Half Life vs. Halo 2 Thus Far

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Half Life vs. Halo 2 Thus Far

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Ok, someone stated to me that Half Life would beat out Halo 2 if I remember correctly, and some have said that Halo 2 is over rated. It has also been challenged that PC is superior to console games in this same argument.

Ok, here are the results of me playing both Half Life 2 and Halo 2 based on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being terrible, 5 being average, and 10 being really good.

Ok, Half Life:

Movies: 0 (there were no movies that I could tell)

Story line: 6. Seems that the story doesn't have a whole lot to it. I can't say because I haven't been that far but I really haven't seen much more than what your average groundpounder displays.

Music: 6 (technoish music that is in most games. At times it will stop right in the middle of a fight.)

Gameplay: 7.5 Fun physics puzzles but other than that it is just like Unreal 2 or Red Faction. Run shoot stuff, run, shoot stuff, rinse, wash, repeat.

Physics/special functions: 8.5 Physics are cool. A lot of nifty traps and puzzles but at times they tend to stump the player and the game loses pace. Puzzles can be a good thing but too many of them can get annoying. When I got the crowbar I thought it might be a bit like the original Dues Ex but it is nothing like it. And there are too many empty crates!! Why are there a gazillion empty crates? The other thing I hated was how when you grab a turret it ssimply didn't look right in the way that it swings around.

Graphics: 8, pretty good. I like the eyes and facial movements and how everything appears to be fairly smooth. However, it doesn't look that much greater than Splinter Cell. However the creatures don't look like anything special. Just like creatures that you would find while playing Quake but a tad bit better.

Install: 2. It is do-able but it limits players who don't have an internet connection because you can't even install the SINGLE player game without an internet connection. It also takes forever to install 5 disks on top of registering, updating, and patching it. I started installing at about 9-10:00 P.M. and I wasn't done until about 2:45 A.M. installing it probably takes longer than it would take me to install XP and get all my drivers running.

Multiplayer: 0 There is none from what I can tell.

Halo 2:

Movies: 8.5 Tons and they are pretty long movies too!! Some of the best cutscenes for a game.

Story line: 9 Excellent. 3 decent sized books with a lot of plot twisters and story-line to back the game up and a huge story line in-game with lots of plot twisters.

Gameplay: 10 Fantastic!! I love every second of this game, never loses pace or intrest and there are plenty of things to keep you busy. The vehicles were also a lot of fun to drive.

Physics: 8, really good, great handeling for every vehicle or weapon.

Music: 10. The soundtrack is perfect! Some of it orchestra, and they even had Breaking Benjamin, Hoobastank, and Incubus to back them up. The rest of the orchestra style music was fantastic and fit the game perfectly. I also loved the sound effects for this game. Especially when you went into space, the only sound was the vibrations in the inside of your suite.

Graphics: 8.5 nice bump-mapping, good polygons, interesting creatures, vehicles and explosions were good. Water and a few things led a slight downfall but they were still pretty good. I really liked how you could see the veins in characters arms.

Install: 10 but that was easy being that it is on console and consoles don't require you to install anything. You simply pop the game in and you play it.

Multiplayer: 8.5, awsome, you have co-op, and many other game modes and I loved the way the game handled. The only downside that I can see, is that the levels were too small at times, I didn't like the over sheild, and I didn't like the fact that in co-op, the only way you can play it on legendary is to make sure both players never EVER die, killing half the fun and stratagy.

There you have it folks:

Half Life 2

Average rateing on my list: 5.4

Halo 2

Average rateing on my list: 8.9

Halo 2 LIVES!! However, I still have yet to get really deep into Half Life 2 so we will see.

Edit: Ok, I revised this a bit so you can actually stand to read it now. Warlock inspired me. ;)
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I may raise or lower this rating depending on what I see in the next while of playing these games but this is simply my thoughts on the two games in comparison. :) I own Halo 2 for X-Box and Half Life 2 for PC.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hmmmm k I just played Counter Strike so it does have multi.... well.... sorta.

