1.5?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

1.5?

Post by snoopy »

Have we conclusively determined if it's ever going to get released? (Suncho, if you're willing to release a hacked version of 1.4, why havn't you released the 1.5 beta?)
Instig8
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Instig8 »

1.5 beta has been around town for quite a while. And, do we really need another discussion of 1.5?
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

no not really. But if people wanna talk about it, so be it.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I wanna talk about EGG NOG !!!!! :evil:
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Duper wrote:I wanna talk about EGG NOG !!!!! :evil:
I have a Dog named "Egg Nog", Duper.

Pika Pika!
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Once again, 1.5 will never happen. Give it up.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

hahah...I've seen that gif a million times and I still laugh. So classic.

Whoa, people are actually still talking about this patch?
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Why is the 1.5 patch wanted anyway? Seems 1.4 works fine...
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

OG3 Doesn't work with 1.4 :(
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Thenior wrote:Why is the 1.5 patch wanted anyway? Seems 1.4 works fine...
If you knew what I know, you would not say that. :P
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

STRESSTEST wrote:
Duper wrote:I wanna talk about EGG NOG !!!!! :evil:
I have a Dog named "Egg Nog", Duper.

LOL
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

My point is: why hasn't someone in the community just released the 1.5 beta instead of waiting for outrage to do something?
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

I'm still wondering why the people who have Kevin's number haven't called him to ask about it.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

snoopy wrote:My point is: why hasn't someone in the community just released the 1.5 beta instead of waiting for outrage to do something?
We have
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

And he said what?
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

CDN_Merlin wrote:And he said what?
Read the quote that Stress was referring to. He's answering a different question.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Krom wrote:
Thenior wrote:Why is the 1.5 patch wanted anyway? Seems 1.4 works fine...
If you knew what I know, you would not say that. :P
hax!
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re: 1.5?

Post by Suncho »

snoopy wrote:Have we conclusively determined if it's ever going to get released? (Suncho, if you're willing to release a hacked version of 1.4, why havn't you released the 1.5 beta?)
1.5 doesn't have cross platform compatibility. You can find the beta if you go looking, but it's not done.

If we all switched to the 1.5 beta (which isn't gonna happen btw) we'd have no SOD, esa would have half as many servers, and we'd be alienating all Mac and Linux players.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

2 of the mac players have PCs Javed and Fusion. Who else is there on mac that plays?

Linux guys are x86 based and are not stupid by any means since they have tackled Linux. So they can easily throw a WinOS on a partition with ease.

Personally, I say, lets go to the 1.5 patch
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I've a simple batch job to switch back & forth betw. 1.4 & 1.5 at "the fly" -- I could post a "how to". There are only 8 files different in 1.5..
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

STRESSTEST wrote:2 of the mac players have PCs Javed and Fusion. Who else is there on mac that plays?

Linux guys are x86 based and are not stupid by any means since they have tackled Linux. So they can easily throw a WinOS on a partition with ease.

x2
Pugwash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pugwash »

KompresZor wrote:
STRESSTEST wrote:2 of the mac players have PCs Javed and Fusion. Who else is there on mac that plays?

x2
x3
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Pugwash wrote:
KompresZor wrote:

x2
x3
ahh, what the hell

x4
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Matrix »

Unix wrote:
Pugwash wrote:
KompresZor wrote:

x2
x3
ahh, what the hell

x4
I been saying this for years
someone make a poll!

x5
iten
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by iten »

x(-1), if it means breaking compatibility.

EDIT: Plus, Suncho's right, we would have about half of the servers we do now.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Well, I guess that would mean there would be half as many empty servers. Big loss?
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

No, not really

I for one will start hosting again if the community decides to evolve
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Maybe it'll be ok for some of the regular D3 players but I have the feeling that switching to an incomplete 1.5 beta patch will alienate potential newbies. I dunno about you, but I haven't yet given up on the future of D3.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Without pxo I just can't imagine we would have one single newbie. They couldn't get into chat, how would they know the irc channel? They couldn't find games the way the manuel tells them.

If newbies exist these days it is because an oldbie told them to "check out this game." And allready expalined to them how to find servers/chat, etc. They would simply now have to also tell them how to get 1.5.
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

Kevin has done some work on this 1.5 patch right? So does anyone have a copy of that version of the patch? Or do people only have access to the pre-Bently 1.5 patch?

I say we get the latest version and put it out there. We cannot continually wait around thinking someone is going to help us, because chances are they will not. We need to help ourselves, and evolve. That is what may breath a little new life into D3.

As far as Macs and Linux goes well come on how much would it cost to buy a P3 733 with a G-Force 3 for crying out loud. You can't tell me that there are no other reasons one windows PC can't be usefull for something in your alternative life. I Run Ubuntu linux on one of my boxes, I just don't play games with it.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Everyone wants the 1.5 patch for the new netcode. I've heard that the 1.5 netcode is exactly the same as the 1.4, so what's the big deal? If it's not going to improve the gaming experience, then why do we even want it? Can someone confirm or refute this, please?

