Get the latest 1.5 patch and play on servers now running

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Get the latest 1.5 patch and play on servers now running

Post by STRESSTEST »

Okay, first off I want to say if you don't like this, or have something against it, fine.

1.5 patch last known release was dates 10/22/01

If you have the patch, great. If you don't, get it here

---------------------------------------------------

Instructions. ( for client and server setup }

1) Browse to your Games directory. (c:\games\ is the defalut}

2) Create a new folder called Descent3_15 (or whatever you want) next to your Descent3 folder (not in it)

Now you have a c:\games\descent3 and a c:\games\descent3_15

3) Go into the Descent3 folder.
4) Go up to "Edit" and click on "Select all" at the top of the box
5) Right-click on one of the highlighted folders and select "Copy" from the popup menu
6) open the new descent3_15 folder and right click in it and select "paste" from the popup menu

this will take some time depending on how many taunts/missions you have. What this is doing is making an exact duplicate folder that you can patch. This will still leave you with the main installation of D3 v1.4 so you can play both.

7) Open the downloaded zip file using winzip or another aip util. In Winzip click the "Extract" button on the top of the application. Browse to the c:\games\descent3_15 folder and click the "extract" button on the right.

8) Create a shortcut for yourself on your desktop and point it at the new Descent3.exe located in c:\games\descent3_15

That's it. The process takes all of your missions, pilots, settings, commandline options in the launcher etc. to the new folder, so there is no need to reconfigure anything.

The 1.5 games will show up in the normal trackers.
Gamespy, Vortex (newest version), kquery 4.0, Kali. They do not show up on descent.cx for obvious reasons. The server names of mine start with "1.5 Patch....."

I am currently running 3 and might add some more.
---------------------------------------------------

Release notes (Also found in the new readme after patching c:\games\descent3_15\languages\readmes\readme.txt)
Descent 3 v1.5 Readme 10/22/2001 wrote:Fixes for Version 1.5.0:
- Fixed a checksum problem introduced in 1.4 that prevented some levels from being played across platforms (for example, Windows and Linux).
- Force feedback now works under Windows 2000.
- Fixed crash starting a multiplayer game when the Black Pyro is the only allowed ship and the player is currently set to use another ship.
- Can no longer start a multiplayer game with no allowed ships.
- It's no longer possible to crash the dedicated server by typing a very long command line in telnet mode.
- Disabled cheats that are based on changing the ship weapon values in the data files.
- Mod files are now stored on www.descent3.com (instead of www.pxo.net).
- Removed support for HEAT.NET, as they're no longer in business.
- Pilot command-line arg (-pilot or +name) is now only checked once, not every time the main menu comes up. This fixes the problem of the game switching back to the pilot specified on the command line after the user has selected a different one.
- When the player's HUD name level is lowered by a game server, the client remembers the higher level and will revert to that level when a server allows.
- Fixed a problem with the GuideBot menu not responding to key presses after firing with the mouse.
- Saved games now properly load custom textures.
- Demos now properly load custom textures.
- Primary weapons no longer behave oddly when attempting to fire secondaries when out of secondaries.
- Fixed a rendering crash that could be caused (among other ways, probably) by a lot of chaff being detonated at once.
- Fixed some (maybe all) multiplayer ghost ship problem.
- Omega cannon energy usage is now not framerate dependent.
- Fixed crashes/slowdowns when using the omega cannon.
- Fixed a problem with the rearview camera when viewing demos of multiplayer games.
- Fixed a ghost ship problem with demos after a player respawned in a multiplayer game.
- Certain objects, such as the surface cannon in level 10, no longer interact with observers in multiplayer games.
- The stats file now contains a listing of team members in Team Anarchy, Mosterball, and Entropy.
- The results screen for team anarchy now shows the team scores.
- Don't show extra teams on team anarchy & monsterball results screens.
- Removed the Mission Status item from the HUD config menu, since there is no Mission Status HUD indicator.
- Removed the missile camera center window option, since it didn't really work (& wasn't supposed to be there in the first place). If you really want the center view, however, you can set MissileView to 1 in the registry. Note that going into the config menu will reset it, though.

