Proud New Dad...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Proud New Dad...

Post by Zuruck »

Not of a kid...but of a 1976 Gibson Korina Wood Explorer...pictures to come when I'm doing putting some stuff on it. Dropping a Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge and a Seth Lover in the neck. Had to give up my MusicMan for it but this thing rocks....pics to come.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Ohh, it's an electric guitar. (GUGEL IMIGE SERCH)
Yea, I think I'm going to get me one o' thems for the Big C, the Christmas.

I been had my eyes one this model right here:
Ibanez RG321

But yeas, I can't wait to see them pics. And some sound files. I wanto hear u play it.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

What Sage said.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

i love the tone on gibsons but i like to sit while i write parts... not fun with an explorer. :P

but yea! let's see them pics.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Sweet, Z, I wanna see.

Sage, good choice. 24 frets are awesome, I won't play on a 22 fretter. The RG is a metal guitar, btw, it excels for heavy stuff.

One note. DO NOT BUY IT ONLINE. That's the fast track to dissapointment. You have no way of knowing how it plays, how it feels, or any of the small inconsistencies it may hold that will make the purchase a waste of money. Go to teh guitar store. Go to several. Play every Ibanez they have. Check the fretboard and make sure none of them buzz, check the distance of the strings from the fretboard, check the neck, etc etc. If this is your first guitar, take someone who knows. The salesperson wants a sale, he doesn't care if it's the right guitar for you if you don't know the difference.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re: Proud New Dad...

Post by Tyranny »

Zuruck wrote:Not of a kid...
Good, you don't need to be having children on us now :P It wouldn't be good for them or us. ;)
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Testiculese wrote:One note. DO NOT BUY IT ONLINE. That's the fast track to dissapointment. You have no way of knowing how it plays, how it feels, or any of the small inconsistencies it may hold that will make the purchase a waste of money. Go to teh guitar store. Go to several. Play every Ibanez they have. Check the fretboard and make sure none of them buzz, check the distance of the strings from the fretboard, check the neck, etc etc. If this is your first guitar, take someone who knows. The salesperson wants a sale, he doesn't care if it's the right guitar for you if you don't know the difference.
Good suggestions. This is my first guitar. I don't really know anyone anyone who is experienced with guitars though. But yea, good suggestion on not buying it from the internets. I'll have to do that.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

lets hear it zurick :)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Definitely take care in getting one, it's gonna be yours for a few years, or a few dozen. Also I'd hate to see someone drop the habit early in exasperation simply because of a mismatched guitar.

Oh, I heard Z got a new guitar?
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

Sage wrote:This is my first guitar.
aight.
are you sure you want an electric? do you want to write songs or play riffs? because if you want to write songs an acoustic will do you more good in the long run.

if you want to approach it from a rock guitarist instrumentalist angle then an electric will be cool. testies suggestions are good. but buzzing frets can be easily fixed with a good set up by a luthier.

i'm not trying to be a prick... but a $300 guitar is gonna kinda suck (unless you come across the miracle assembly line rig, it happens).

so, do a lot of research. unless you are a rich kid... then i would suggest you buy a $2,000 paul reed smith... play it for 6 months... move on to girls... and sell it to me for $700.
:P
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

whereas i may have given guitar up if i started on an acoustic. i'm glad i didn't.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Yea, electric is definitely the way to go for me. I feel it in my bones. The hard part, is of course, going to be getting a good one. I have NONE experience it what guitars are good, and that sort of stuff.

I guess I'll just have to put my faith in dear ole Santy Claus. :D

I have to get an amp too, right? My bro and I rented a electric guitar & bass from a local shop once. Fun stuff. :)

Thanks for the input, I'll try to make sure I get a good one.

.. But anyways, on with your guitar Zuruck! :D
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

depends if you want to play gigs. if you are just learning a POD by line 6 is alright. my pal loaned me his and it's sitting on my desk going through my computers speakers as i type. sounds a little fake but it is very convenient.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I have to disagree, and say the amp makes the player. Crappy amp? Crappy play. I had a Fender 15 years ago as my first amp, and I never could seem to progress past a certain point. It was frustrating sounding like something out of the 40's. Then I got a Peavy 60, and that mysterious obstacle disappeared (for a bit). I made major leaps in playing ability. I slumped again until I got my current amp, a Peavy Bandit 112 (Transtube). This one sounds exactly like the And Justice For All album.

