Radeon fixes, anyone know a good driver?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Frosty5F11
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Radeon fixes, anyone know a good driver?

Post by Frosty5F11 »

I have a Radeon 9800 pro, and it has that gamma resetting problem in d3, anyone know how to fix that?
maybe some special drivers?
I heared they are totally redoing their opengl drivers, hopefully that will fix it. but until then...
I had gotten a link to a fix you could do in the sys registry, but that don't work.
thanks
Teddy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Teddy »

I heared they are totally redoing their opengl drivers.
I wouldn't hold my breath on this one....this was said when i first bought my 97009lets see, how long has the 9700 been out???), i waited over a year and finally sold it about 6 or 7 months ago when each driver for it seemed to only get worse.

Back when i had my 9700 the only fix i knew about was the regestry tweak...which didnt work for me eather.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Go to the "Color" tab in the advanced settings. Click on the "Full Screen 3D" option then nudge the gamma up a little bit. Once I did this, the problem went away for me.
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

You're exactly right Iceman, but I've found with the latest OMEGA drivers that problem has gone away.
Frosty5F11
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Frosty5F11 »

Deadmeat wrote:You're exactly right Iceman, but I've found with the latest OMEGA drivers that problem has gone away.
I just found drivers called DNA drivers for the radeon series and you can choose different drivers for opengl, optimized for different games, I chose halflife since it was the closest one to the age of Descent 3. cleared the problem but there was a problem with the main menu not showing up right after you start a game, and also 1600x1200 won't work!
I'll try some different configurations I guess.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

the older games opengl settings worked when i tried them. i dont play d3 enough to warrant using that particular opengl driver though. i just run d3 in direct3d when i wanna play it. if you have a 9800 pro you can easily pull that off too without getting the "d3 sucks in direct3d" thing.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I dunno...I have the 9700 and with the current catylist drivers with the winxp pro os, I haven't run into any problems playing.
Max_T
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Max_T »

new beta 4.12s r the best drivers yet...i suggest you try those out, or wait until omega releases his version of 4.12s beta.

and Teddy, enough already, jeez...
Frosty5F11
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Frosty5F11 »

kurupt wrote:if you have a 9800 pro you can easily pull that off too without getting the "d3 sucks in direct3d" thing.
hmmmmm, I have the problem with direct 3d sucking in d3, it runs fine til you shoot, I'm guessing it's a sound glitch.
I'll try the beta 4.12's then try omega.
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

I have a Radeon 9600 and I have this gamma issue to. However for me it's a simple fix, but it has to be done with each game :-(

When the game starts hit F2 to bring up the menu, and goto your gamma options, and bump it up a click hit apply, then bump it back down, and hit apply again. Should clear it up for the current session. Next game though....has to be done again.
Frosty5F11
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Frosty5F11 »

well yeah, but that's irritating and sometimes it would just go back to dark for no reason.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i have a 9800 pro and i push 1000 fps in d3 in opengl. in d3d its not quite as high, but its well beyond playable. its 500+ which should do you just fine. no glitches either, which is the nice thing :D
Frosty5F11
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Frosty5F11 »

what are your specs, what drivers you using?