible to buy the ORIGINAL, non edited, non special edition cr@p, Star Wars Trilogy for DVD? DVD Region is of no consequence.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Are you asking from one of us or in general? Try Amazon, I'm sure they'd have it.

Then again, I don't know if it was ever made. They've just come out with Star Wars for DVD, and I think it's all remastered anyway.

You could buy the VHS and make a DVD if you so wanted to :)
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Not on DVD no. VHS yes.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

You'd need to kill Lucas for that.

Its like asking Kubrik to make 2001 less odd.
Samuel Dravis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Samuel Dravis »

No. Unedited first editions are only on VHS. There's some Laserdisc copies of the 97 special editions floating around, if you are ok with those.
Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Asrale »

George Lucas is full of crap:

The purists can have their unedited movies, but not in widescreen DVD with new digital remastering.

The anti-purists have their widescreen DVDs with new mastering and some special features, but with bonehead edits & tweaks by an ingrated fool whose mantra is "don't worry, we'll CGI it!"
Samuel Dravis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Samuel Dravis »

It irritates me as well. I particularly dislike Hayden being anywhere near the OT.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

I have all three originals on laserdisk :D
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I've got the originals on VHS, and as soon as I pick up a combo VCR/DVD recorder, they're getting transferred. Sure, the quality isn't great, and it's not widescreen, but at least it's the original. Actually, come to think of it, the tapes are in pretty good shape, and I really don't mind any lack of quality that's inherent to VHS; comes with being raised on it, I guess. :P As for the new release, I could stand just about every change EXCEPT for the edit of the scene with Gayden; that just turns my stomach.
Sligar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sligar »

I downloaded the laser version of a new hope from suprnova.org, quality is meh, but it is the original...
Ympakt
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ympakt »

I've watched my VHS Star Wars Trilogy so much that it's starting to get a little fuzzy. We recently bought the new DVD set, and, IMHO, it BLOWS. All these lame @$$ SFX fixes. The original, in all it's low-buck cheesyness, was by far the better movie. Half the fun of watching the orginal was seeing all the bloopers and scale models blowing up.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Sligar wrote:I downloaded the laser version of a new hope from suprnova.org, quality is meh, but it is the original...
I just hope for your sake that you own a copy of it legitimally...

Ympakt: Yeah, I especially loved the part in ANH where that stormtrooper bangs his head on the door. :D (Which Lucas paid homage to in EP2 when Jango Fett bangs his head on the Slave I hatch trying to get away from Obi-Wan. :mrgreen: )

And dammit! Han shot first!
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

The only new cgi that aggrevated me was that stupid scene on Tatooine where Han and Jabba are chatting in the hangar and Han steps on jabba.. I just want to smack Lucas good for that POS scene...
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

defender, an explanation of that scene (if you didn't know already):

that scene was ALWAYS supposed to be in the movie, but originally, jabba was supposed to be a human. as the movie neared end-production, lucas decided he wanted jabba to be an alien, and had to cut the scene out.

However, he still wanted that scene in the movie. Thus, when the new ones came out, he replaced the human with the hutt. One little problem - originally, Han Solo circled around the human as he was talking to him. Well, the only solution was for Han to be stepping on his tail...
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Vertigo 99 wrote: Well, the only solution was for Han to be stepping on his tail...
I believe they actually lifted Han up and down to make it look like he stepped up onto, and then down from Jabba's tail...
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

The 3 original eps of starwars were VHS and Laserdisc.

I have them on DVD ripped from Laserdisc, and while the quality isn't as good as the new digital versions on the shelves, it's nice to have the "real" movies I can play on the dvd player
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

You want to talk about owning original copies to the Star Wars Trilogy. Try finding a betamax machine that still works. Of course these damn things are so old the picture must look like crap.
Buef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Buef »

BlueFlames
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BlueFlames »

Thats right folks 8 fully realized deleted/alternate scenes including, the original cantina scene where you get to meet Han Solo's girlfriend...
*Sniff* *Sniff*

Smells like bull★■◆●.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

Agreed BlueFlames, I'm smelling some stinky-ass bull★■◆● as well...
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Vertigo 99 wrote:defender, an explanation of that scene (if you didn't know already):

that scene was ALWAYS supposed to be in the movie, but originally, jabba was supposed to be a human. as the movie neared end-production, lucas decided he wanted jabba to be an alien, and had to cut the scene out.

However, he still wanted that scene in the movie. Thus, when the new ones came out, he replaced the human with the hutt. One little problem - originally, Han Solo circled around the human as he was talking to him. Well, the only solution was for Han to be stepping on his tail...
Yes, I'm well aware of the pupose of that scene, but it is so STUPID. :)
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Finally, someone got that pic up. :P
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Download the origional from the internet.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I want someone to shoot the band in Jabba's Palace. The original was cheesy, then they added more cheese....

Why add more cheese when we said, enough with the cheese??!!
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

lol mob
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

cus mayby George Lucas is an idiot? :)
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Tyranny wrote:Not on DVD no. VHS yes.
I have the VHS version.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

What is the difference between this one and this one?
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

It's the same box just two differnet sides.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I have a question about the Star Wars DVD Boxed Set: at the end of ROTJ, where Luke sees Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin, did they at least make Gayden look like he was older than what he is now?

I friggin hate that guy. Hes a super sissy. I cant wait to see Obi-wan own his @$$ in Ep3 so we never have to see him again.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Avder wrote:I have a question about the Star Wars DVD Boxed Set: at the end of ROTJ, where Luke sees Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin, did they at least make Gayden look like he was older than what he is now?
This answer your question? ;)

I friggin hate that guy. Hes a super sissy. I cant wait to see Obi-wan own his @$$ in Ep3 so we never have to see him again.
Umm...you hate the guy because he played the part peftectly? Thats kinda dumb.... By that logic, Mark Hammil must be a "super sissy" because he acted like a damn crybaby in "A New Hope". The whole point is that Luke inherited his father's short fuse. If you pay attention to Episode 2, you'll notice that he was pretty hot tempered and was less than tactful with Obi-Wan. He let his emotions get the better of him repeatedly throughout the movie, particularly when he slaughters an entire camp of tusken raiders because of what they did to his mother.

When you take the above into consideration, I'd say he played the part rather well.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

who in a galaxy far far away is Gayden?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Played the part well? Unless Anakin was supposed to be uber-constipated at every waking moment, I wouldn't call that good acting. :P Mark Hamill was ten times the actor that Gayden is, even considering their respective parts. At least he made you believe that he was actually a n00b farmboy; I can't figure out what Anakin was supposed to be from that performance.

Roid, they're talking about Hayden Christiansen, who did the hackneyed job of playing Anakin in Episode II.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Gayden was wrong for the part. The SW series has been bastardized thanks to Lucas and Ep. 3 is going to be a disaster (as much as id like to see it anyway. Silly hypocrite me. :P )
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Top Gun wrote:Played the part well? Unless Anakin was supposed to be uber-constipated at every waking moment, I wouldn't call that good acting. :P *snip* I can't figure out what Anakin was supposed to be from that performance.
Umm...you do realize that Anakin being a whiney brat was intentional, right? :roll: What, you going to complain about R2 being able to fly next? (And before you do, I'll have you know that the thrusters were in his original blueprints, its just that they couldn't make him fly without it looking rather silly.)