However, I can't really play it due to my connect. :(
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

thats y i love halo so much, the story is so amazing along with the bad ass music, my sis and me is getting good at copo on heroic so we can do legendary cause if 1 persion dies u start all the way back at the check point.

the 1st half life was neet but where was the story..... as far as i can tell they where doing an experiment and some thang went wrong and u kill stuff. im not even ganna buy HL2 cause of the reg BS cause not all of us have broadban.

thats one nice thang about consoles, pop the disk in and away u go no installing or aney thang

*added* well i take it back on the installing cause FFXI for the ps2 u half to install it but thats understandable cause its a mmorpg and u half to get updates and so on.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Mess: You knocked Halflife because it doesnt have cutscenes? Its not supposed to! I'm not a big fan of cutscenes personally, since I'd rather be killin than watchin a movie.

Also, have you listened to the Halo 2 OST (vol.1 anyway)? Out of the 3 bands on there (the ones you mentioned), only Breaking Benjamin's song was any good, and none of em had anything to do with Halo! I buy soundtracks to hear the music in the game/movie, not so i can hear some sellout garbage that has nothing to do with it.

Warlock: Did you even play the original Half life? There was indeed a story there.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Incubus was in there. I liked Breaking Benjamin.

Hoobastank was ok.

But the orchestra stuff was awsome :)

I like cutscenes better personally. Gives you a breather, allows you to understand the story better. At least some subtitles would be nice. I tend to screw around to the point that I forget what I was told to do LOL :P
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: Half Life vs. Halo 2 Thus Far

Post by Vindicator »

mob-messenger wrote:Story line: 6. Seems that the story is
Overlooked this the first time... were you planning to tell us about this?
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Woops, seems I overlooked that too.

Fixed it now.

I will add that I like the fact that when an explosion occurs it causes you to momentarily lose your hearing.

I guess the game is ok but it is too much like other ground pounders for my tastes.

At least Halo allows you to do some different things. I want to hit guys!! :) At the first I wanted to clobber the guards with beer bottles. :\
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

Vindicator wrote:Warlock: Did you even play the original Half life? There was indeed a story there.

yes. played it, beat it, havent touch it scence.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I see some bias here. For starters they're two different games that aren't meant to be the same. The only thing they really have in common is the fact they're both FPS games. Halo is more like Unreal Tournament then Half-life. Hell, you can't even compare HL with HL2 since there is a huge leap from the two games.

The other huge factor is one is a console game and the other isn't. In which case they command different audiences. Sure you're going to have computer gamers that play on the console but generally speaking they're is usually either one or the other in most cases. Anyways, a ratings system can't be done in comparison between the games but rather on the platform they play on.

Both of them would command high ratings on their individual platform. Only time will tell which was ultimately the better game.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

mob-messenger wrote:I guess the game is ok but it is too much like other ground pounders for my tastes.
Sorry, but you kind of lost your credibility as an unbiased reviewer right there...
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

mob-messenger wrote:At least Halo allows you to do some different things. I want to hit guys!! :) At the first I wanted to clobber the guards with beer bottles. :\
GRAVITY GUN.

And you can't average in movies into your "average score".....

bah, I'm not even going to bother finishing this reply
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Yea, cutscenes shouldn't be a big part of the score. But it is this man's opinion.

I myself would put Custscenes under a Presentation category, which would include other things like how well told the story is, menu systems, and how well polished the game is overall.

But I aint got either of these games so I can't say anything about them.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

I think cutscenes should be done like Myst III did them. Cutscenes appear around you. You can still take a breather, but you still retain full control. If you want to turn your back on the person talking and walk away, so be it! Just don't complain when you don't know something later in the game.

I haven't played Half Life 2 yet, but I plan on buying it. Halo 2 was fun. I don't play a game to analyze it, I play it for fun, and my fun was ++; after Halo 2. I just hope it'll be the same for HL2.
Nirvana
DBB Harasser
DBB Harasser

Post by Nirvana »

mob-messenger wrote: At least Halo allows you to do some different things. I want to hit guys!! :) At the first I wanted to clobber the guards with beer bottles. :\
uhhh... you can throw things at the guards in hl2...
even without the aforementioned gravity gun
R e v
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by R e v »

Nirvana wrote:uhhh... you can throw things at the guards in hl2...
even without the aforementioned gravity gun
Yeah, I kept getting zapped in the train station for throwing luggage. :)
iten
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by iten »

Halo 2 looks TREMENDOUSLY ugly on my 50 inch widescreen, although I don't think it's its fault neccesarily. Anyone having this problem?