Of course, this is from a metal playing perspective. Some dirty crappy amps are just perfect for some players. Definitely not me. No reverb leaves a flat, halting staccato. The notes do not flow into each other. I want reverb and presence for the smoothness. The larger amps also have better sustain.
Go to the guitar store (Sage) and hang around and listen to people who can play, play on different amps. Ask'em to play some song on the amp so you can hear what the amp is capable of. I was in a store once, and someone who was barely holding the guitar properly was badmouthing an amp cause it sounded bad to him. So I plugged into it and played a few songs. I think he hugged it afterwards. (I didn't let him hug me ;))

A 100-watt, 12" speaker amp is not terribly expensive ($300-400). Peavy and Marshall are crushers. Fenders seemed flat. (But these have chorus built-in, which is nice, and somewhat makes up for the flattish sound)
If you can't get one right away, (or better yet, not get one until you KNOW you are hooked on guitar), then a small one to hold you off is ok. It's not like you are going to be making anything sound good for a while anyway :) But do aim for a quality amp as soon as practical.

Adding my bias, I'd go for the RG1527CB over the RG321. Unless you like the fixed bridge (And lower price). The RG350DX is also (imo) a better choice of Ibanez than the RG321, and is about $350. I have an RG450DX (mostly the same thing), and it plays fast and plays hard.

Acoustics are only for certain people. I've had acoustics for years, and I just canNOT get into it very often. Last time I played acoustic with a sense of purpose was October 7th, at noon in the park, no shirt sitting on a park bench. That was a good time. But one of few on an acoustic just because it doesn't interest me. But I'll always have one so wherever I go, I'll have a guitar. Besides, a little warming up, and I can play Master of Puppets on it. :oops:

Oh yea, something not yet asked: What kind of music do you intend on playing? And why are we still posting in Z's thread? Where is he, anyway, I think he got bored and left.
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

ihmo, no matter what you wanna play, i think it's best to start on an acoustic; it'll make you a better player for anything. YOu really have to work on getting the sound on the acoustic; there is nothign artificial about the sound. where as all your slipups can buried alive in the distortion of your electric.

also, another good point to raise that is, if you're looking for a cheap sintrument to start with, incase you give up, it would be better to get an expensive piece; you lose around 3/4 of your resale of a cheap sintrument; i.e. no one wants to buy it for even $10 cheaper than what you paid.

just my opinion... 8)
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Nice geetar, Z. I had a beautiful Explorer back in the day. White pearl/gold hardware/dirty fingers/ebony fretboard. Sounded and played wonderfully. Ultimately, however, I just couldn't get beyond the *guitar slinger* look and kept smacking the massive sharkfin against elbow/wall/doorway/cymbals/small children's heads. Also, like Meatnik, I do my best work laying down, er, sitting and it's just not very well shaped/balanced for that sort of playing (unless you attach the little faux knee-rest thing). Anyway, congrats on the new baby. Be sure to get a proper fitting stand for it. For those about to rock...

/me salutes
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

i didn't forget about you guys..i was working on it most of the weekend...it took forever to sand the headstock down...that ★■◆●ing paint took forever by hand...i'll have some pics of it as soon as im done. this is this going to be an animal when i'm done with it...

as for the other discussions that are going on...i'd have to say that I agree with Testi. Now while a guitar does make a difference in your playing, the sound that you hear is what drives you. I started out playing with a little crap 12 inch speaker and it was horrible. I think the speaker was wrapped in paper but now I have a 150 watt head powering two 4x12 cabs, and I love it. Clean or distorted, the sounds that come out of it please me.

Sage, if you feel like electric. Get it...acoustics are very fun for writing songs and pleasing the ladies, but if you want to be loud (but don't play crap) get an electric. Testi likes Ibanez guitars, I won't buy anything that is made in Japan or Taiwan or whatever. What do you want to spend is the question? But yes, NEVER BUY IT ONLINE! Every guitar sounds differently, all pickups are wound differently, wood densities, it all matters in the sound. Don't buy online, even if it's a good deal, play everything you are going to buy and make sure it's what you want. My friend bought a Gibson Chet Atkins acoustic/electric on EBaY for 1200 bucks and it came and the neck was so bowed that you could have used it for jai alai. it took me two months to fix it and then he sold it to guitar center. oh well,
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Nice purchase Z. I've been saving for an upgrade myself - here's what I'm looking at getting in a few months.

