Square holes

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Square holes

Post by woodchip »

From spirits cameras we have two rocks with rectangular openings:

Now the question is...how many times have you seen rectangular openings in rocks? Considering these 2 rocks are in close proximity, I'll leave your active imaginations come to the fore.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Wow. I'll buy it! ... er wait.

Obviously it is an alian's doing.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Crank up the brain power Meat. Depending on the hardness of the rocks, The hole could be the work of small organisms trying to colonise the stones. I find it interesting that the geoheads at JPL aren't even curious enough to at least stick the microscope imager down at the mout of these rocks.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Brain power seems to be something I'm lacking of late, unfortunately. I chalk it up to my workaholic schedule of late. My post was just sarcasm though. Image It is interesting.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Artifact of the resolution. Get a close up picture, in the sunlight so you can see not only the perimeter of the hole but also the shape of its walls and floor. If it's a perfect rectangular solid, then maybe you have more of a case. Plus the picture on the right is only half visible, meaning it could be any shape under the sand. Image

Why would "small organisms" make rectangular holes anyway?
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

yeah i spoted that one on the left right away in the big BW pix that they have out
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

"Why would "small organisms" make rectangular holes anyway?"

For the same reason Pileated Woodpeckers bore rectangular holes in tree trunks...who knows?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Oh and a little better resolution:

Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

I'll give you it looks eroded, like water that got trapped on top of the rock dissolved it into a hole. But saying it's micro-organisms is too big a leap without any other evidence.
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

Maybe there was a xenolith in that space. On earth, xenoliths are often ultramafic, so they would erode much more quickly than the matrix.

That's just one possibility off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many more "boring" possibilities that have nothing to do with life forces.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

It is a Martian.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Given the size of the surface of Mars and the amount of rocks on it, you're statistically bound to have rocks with almost square holes in them. Next will be triangular holes, circular holes, etc. ooh wow and kthxbyenow Image
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Tricord, I'd accept your premis except there are 2 rocks with squarish looking opening in a very small area.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Very interesting. Lets say for the sake of arguement that they are artifically made to that shape. What does it prove? That life was born there, or had simply existed for a given ammount of time and moved on? If those two rocks were part of some construct, where are the rest of the debris? As much as I'd like to say its proof of life existed on Mars, I'm as skeptical as the next guy. We need something more concrete than that. (and I don't mean the "alien skull" rock photo)
VaussBait
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VaussBait »

Call me when the find the round peg! Image

j/k

-Vauss OUT
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Those aren't square holes... those are Doors! The martians are really small Image
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

That's because that's really an aerial view of New Mexico.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

That's because the square wooden peg that held the two rocks together has long since vanished - leaving just the sockets where the martians glued the two rocks together using the wooden pin.

Pretty obvious really! Image

Let's say it together people: COINCIDENCE CAN ACCOUNT FOR ALMOST ANYTHING.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Personally, I thing the Martians are just $crewing with us and would like nothing better than to keep our 2Million dollar RC cars at home.

Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Those rocks are actually weights for a martian barbell. The square holes are for for the wooden bar that fits in between two such weights. Ancient martians were well known for pumping ... er uh ... rock. Image
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Mobius, how many coincidences does it take before it is something else.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Clearly, this is proof of the existence of a multinational rightwing conspiracy whose secret goal is world domination and the subjugation of all human life. Run for the hills. Personally, I am moving to Canada. They have good beer.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by woodchip:
Tricord, I'd accept your premis except there are 2 rocks with squarish looking opening in a very small area.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe at one point they were the same rock and broke apart...? (broken by the martians of course Image)
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by woodchip:
Tricord, I'd accept your premis except there are 2 rocks with squarish looking opening in a very small area.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Mars is still large enough to allow for this with a reasonable amount of probability.

Did you know that Mars has the highest mountain in the solar system? Some 25.000m! The mount Everest is only like 8.800m. What was the chance for Mars to get such a high mountain? Fairly small. Yet it's there. And don't tell me it was built by martians Image
Zoop!
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Zoop! »

Those rocks are their invasion fleet. Run!