Actually, I think it might be because the XBox lost its settings, which were at 780i or something. Anyone remember where in the menu this was? At this point Halo 1 looks a lot better.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the split screen goes the wrong direction, (horizantally) which makes me really disoriented (probably also due to bad settings).
[DWL]Punk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [DWL]Punk »

god messenger.. you have a bad way of looking at games.
first of all, you need to play HL2 all the way through, and actually know what your doing. second. it's not suppose to have movies, in fact, your <i>are</i> the movie.

Aslo, stating theat there is no multiplayer should be corrected. I see you have said counter-strike.. well thats not all, Half-Life2 deathmatch, Day of Defeat:Source, Natural Selection:Source, And TONS of others already in development.

my advise. go back and play HL1
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

:roll:

Your "review" is flawed in more ways than one. You do not know how to critique games.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

If the guy likes Halo 2 more than Half Life, its his own friggin opinion. If you disagree, so be it, but don't rip on him for it.

I haven't played HL 2 nor do I have the CPU for it. Halo 2 owns, however.
Wang_Lo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Wang_Lo »

i played both of them, halo is more of the blow them the hell up, while HL2 is more of a thought based game. However, half life 2 beats Halo on multiplayer due to versatility. that is just my two cents, but

for everyone else:
whatever tickles your pickle...
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Sure you can throw stuff at the guards but it does nothing. They just look at you and keep fireing. At least thats all that happens to me. Sometimes they will chase you with the electric prod. In Halo you punch a guy and he is out or really wounded. In HL2 you shoot a guy and he doesn't even look or act wounded yet you see blood all over the wall. Halo 2, you hit an elite with a sheild he acts as though he is wounded. It annoys me in Half Life 2 that you can fire at someone and they keep on coming.

Throwing stuff is ok but it got old really fast.

And no, Halo is nothing like Unreal 2 or Tournament. Maybe 2004 because 2004 COPIED HALO!! Durrrrr.... Halo came out a long time before UT2004 did.

Halo is also not a tournament based game where you climb up a ladder by scoring kills. You actually have mission objectives and a massive story full of plot twisters to follow it. I've played UT and UT2003. I thought those games were boring personally. You can't hit guys or duel weild in UT either. In UT and 2003 you also can't drive vehicles. :)

I've gone a little deeper into the story and I prefer cutscenes over just running around a room while people happen to be trying to talk to you.

Here are your moves in HL2

Shoot
Run forward
Run backward
Run left
Run right
Turn up
Turn Down
Turn Left
Turn Right

Halo 2 controls

Shoot
Run forward
Run backward
Run left
Run right
Turn up
Turn Down
Turn Left
Turn Right
Duel Weild
Throw sticky grenade
Take over a vehicle by kicking it's rider off and boarding it.
Punch

The vehicles and weapons also handle much better. Although the hovercraft in HL2 is sorta fun.

You know, it is much easier to have simple scripted characters walking around you talking than it is to have full blown cutscenes. :)

You also can carry tons of ammo for lots of big guns and fit them all into your back pocket. Good ol' Quake again.

The game plays exactly like Red Faction. I liked Red Faction but I didn't think it was anywhere near as fun as Halo 1 or 2, anyday. :) How hard is it to point and shoot? I mastered Quake 3 Arena within about 5 hours. First time I ever played a groundpounder. :) Halo took a tad bit longer at least. But it annoys me when I'm reloading and I can't do jack until the stupid guy is done reloading his gun. I would rather break a guys jaw bone in the middle or a reload. :) Or pick up a second pistol and dual weild. :) I like the puzzles but I really want more use of vehicles and a punch attack at least.

You can objects at anyone you like in the game but they won't do anything. Really breaks away from the feeling of being in a game.

