Released: New Descent 3 Patch

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

SneAKy pEepEE wrote:
three things.....
1.)confirm no mistype on "1.5 patch"(are you sure you dont mean 1.4?)
2.)what is a "new-born"
3.)if 1.5 patch avail., where?
:)
1. WTF have you been? Yes, I said 1.5.
2. You know, as in a child.
3. It hasn't come out yet due to reasons posted above.

I had totally forgotten that he had had a kid. That will take up a lot of time of course. I still feel that if the patch was ready to launch as he said it was it would have been a much better move to please the majority instead of the minority.
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

SneAKy pEepEE wrote: 3.)if 1.5 patch avail., where?
It's not available, but it's been in the works for a few years. Outrage (the company) just doesn't exist anymore, and even though the 1.5 patch was pretty much finished for Windows, the game is available for other platforms (ported by other companies), and the patches for all other platforms (as far as I know, namely Mac) couldn't be finished.

Different versions (1.4 and 1.5) on different platforms wouldn't be compatible, so I suppose the 1.5 patch hasn't seen its release because the authors didn't want to break compatibility.

Last Spring or so, Kevin Bentley, a former Outrage employee, got permission from the source code copyright owner to write and release patches for the game, and he began work on finishing the 1.5 patch for the other platforms and getting it to work on today's systems. However, he has a family to feed and if you do software development as your daily job, writing patches for an old game with no payment may not be your favourite hobby if the family's just got a baby, too...

Refer to the "For the D3 dev team" forum if you want more details.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Delkian wrote:
SneAKy pEepEE wrote: 3.)if 1.5 patch avail., where?
Different versions (1.4 and 1.5) on different platforms wouldn't be compatible, so I suppose the 1.5 patch hasn't seen its release because the authors didn't want to break compatibility.
The whole point of 1.5 is to increase cross-platform compatibility so it would be absurd to release it on only one platform.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Kevin doesn't typically respond to emails (I think maybe his spam filter catches all the ones I send) and he has ICQ set to only accept messages from people already on his contact list.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Just curious, if I try to join a 1.5 server with my 1.4 Linux Descent 3 will I get a versions do not match error or will Descent just "die"?

I tried to join a stadium game last night and D3 would crash (the good ole' Sig 11) as soon at I clicked on join. If this patch causes this kind of crash on me without any warning then I do not think releasing it was a good idea at all!

The servers NEED to indicate in their names whether they are 1.5 servers so I don't bother trying to join them.

Stadium games usually always work for me in Linux.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Xamindar wrote:Just curious, if I try to join a 1.5 server with my 1.4 Linux Descent 3 will I get a versions do not match error or will Descent just "die"?

I tried to join a stadium game last night and D3 would crash (the good ole' Sig 11) as soon at I clicked on join. If this patch causes this kind of crash on me without any warning then I do not think releasing it was a good idea at all!

The servers NEED to indicate in their names whether they are 1.5 servers so I don't bother trying to join them.

Stadium games usually always work for me in Linux.
Currently all 1.5 servers are named so. IE "1.5 Patch xxxx"
iten
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by iten »

Also, d3.descent.cx doesn't show 1.5 servers (as I recall).
Zer0Cool
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zer0Cool »

why don't they show them?
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

ok, so it was nothing to do with the patch. Thanks guys. :)
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Along with stress's post I am going to desticky this thread and instead sticky Pugs thread, which has a link here.