- Fixed problems when video bit depth set to 32.
- Clients now can hear the server player taking omega (& other) damage.
- Fixed problems with omega cannon causing wrong amounts of damage and damage to the person firing the weapon.
- Allowed room for longer team names on results screens.
- Ping & packet loss data no longer displayed on HUD in peer-to-peer games.
- It's no longer possible to pick up a powerup in multiplayer while leaving observer mode while moving over the powerup.
- Added confirmation HUD messages when sending private messages.
- Fixed several problems unloading overlay data.
- Made -mission work as described; that is, it now causes the specified mission to start automatically when the game is started.
- Colored stipes now display on player ships in demo playback of multiplayer games.
- HUD gauges now work in demo playback.
- Clarified the description in readme.txt of the -mission command-line option. Refer to Section 7, Command-line Options, for the new description.
- Fixed a couple problems with the level auto-download system.
- In demos of multiplayer games, player ships no longer switch between modesl for different ships.

New features for Version 1.5.0:
- Increased by 20 the maximum number of player ships.
- Increased by 300 the maximum number of textures.
- Increased by 100 the maximum number of objects.
- Increased by 200 the maximum number of polygon models.
- Added "-nosatomega" command-line option to disable alpha effects on omega cannon. Try this if you have speed or crashing problems with the omega under 1.5.
- Added -nocrashbox command-line option to disable the error dialog displayed if the game crashes.
- Improvements for some players using NAT routers. If you're having trouble playing D3 using a NAT, enable port/host forwarding on the NAT server, then specify your port with the the -useport and -pxoport command-line options.
- Added "-datacheck" command-line option. If you get a message on the loading screen that your mission has data errors, use this option and see the file "datacheck.out" for a description of the data errors in your mission.
- In multiplayer, a HUD message is shown when a player's ship is changed because the selected ship is not allowed.

Known issues in Version 1.5.0:
- Because of limitations in the precision of Descent 3's timer, high framerates are not displayed accurately on the HUD.
Come play :) Enjoy the fixes you have been denied for over 3 years.

If you want to send me hate mail, click here

-Stress
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

Everybody should be playing 1.2, it was the fastest.
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

GG last night guys that was a blast :D That Omega is awesome when it works right!!
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Now we all need new no-C... Uh. Yeah. I'd be up for some 1.5.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

bout damn time someone grew a pair and posted it
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Your welcome
LunchBox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by LunchBox »

Yes great fun tonight Stress.. Truly a pretty bold thing to do..

The gameplay is much smoother feeling and the damn white boxes.. I didnt see any. Just as good as I rememeber playing over 2 years ago
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

1.5 patch rules! Great games tonight, fellas!
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Capm wrote:bout damn time someone grew a pair and posted it
This coming from someone who refuses to run 1.5 servers when there's one mac player among us.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Where are you getting that idea Ferno? I'm all for the 1.5 release. I think you are confused o_0

Do_Checkor is who you are thinking of
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

yea, ferno is confused :) thx for da stickage
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

w00t! Thank you Stresstest. :D
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

I keep on timing out Stress :(
R e v
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by R e v »

I don't think I have played since it was released, but here's a mirror regardless. :)

http://www.sonsofvanu.com/files/possiblefinal15.zip

If this file becomes a problem, for whatever legal reasons, simply let me know and I will pull it.

-J. 'rev'
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

Hi Rev, everyone,

I'm really dense with this stuff as you guys know.

Do I need to copy my whole D3 folder or just the missions?

When I DL new missions I extract to both, right?

Does the exe. process get confused in the Descent.cx program if I have two folders? I'm pretty sure it won't given that no one has commented on that but just wanted to ask.

I'm going to do this thing if you will answer these ???. :)

Thanks

Margo
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

sheepdog wrote:Do I need to copy my whole D3 folder or just the missions?
All of the contents of your Descent3 folder, including all subdirectories. STRESSTEST described how to do it up there ^.
sheepdog wrote:When I DL new missions I extract to both, right?
Yes, if you want to be able to play that mission on both versions.
sheepdog wrote:Does the exe. process get confused in the Descent.cx program if I have two folders?
It doesn't get confused, but unless you specify the new v1.5 directory it will continue to use v1.4.

When you click on the address for a game in the Descent.cx browser you will see a field with the title, "Path to Descent3 MAIN.EXE:". Change the field value from "C:\Games\Descent3\MAIN.EXE" to "C:\Games\Descent3_15\MAIN.EXE".
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I don't care about this patch being released. I don't care about it splitting some community: But I do care that it is being advertised on the DBB.