Now, as I get farther into the game, I feel that it was worth my money and I do like the game. The graphics are pretty nice and the physics are getting more and more fun. I love the gravity gun and the part where you play catch with Dog was pretty cool. The hovercraft wasn't bad. But it just doesn't have as much to do as Halo does. In Halo, you look at an enemy and you have to figure out which way to take them out, which enemy should be taken out first, where to shoot them, and what weapon would be best to use against them. You also have to figure out how to sneak up on enemies and if you have co-op you really have to work together to figure out how to take out apponents. There is always more than one way to do it. I probably played Halo 1 from beginning to end with my friends and by myself about 6-7 times on legendary and had a blast each time. Halo 2, there is even more to do and the story is so well done that I can play it multiple times. I actually haven't played it all the way through yet since I'm taking my time and I have actually gone back and played old missions over and over again. Especially the ones with vehicles. :) You can approach a battle any way you want. In Half Life 2 there is almost always only one way to defeat an enemy or to approach a situation. I don't really see any other way to change the outcome of a fight. There is only way to go in and come out alive. It also doesn't have co-op so there is no team-work involved.

Counter Strike is unplayable for me as are any other multiplayer modes. My version of Half Life, only came with Counter Srike Source. That is all that was in it. I played it for a bit but I was running on a rubber band always popping in and out of a previouse point without any control over it. It's netcode appears to follow Q3A's net code. Too bad, it might be fun with a gravity gun. I take vehicles anyday over walking on the ground though. Any game can do that.

The AI claims to be really advanced but I didn't really see how it did anything different than any other game. For instance, take Halo 1, put it on a lower mode and the covenent will actually attempt to surround you on all sides and try to force you into a corner. Play Half Life 2 and I never see any enemies attempt to do that. I haven't really seen any AI make any decisions on how to approach a situation. I guess I have yet to see it happen.

I guess my main beef with it is that it is very limited in moves that you can do and choices you have to make in combat. In Halo you have to make choices every second of the game on how to approach an enemy. What is the best stratagy?

For instance in Halo 2:

Player one keeps hogging the shotgun and killing everyone. How do you solve this problem? Grab a Sub Machine Gun, to take out armor and do physical damage while dual weilding a plasma rifle to take out shields. Works better than two machine guns. However you have to keep yourself at a distance away from the player, if he gets to close with the shotgun, your dead. Or, say a player keeps waiting by corners after you chase him, pop a grenade in. Or, you can drop in through another passageway and tag him with a plasma grenade since they stick on the target and you can throw them farther out. Your apponent taking that oversheild all the time? Just find a tight corner, aim a sniper rifle right down at it while crouched. Or a team game, someones taking a Hog over to your base, drop a grenade on it. Or if they take a tank, run up close, board it and drop a grenade inside. :)

Or if your in a tough gunfight, and running low on ammo, drop one weapon run at them while fireing and deck 'em. :)

This rating isn't permanent. I'll probably rate Half Life 2 higher at a later point depending on the gravity gun but up until now I have been sort of board. Also, why does it have to load every few rooms? The only loading is at the beginning of a mission and it takes hours to complete that mission. :) No loading anywhere. I guess I just like good old fashioned console gaming. :) All I know is that no one was in a hurry to buy Half Life where I live. I was the only person in line. Halo 2, we had massive lines winding around every corner of a video store that was connected to a video game store. That was nothing compared to other stores. :) 175 million copies in one night. :)

Of course some people thought The Ring and Grudge were wonderful movies while I thought they were the dumbest most boring movies I've ever seen.I actually laughed through half of it and later layed my coat over myself and went into a halfway sleep. :) They were scary at first but then after the first few dozen parts where stuff jumped out it just started to get boring. :P Was ok for Halloween but I wouldn't do it twice.

But only time will tell. I'm betting after about a month or two, no one will even mention Half Life 2 where Halo 2 fans will still be setting up massive tournaments, reading the books, and playing the game over and over again enjoying every moment. :)

I guess I'm a little biased but I don't really like groundpounders and fancy smancy graphics. I feel less time needs to be spent on graphics and groundpounders and more time needs to be spent on making fun and original games with more things to do. :) Thus why I enjoy playing games such as Descent over Quake. :) Halo is the only groundpounder I like at all. :)

Maybe things would be different if I could even play multiplayer. On a 56k I got over 1000 ms as apposed to D3's 480-600 ms.