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.p ... mber=DC747
http://www.marshallamps.com/images/prod ... 0unit.html
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/ ... tSL-Lg.htm

The Carvin is ordered direct from the company, but it's how they're sold, and I've heard nothing but good experiences from customers.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

yea, your right... i should get a half stack for my apartment. :roll:
R e v
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by R e v »

My wife hates my half stack, but somehow she tollerates it. She likes all that 80s new wave crap and modern dance music... I'm a metal head. Thus, we get along great. She even went to see Godsmack and Metallica with me this past weekend. :)

Congrats on the new member of the family, Zuruck.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

i feel so warm and fuzzy.

rev, i have that cab, check your impedence though, marshall's wired at 16 ohms, mesa at 8...unless you rewire your cab you really should stick with marshall cabs. if that is the same mesa cab i have, make sure you get the 280 watt version and not the 360?. The 280 has the Celestion Vintage 30s and the higher wattage uses some Custom 90s...I really don't care for them, they break up nice and are loud but they have a real flubby low end.

i have a peavey 5150 cab and a mesa cab and i use a thd hot plate that splits the impedence and allows me to use the mismatched cabs. it's awesome, searing highs on the 5150 cab and the open vowel sound of the mesa cab. Sort of like George Lynch meets Randy Rhoads...
R e v
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by R e v »

I take a look at Marshalls from time to time, but damn... they just cost too much. :)
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

I've been playing for like a year now. Acoustic is definitley the way to go; builds callouses, and unless you have a good amp, you're gonna sound like shiz at first on an electric.
R e v
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by R e v »

Beowulf wrote:I've been playing for like a year now. Acoustic is definitley the way to go; builds callouses, and unless you have a good amp, you're gonna sound like shiz at first on an electric.
hmmmm... after nearly 15 years of play you may have convinced me to completely change my style with your comments. :)

Acoustic definitely has its moments, but I would not go as far as to say it's the way to go. :)
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Yeah, I mean, can you imagine an album, "AC/DC Unplugged"? ;)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

wouldn't be too bad, it'd be like an irish ho-down.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

I learned guitar about six months ago on an acoustic, and bought an electric last month. I gotta say, I'm glad I learned on an acoustic. If I had started out with an electric I dunno if I would have ever enjoyed playing acoustic. But whatever works, when you're starting out, a guitar's a guitar. Get the basics down first.

I have a crappy amp, if I wanted to record would it be better for me to just hook my guitar directly into my computer (if I had an amp in my computer, if not I also have the one for my home theater system that I've hooked into before), or should I run it through my amp guitar->amp line in -> amp line out -> computer. Basically I'm wondering: when it sounds crappy, is it the amp's fault in general, or just the amp's speaker's fault? If I bypass the speaker, is it still gonna sound crappy?
R e v
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by R e v »

You guys are recommending how to start out. I started out by listening to Metallica and being inspired to want to play. I mean, how can you not listen to Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, and Master of Puppets and not want to play. :)

Regardless, after dicking around with the guitar for a few months I decided to take it seriously and forced myself to take classical guitar lessons. Classical guitar does not only teach you technique and strength, but also musical structure and knowledge. I suggest if you guys are serious about really getting a firm grasp on your guitar playing, whatever your preferred style, take some classical lessons. :)

I am even considering going back and taking some more classical lessons as I have been freestyling it for so long -- you end up forming bad habits, at least, I do. It was easier to take lessons when younger and you have more time. I have no idea how I am going to find the time now.... heh oh well..
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

it's funny i never had any desire to learn metallica tunes. you guys in this thread are very metal-centric. i started by learning beatles and hendrix tunes... then prince tunes... music theory... piano.

there's a lot of music out there... it's not all ripping you head off with an amp that is quite disproportionate to it's utility. half stacks are a biziatch to lug around, i did a bunch of gigs with a mesa boogie 4x10 and a rectifier. sounded great... not such a great clean tone though.

if you want to give the kid good advice... advise him to be reasonable and remove the stars from his eyes. he may not have the knack... and will be stuck with waaaayyyy too much equipment.

classical lessons is a good suggestion... and will require a nylon string acoustic... sorry pal no showing off your 3 favorite riffs at the music store.
:P
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

nitrofox or something wrote: If I had started out with an electric I dunno if I would have ever enjoyed playing acoustic
but to balance out the other side of hte coin.
i started off with an electric (as i said) in my teens, and now i'm looking to buy an acoustic.

so mneh :P. the cycle does go both ways. (i have more of a taste for acoustic guitar now).