What, exactly, is the 1.5 patch going to do for me?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

We got Javed to buy a PC.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Most new mac's are going to be Linux based anyways.
iten
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by iten »

Duper wrote:Most new mac's are going to be Linux based anyways.
Uh... no.
UNIX != Linux
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Strike 1: UNIX != Linux
Strike 2: PowerPC != x86
Strike 3: Talking about something you know nothing about.

I think we're past the point where releasing the patch matters or not. There isn't even any more autoupdate for newbies (which we don't have) to get the patch. And I want more than 4 people to have played OG3.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

punisher wrote: What, exactly, is the 1.5 patch going to do for me?
There are many bug fixes as well, ohh.. like Suncho's pet peeve, the Omega. Maybe Suncho will be gracious enough to post the change log that is 1.5. Alex?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

DCrazy wrote:I think we're past the point where releasing the patch matters or not. There isn't even any more autoupdate for newbies (which we don't have) to get the patch. And I want more than 4 people to have played OG3.
Likewise. I haven't been able to actually play it since it was released two or so years ago.
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

Just as a little side note, has even a Windows server 1.5 been released?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

The new patch has more anti-cheat code in it.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Descent 3 v1.5 Readme 10/22/2001 wrote:Fixes for Version 1.5.0:
- Fixed a checksum problem introduced in 1.4 that prevented some levels from being played across platforms (for example, Windows and Linux).
- Force feedback now works under Windows 2000.
- Fixed crash starting a multiplayer game when the Black Pyro is the only allowed ship and the player is currently set to use another ship.
- Can no longer start a multiplayer game with no allowed ships.
- It's no longer possible to crash the dedicated server by typing a very long command line in telnet mode.
- Disabled cheats that are based on changing the ship weapon values in the data files.
- Mod files are now stored on www.descent3.com (instead of www.pxo.net).
- Removed support for HEAT.NET, as they're no longer in business.
- Pilot command-line arg (-pilot or +name) is now only checked once, not every time the main menu comes up. This fixes the problem of the game switching back to the pilot specified on the command line after the user has selected a different one.
- When the player's HUD name level is lowered by a game server, the client remembers the higher level and will revert to that level when a server allows.
- Fixed a problem with the GuideBot menu not responding to key presses after firing with the mouse.
- Saved games now properly load custom textures.
- Demos now properly load custom textures.
- Primary weapons no longer behave oddly when attempting to fire secondaries when out of secondaries.
- Fixed a rendering crash that could be caused (among other ways, probably) by a lot of chaff being detonated at once.
- Fixed some (maybe all) multiplayer ghost ship problem.
- Omega cannon energy usage is now not framerate dependent.
- Fixed crashes/slowdowns when using the omega cannon.
- Fixed a problem with the rearview camera when viewing demos of multiplayer games.
- Fixed a ghost ship problem with demos after a player respawned in a multiplayer game.
- Certain objects, such as the surface cannon in level 10, no longer interact with observers in multiplayer games.
- The stats file now contains a listing of team members in Team Anarchy, Mosterball, and Entropy.
- The results screen for team anarchy now shows the team scores.
- Don't show extra teams on team anarchy & monsterball results screens.
- Removed the Mission Status item from the HUD config menu, since there is no Mission Status HUD indicator.
- Removed the missile camera center window option, since it didn't really work (& wasn't supposed to be there in the first place). If you really want the center view, however, you can set MissileView to 1 in the registry. Note that going into the config menu will reset it, though.
- Fixed problems when video bit depth set to 32.
- Clients now can hear the server player taking omega (& other) damage.
- Fixed problems with omega cannon causing wrong amounts of damage and damage to the person firing the weapon.
- Allowed room for longer team names on results screens.
- Ping & packet loss data no longer displayed on HUD in peer-to-peer games.
- It's no longer possible to pick up a powerup in multiplayer while leaving observer mode while moving over the powerup.
- Added confirmation HUD messages when sending private messages.
- Fixed several problems unloading overlay data.
- Made -mission work as described; that is, it now causes the specified mission to start automatically when the game is started.
- Colored stipes now display on player ships in demo playback of multiplayer games.
- HUD gauges now work in demo playback.
- Clarified the description in readme.txt of the -mission command-line option. Refer to Section 7, Command-line Options, for the new description.
- Fixed a couple problems with the level auto-download system.
- In demos of multiplayer games, player ships no longer switch between modesl for different ships.

New features for Version 1.5.0:
- Increased by 20 the maximum number of player ships.
- Increased by 300 the maximum number of textures.
- Increased by 100 the maximum number of objects.
- Increased by 200 the maximum number of polygon models.
- Added "-nosatomega" command-line option to disable alpha effects on omega cannon. Try this if you have speed or crashing problems with the omega under 1.5.
- Added -nocrashbox command-line option to disable the error dialog displayed if the game crashes.
- Improvements for some players using NAT routers. If you're having trouble playing D3 using a NAT, enable port/host forwarding on the NAT server, then specify your port with the the -useport and -pxoport command-line options.
- Added "-datacheck" command-line option. If you get a message on the loading screen that your mission has data errors, use this option and see the file "datacheck.out" for a description of the data errors in your mission.
- In multiplayer, a HUD message is shown when a player's ship is changed because the selected ship is not allowed.

Known issues in Version 1.5.0:
- Because of limitations in the precision of Descent 3's timer, high framerates are not displayed accurately on the HUD.