Here is the story I have seen thus far from Half Life 2:

I'm in a weird prison camp called City 17.
Apparently some weird radioactive experiment caused mutations happened and I kicked butt in the first game.
Now I escape the city and cause havoc kicking a lot of butt.
I go back to where the experiment happened and get a gravity gun....
The story continues :P

Not a lot of character development, I could care less about most of the characters in this game. :D

I guess push on. Waiting for the cool stuff to actually start.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Sage wrote:Yea, cutscenes shouldn't be a big part of the score. But it is this man's opinion.

I myself would put Custscenes under a Presentation category, which would include other things like how well told the story is, menu systems, and how well polished the game is overall.
True, but I still feel that Halo 2 was presented in a much nicer fashion. :) I liked the big epic scenes, the character work, Sargent Johnson's constant BS, and how it told the story behind the Arbiter as well as Master Cheif. :) It was really a well thought out story. I liked it better than SW or Star Trek anyday for Sci Fi stories. :)

As for if I miss an objective while messing around in a room.... you know.... I prefer to look at a game as relief from my job and my family, not as my job or my family. :) So if it's not going to present it in an entertaining movie fashion with lots of character work and leave you messing around in a room where you can miss half the objectives while screwing around because your bored with listening to some animated 3D model sitting in a room droneing on about how life sucks and how I need to blow up some building or some person to make life happy again... I take a nice entertaining presentation while sitting back for a second to sip a soda and eat some chips over that any day. :)

Actually the way they presented the game made me feel less like the character in the game....

I feel more like the main character in Dues Ex. That is how they should have presented this game if they didn't want to do any cut scenes. :) Then you can at least ask the questions yourself and obtain the answers you prefer to hear. :)

Another note, I didn't like the menu system at all. With 512 MB of memory it takes me at least over 10 minutes just to load the thing because it has to load the entire Half Life world in order to display the menu. It's the same reason people hate flash sites. People don't want to wait 10-15 minutes just to read some text and decide what to click on. On top of this, you have to wait forever for Steam just to allow you to even initialise the loading of the menu. Takes forever to even play the game.

So the question is this? If I am supposed to be able to feel like I'm the main character... then why don't I get to have any choices in the matter?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I would explain the number of buyers situation by the sheer number of console gamers as opposed to people who actually play stuff on a PC (even though FPSes are -MUCH- easier to play on a mouse than a fiddly hat-switch like thing...).

I've seen some reports, regarding HL2's AI, of police actually noticing and running up when you chuck something out the window... and generally they behave as you expect they would instead of sitting around smoking cigars like ninnies. But that may be old news these days; it's just what someone said.

Wouldn't count on HL2 disappearing quickly either. The original didn't, and the sequel is rating better. You never know, it could be the new most-played PC game of all time.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Dude, you don't have to rationalize if you like one game better than another.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

True, I just like having more moves to perform. Like D3, you can tri-chord, fly upside down, do barrel rolls, do a tri-chord barrel roll combo, shoot napalm missiles at the roof and fly under, AB pulse, box dodge. :) So many things to do. :)

As for the police thing, LOL, that has been done many times over. That was done in splinter cell and I think even clear back in Dues Ex. That was back when D3 and Q3A were new!!

Halo 2 AI:

marines will take over alien vehicles, aliens will pick up marine weapons and take over human vehicles, they will jump on top of your warthog and throw guys off and take over the warthog, marines will actually drive you around while you man the gun, or youc can switch seats and the marnines will get on the chain gun and use it, you can switch weapons with marines and they will complain at you at times, once my friend gave a marine a sniper rifle as a replacement for a shotgun and he said he wished that all marines were supplied with sniper rifles :) You will even hear characters taunt each other and hold random conversations with each other. :) Characters will even dual weild and if you hop in a tank and a warthog is available, the marines will hop in the warthog and flank for you. :)
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Example of Halo 1 AI:

The mission right after you land on Halo, you have to take over a tower and protect the marines while the Covenent lands dropships all around you. Well I had it on heroic and they all attacked from one side when a dropship landed. I then put it on legendary, grunts a couple of elites and some jackels would come up the side where the dropship landed while grunts and elites would sneak around the back and come up the back passage to try and surround you. :)

Each enemy behaved differently.