it's a personal choice. don't let these fridgemagnets here force you into something you don't wanna buy, just coz "it's how it's done". i would have probabaly GIVEN UP GUITAR if i started on an accoustic like everyone was telling me to, coz i really wanted an electric.
cops was probabaly the exact opposite.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

<--- started on electric
<--- plays both

:)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

my world no longer makes sense
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

roid wrote:my world no longer makes sense
yit may perfa cents four me.<
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

finished oiling the neck last night, just waiting for it to dry then I'll put the pickups in and be done with it.

roid, just don't buy Ibanez :) I don't like them, first, they're foreign made and American guitars are made with a much higher quality. They are much more expensive so pick and choose carefully.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

americans guitars are foreign to me ;). i don't care about that kinda stuff, since i'm not made of money and don't see mystical powers in various guitars like some do, i just choose with my wallet anyway. it's just gonna be something with steel strings around $300 that i don't think sounds like crap - prettymuch any acoustic sounds neat to me, i tormented a storeowner by refusing to agree that his favourite guitar sounded any better than this other one, it just sounded different.
it's like a person, (sure some are retarded but) generally everyone's just "different", every guitar's sound has it's fan.
this guitar is prettymuch just for when the world blows up and i don't have power outlets to plug my amp into. i wouldn't oil it (oil? wtf). okok fine it's also coz i really do want to have a steelstring acoustic sound at arm's reach when i want it, i'm sick of my solidbody elec-guitar.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

roid, just don't buy Ibanez I don't like them, first, they're foreign made and American guitars are made with a much higher quality.

^ - blind nationalist :-P

I actually like Ibanez guitars quite a lot. My bass is an Ibanez, and I've liked all the ones I've played in stores and such. On the other hand, I find many American guitars boring, including for example most Fenders. And I make that comment having owned a Strat since I was 14. I like it, but it's kind of bland nowadays, though I guess it depends on what style you play.

For the starting on acoustic or electric question, I think it really depends on what your goal is. If you want to play death metal, hardcore punk, or start an SRV cover band, an acoustic won't cut it. If you want to play Segovia, Hedges, or strum songs around the campfire, an electric won't do. Although, I have used an electric to play songs around a campfire before. ;) I myself started on acoustic, but now I play both, though I prefer electric. For an example, over the summer Shadowfox was asking me questions about what guitar to get, and knowing he was even more of a metalhead than me, I knew an acoustic was out of the question, so I recommended a particular Ibanez. For other friends of mine, I would say the opposite, and encourage them to get a quality acoustic. It all depends on who's buying.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Clayman wrote:
roid, just don't buy Ibanez I don't like them, first, they're foreign made and American guitars are made with a much higher quality.

not a blind nationalist clayman, it's simple math. Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese guitars are built with cheaper wood, hardware, wiring, machineheads, just about everything. They feel cheap, they do not play that well, the fingerboards are too flat, and floating tremolos are nasty. I don't understand what you mean by bland, I buy a guitar based on sound and playability. I bought my new Explorer because I wanted one, but if it didn't play or sound the way I thought it could, I would have balked. People that buy guitars based on looks are jokes, look has nothing to do with playing guitar.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

But looks has everything to do with resale. By stripping your finish you've rendered it a keeper (unless you get famous in which case it will be worth at least twice what you paid for it). :P
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Zuruck wrote:
Clayman wrote:

not a blind nationalist clayman, it's simple math. Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese guitars are built with cheaper wood, hardware, wiring, machineheads, just about everything. They feel cheap, they do not play that well, the fingerboards are too flat, and floating tremolos are nasty. I don't understand what you mean by bland, I buy a guitar based on sound and playability. I bought my new Explorer because I wanted one, but if it didn't play or sound the way I thought it could, I would have balked. People that buy guitars based on looks are jokes, look has nothing to do with playing guitar.
I won't pretend that I know percentages, but I've seen plenty of crap American guitars, and plenty of high-quality foreign ones. I think it really depends on what brand, model and price range you're talking about.

As for playing well, I find it quite curious that most of the more recent "guitar gods" play foreign guitars.

Just for two examples, Gibson doesn't make many guitars with tremolos, and the ones I've seen I don't care for, whereas, for example, Ibanez guitars generally have solid ones.

By bland, I was speaking specifically of Fender Strats and my personal experience. The sound is just too middle-of-the-road for me.

As for looks, you should take a look at Paul Gilbert's collection.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Holy crap I feel like a complete idiot... I never knew that Ibanez and Tama were the same company.