If this thread is fine with you Xciter please move it back to MP. If there is something I am missing, then please move it back to MP. I moved the thread here instead of deleating it because:

1. I might be wrong.
2. I didn't want to deleate it incase of 1 :P
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Thats odd, if I move a stickied thread, it is stickied in the forum I moved it too? Thats odd.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

LOL true
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

yea.. odd
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

If you move a thread, it will keep its last state. (ie: if its closed, it will stay closed when you move it. Rinse and repeat.)
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

Suncho released a 1.4 patch with a no-cd crack in it. That he had permission to do.

Stress, not Suncho, released the 1.5 patch. Or did Suncho have permission for that, too?
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

Just for my (and WhollyCow's) information, doesn't this fix the Linux/Mac issues as well?
WhollyCow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WhollyCow »

It would if Mac or Linux binaries existed to address those issues, Sarge. Until they do, we're stuck in 1.4.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Yoink!
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

Thanks Thorne. Thanks Stress. Thanks Xciter. And you too Grooveyman, sorry for bustin' on ya! :)
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

1.5 gets the official Hattrick seal of approval!

Thx for the nudge Bill!
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

WhollyCow wrote:It would if Mac or Linux binaries existed to address those issues, Sarge. Until they do, we're stuck in 1.4.
Oh crap...
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

Woo Hoo! Even the Ole Dummy was able to do it. Thanx Bill. Wish everyone could write directions so clear and easy to follow.

I will be posting a link to this thread on the Team NuB Forum. I personally respect both sides of the issue regarding the legality and the fact it will leave out some people. However, I honestly feel that releasing the patch will start something. As stated before, there are members of this community who are willing to work on it and see it through to its completion. Hopefully, something will come out of this to resolve the issues and benefit us all.

I will explain the issues to my members. Many of them do not visit this board and are not aware of the history and ramifications. The final decision will be theirs. I feel I must respect their individual feelings.
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

Deadmeat wrote:As stated before, there are members of this community who are willing to work on it and see it through to its completion. Hopefully, something will come out of this to resolve the issues and benefit us all.
It can't be completed without the source code, and that has not been published. I'm not at all sure that this move helps that any either.

Getting the source code released would quite likely be the best thing for everyone.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Delkian wrote:Getting the source code released would quite likely be the best thing for everyone.
Amen. Very unfortunately, it doesn't seem as though that would ever happen. :( After seeing what the FS2 community did with their source, I know we could make some amazing improvements to D3.

I've already stated my position on the 1.5 patch in another thread. I will say that I did install it long enough to finally test out OG3, but when I got constant main.exe errors when trying to use it, I decided that it was pointless and uninstalled.

P.S. Xciter, Delkian's right. To the best of anyone's knowledge, Stress has absolutely no approval from either Kevin or Matt for the release of this patch.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Okay, I got my 1.5, I got my OG3, I'm ready.

BTW, I really wanted to send you some hate mail! :wink:
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Maybe I'll swing by if I see anyone playing n' stuff. Thx Stress.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

pipsqueak10 wrote:Okay, I got my 1.5, I got my OG3, I'm ready.

BTW, I really wanted to send you some hate mail! :wink:
Well, you could always reach him by phone.

1-800-f00k-y00

;) :mrgreen:
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

I'm Sorry Stress, but I must object to the release of 1.5. Those of us that fly Mac or Unix D3, Until Matt Benlty(sp?) finishes those ports are stuck using our 1.4.1(Mac) or 1.4.x(Linux) versions. I also understand that this is a very old patch, in fact several years old, so why do such a thing when it discriminates against those other platforms from enjoying those servers? Although I have switched to PC D3, it does not mean I won't help or speak up for Mac Pilots. In fact the Mac Clan has been asking in their forums about it, and I will post this string's addy to them, so they can input their feelings and opinions.

[NuB2]Fusion
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

It's never going to happen. Kevin hasn't replied to the D3 Feedback Forum in several months and there's no sign of updates or even work going on.

Release the damned thing already.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

It would happen if someone would talk to him. I don't have his info, so I can't. But there are people that do (and they aren't doing anything :roll:).
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

Skyalmian wrote:It would happen if someone would talk to him.
I tried myself on the first day of this thread...

Heard by several people that Kevin hasn't answered to anybody since April this year...
Arenzera
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re: Get the latest 1.5 patch and play on servers now running

Post by Arenzera »

STRESSTEST wrote:Okay, first off I want to say if you don't like this, or have something against it, fine.

blah blah blah

-Stress
Where did you get this from?

Kiel :-)