Marines were considered the equivalent to grunts but they were braver and charged in no matter what.

If you killed an elite commander the grunts would ran away or if one got a grenade stuck to it, it would try to get away.

Elites think more like you do, you knock out their shield and they will hide behind cover, you charge and they will charge and try to deck you. They also have shields and know how to use them.

Hunters fight only in pairs. They will fire a fuel rod cannon at long range and charge at you being that you can't penetrate their armor. In Halo 2 they will also do a back swing if your behind them and try to hit them from behind.

Jackals carry sheilds and protect the grunts and elites. They actually charge up the plasma gun to full power and fire them to take out your sheilds. They always stick their sheilds out unless they figure your not looking. :)
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Also, by going out and buying Half Life 2 and supporting it, also keep in mind that your supporting Steam. I rank it up with the RIAA. :) They get to controle everything you do with your video games that they support. Even for single player.

I hate that they have to authorise me every time I want to play my own game that I payed $50 for.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Good thing you're not a gaming mag reviewer. Your bias is showing ;)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

General rule of thumb about software these days. You never own it, just a license to use it... it sucks, but it's true.
Nirvana
DBB Harasser
DBB Harasser

Post by Nirvana »

mob-messenger wrote:Here are your moves in HL2

Shoot
Run forward
Run backward
Run left
Run right
Turn up
Turn Down
Turn Left
Turn Right

Halo 2 controls

Shoot
Run forward
Run backward
Run left
Run right
Turn up
Turn Down
Turn Left
Turn Right
Duel Weild
Throw sticky grenade
Take over a vehicle by kicking it's rider off and boarding it.
Punch
Good thing you forgot most of halflife 2's... "Throw sticky grenade" could be compared to just throwing a grenade, like in halflife 2 (and since it IS a weapon, one could argue it should be "shot" like a weapon.

Other "controls"
----------------
use items
sprint
walk
vehicle controls (halo has this too, I assume)
gravity gun, lets you pick up and throw things distances, as well as stack objects
picking up objects and throwing/stacking/dropping
"controlling" ant-lions
flashlight
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Lets not forget this:
Gravity gun + Circular saw blade = Hours of fun on it's own
HL2's story rocks too. You can't judge that by 20 minutes of play.

And lets not forget this:
You won't see any Halo2 mods (it's on xbox, no mods there!) but you will TONS of HL2 mods, and some may be unbelievable, while others lame. But there will be many and they'll extend the life of the game as long, if not longer than the first.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

Actually, Halo 2 supports downloadable material.
I'll get HL2 a soon as there's a good NS for it. I already have 15 FPS's installed, not including all the console ones and the uninstalled ones.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Nirvana wrote:
mob-messenger wrote:Here are your

Other "controls"
----------------
use items
sprint
walk
vehicle controls (halo has this too, I assume)
gravity gun, lets you pick up and throw things distances, as well as stack objects
picking up objects and throwing/stacking/dropping
"controlling" ant-lions
flashlight
Walk
Vehicle controls, and flashlight are all in there. Sure there are grenades but you can't just throw it nearly at the same time as you fire. You also can't throw grenades that stick to objects. :)

Played with the saw blade. Was fun for a few minutes. Then it got old. You can only take out certain parts. :P The zombies remind me of old 50's movie zombies. I haven't had one even touch me yet. :P I'm clear in the area after Black Mesa. And I've played this game for over 4-5 hours at least as apposed to your 20 minutes. :)
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Something else to think about with this game.

It isn't the game that ticks me off. I'll play it once through and I think it's pretty fun for a once through but I won't play it over and over again.

The reason I made this post is that people are saying that they hope that it beats out Halo 2 in sales.

My point is this, think about what your saying here!!

What would it tell game developers if this game sells well? Duh!! To make lots of games that copy it!! Every game developer wants to have the top selling game. It is driven by money like most other buisneses. Halo 2 is expected to be the best selling game in gaming history. so if you say that Half Life 2 is better than any other game out there, you are saying that it is better than games like Dues Ex, Halo, Metal Gear Solid 1-3, Descent, and Grand Theft Auto!! Now, the way I look at it, is that I like Halo as good as Dues Ex and I like Dues Ex better than Descent 3, my favorite multiplayer game. It also has the best use of vehicles, allows you to fly, and has a lot of new moves that are much more usefull and fun than the moves provided by Half Life 2. Now from what I can see HL2 simply took a lot of ideas from other games and combined them. The gravity gun is the only good thing about the game thus far!! And I wasn't really all that impressed by it. It's ok but I prefer a machine gun to some sci fi weapon. :)

Another way to look at it:

The game reminds me of a very dumbed down Dues Ex.

What can you do in Dues Ex....

You can throw objects and guards will investigate the object.
You have a crowbar that you can hit with and break open crates.
You can pick up crates and stack them and most of these things perform exactly like Dues Ex.
However, Dues Ex in my opinion beats out HL2 because you have so many more things to do. You have text based decisions to make, you choose the questions you ask and part of the game you go around investigating and you choose what questions to ask and what side quests to go on to earn extra money and points.
You also choose what special abililties your character has and you get to modify how every weapon performs, add laser sights, give it recoil, and give it extra range. You even get different kinds of ammo for each weapon to choose from. And the normal gameplay other than text based stuff reminds you of HL2 but better. :) Also note for AI, in Dues Ex, you pick up a soda can or candy bar that belongs to a marine and they will get after you, walk in the girls bathroom and get caught and your boss will later yell at you for it!!

However Dues Ex doesn't have vehicles.

And note how vehicles have become very popular after Halo came out? Any coincidence??!!

The game isn't bad. I do enjoy playing it but I don't think it is the type of game that I want to see as first runner up. :) But I do want to see something with flying vehicles in it as first runner up. :)

I guess my point is that I've seen all this. Maybe not all combined in this way but I have seen each element of this game in other FPS games. :P

Not very many games have I seen that you can throw a punch, dual weild two different weapons, throw grenades that stick on targets, hijack vehicles off from enemy troops, and fly in. :)
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

mob-messenger wrote:Not very many games have I seen that you can throw a punch, dual weild two different weapons, throw grenades that stick on targets, hijack vehicles off from enemy troops, and fly in. :)
Thats all you had to say, and many here would agree with you.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Well the thing is that sure my review is biased but aren't most reviews biased?

Anyway, I also said that I would update it. I will after another night or so of it. :) The points will go up now that I have played it more but it's still not going to outrun Halo 2.

BTW, I'm still looking for that storyline and I'm clear in Black Mesa fighting the zombies that walk at about 5 feet per minute. :D
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

No Vindicator....

The point I'm trying to make is that I don't want Half Life 2 to overthrow Halo 2 as the top game. However, I do want something REALLY unique to overthrow it.

I'm sure their engine and physics will show up in other games and that won't die if it comes in as number 2 or as it's equal. :) But I don't want it to knock Halo 2 out the window. :) I didn't feel the gameplay was unique enough from Quake or Red Faction for that position. :)

So to shorten it up, be carefull what you wish for. :)
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Beowulf wrote:If the guy likes Halo 2 more than Half Life, its his own friggin opinion. If you disagree, so be it, but don't rip on him for it.

Who's ripping on who again? :roll:
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Top Wop wrote:
Beowulf wrote:If the guy likes Halo 2 more than Half Life, its his own friggin opinion. If you disagree, so be it, but don't rip on him for it.

Who's ripping on who again? :roll:
TW, I wasn't ripping on anyone and if you read what I said, you can clearly see this. I simply explained why I feel that Halo 2 is a better game by writing my own review. :) Simple as that. I also wanted to point out that when a statement is said like that, they really need to consider what they are saying. :) No personal attacks were made that I can recall. :)

I also never said the game sucked.I think it's a pretty cool game. I just don't think it wasn't as original as I had hoped it would be.

I will hand them this.... the ambience is really good!! This is exactly where they need to drop the music. They actually don't have any music in this area. However I felt that it needed more music through the beginning of the game.

The zombies seemed stupid at first and never hit me once until I went deeper and the tough creatures actually came out. Then it actually got really REALLY cool :)

I had to take a breather in this game. First time in a long long time I actually got creeped out while playing a video game. :) I still don't feel that it is a game I could play through more than once but it is good. :) Just like most scary movies you can only watch once and actually get scared. :)