1.5?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

Dammit! Lets get going! I hate talking about 1.5, LOL. somebody drive out to Kevin Bently's house and get the Patch as is.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Suncho wrote:Maybe it'll be ok for some of the regular D3 players but I have the feeling that switching to an incomplete 1.5 beta patch will alienate potential newbies. I dunno about you, but I haven't yet given up on the future of D3.
I disagree- They're going to have to dig up a patch either way, why not just tell them that the patch that everyone is playing is 1.5beta instead of 1.4? I see no difference at all, except for people who are uptight about downloading indepandant/beta projects.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

If we do switch to the 1.5 patch can someone leave at least one server up that runs as 1.4? Maybe a stadium game or something else that works with linux players. I am mostly in linux and would hate to have to boot into windows every time I want to play D3.

I always hoped the 1.5 patch would fix the compatability problems we already have, not make it worse. But if it fixes some important things then I say go for it.

So does anyone in these forums know a way to contact Kevin? I don't think so. :cry:
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I disagree with releasing it, if for nothing else than for the legal issues (which I doubt many of you care about anyway :P). I also think it's silly to release a patch that promised fixes for cross-platform compatibility to just one platform.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

So there is a copy of the latest 1.5 patch running around? Could someone PM me where to get it so I can test our MSDS projects with it? Latest I have is a 2001 build.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

As long there is only ONE active Linux or MAC Player I won't run a 1.5.

Hey people: If you want 1.5 -> take Pyromania and you have it.

FYI: Skorpion (who is a Linux dude) is working on a solution for 1.4 to get the most important Linux bugs solved (high-ping and levels don't match). I'll let you know when done. If you're interested join the irc.descentforum.net ...

@ Goober: No offense, but are you playing D3? Are you reading the chat? We had PLENTY new players since the death of PXO.

Getting a illegal 1.5 Patch out doesn't seem to be smart to me. This will part the community more and might kill D3 completely...
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

I saw that it supported Force feedback....

I have 2 forcefeedback joysticks, both use IFORCE2.DLL.
Whereas Descent used IFORCE.DLL, I believe. That would rock to be able to play with my Force again....
WhollyCow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WhollyCow »

STRESSTEST wrote:2 of the mac players have PCs Javed and Fusion. Who else is there on mac that plays?
*wave*
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Capm wrote:So there is a copy of the latest 1.5 patch running around? Could someone PM me where to get it so I can test our MSDS projects with it? Latest I have is a 2001 build.
Oct 2001 is the latest floating out there AFAIK.
Do_Checkor wrote:Hey people: If you want 1.5 -> take Pyromania and you have it.
Well, the one PM server running right now tells me "level data mismatch". Probably not 1.5g (why I'm not surprised ?).
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Just release the goddamn patch and lets evolve for the love of God. Im sick of playing a bugged game all the time. The longer we wait the less of a chance old players will return to check out the new patch. And having half the number of empty servers is a loss to no one. It gets to a point where holding back the whole community in order to allow 2 or 3 people a chance to play just because they choose a different platform is ridiculous.
Pugwash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pugwash »

my gut reaction is "hell yeah, release it" but what EXACTLY is 1.5 going to fix? is it going to stop all the pheeni wankas from running aol and dl pron while they play? Is it gonna stop invisible napalms and fusion? is it gonna half the number of secondaries in every map? is it gonna stop tank wankas from flying in levels whos tunnels are exactly the same size as triple fusion (removing any need for the "boring" task of aiming)?

Someone that worked for the company tells me the net code has NOT changed since 1.0 (or was it 1.1?). How is 1.5 going to help?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Making things work. :)
Pugwash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pugwash »

Pugwash wrote:my gut reaction is "hell yeah, release it" but what EXACTLY is 1.5 going to fix? is it going to stop all the pheeni wankas from running aol and dl pron while they play? Is it gonna stop invisible napalms and fusion? is it gonna half the number of secondaries in every map? is it gonna stop tank wankas from flying in levels whos tunnels are exactly the same size as triple fusion (removing any need for the "boring" task of aiming)?

Someone that worked for the company tells me the net code has NOT changed since 1.0 (or was it 1.1?). How is 1.5 going to help?
Wow! I was pissy earlier today.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

@ Goober: No offense, but are you playing D3? Are you reading the chat? We had PLENTY new players since the death of PXO.
I didn't say there were no new players, I said all new players had to be playing this game because of word of mouth. I.e. I tell a friend to get this game. And because of that the argument that "newbies wouldn't know how to find 1.5" is null, since they allready have to be told by someone where to find chat and the servers as-is.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

Gooberman wrote:And because of that the argument that "newbies wouldn't know how to find 1.5" is null, since they allready have to be told by someone where to find chat and the servers as-is.
ah okay. but i agree only 50% as he Whilelabel versions (D3+Merc+patch/manuaal cd) and the dual-jewel packs are containing at least a 1.4 Patch... whatever but I agree that this is not the point to argue about...
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

Lets evolve people... Lets not sit here and do nothing as usuall. I think many oldtimers would come back and play just out of curiosity if the patch were released. maybe the effects would be long lasting but I would bet that within twoo weeks of the patch being released there would be twice as many people playing...
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

I wonder why this board supports this EULA Conflict while locking the topic of Suncho's 1.4 in the first line. Did anyone read the terms of licence for the beta-version-release of that patch? I don't think so.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

First words to enter my head after spotting this topic:

"Not another bloody 1.5 rant.."
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Do_Checkor wrote:I wonder why this board supports this EULA Conflict while locking the topic of Suncho's 1.4 in the first line. Did anyone read the terms of licence for the beta-version-release of that patch? I don't think so.
Actually, suncho's is stickied.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Do_Checkor wrote:I wonder why this board supports this EULA Conflict while locking the topic of Suncho's 1.4 in the first line. Did anyone read the terms of licence for the beta-version-release of that patch? I don't think so.
As much as I see the arguments for releasing it. I was a little surprised that Ferno went ahead and allowed it, unless I have completly missed something.

I try not to step on his toes and vice/versa so that is why I havnt taken it down. But was it ever ok'ed for release? (Suncho's was)
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Um, Suncho's 1.4 patch was permitted by the higher up.
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

Maybe I am mistaken, but I thought kevin was given permission to develope and release this patch. Is this not the case?
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

He gave permission to release Suncho's patch, not 1.5, as far as I know. I may be wrong.
iten
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by iten »

Yes, but the issue at hand here is that Kevin didn't release it (unless Stress's name is indeed Kevin, in which case, pardon).
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

heheh well I know nothing about this suncho patch you speak of, nor do I know who the "he" is that gave permision for said patch.

I would like someone who knows Kevin to convince him to release it to us. It is obvious that he is either in over his head from a coding perspective, a time perspective or some of both. I don't want to hear about just having a baby because we all have busy lives, at least I do. Either he can do it or he can't. He has been afk for how long?. That is crap, no notes, no hello's, no sorry I have been really busy. I we have is the same silence that the "makers" gave us all this time. No offence to Kevin, but the right thing for him to do would be to contact the community in light of all the promises he initialy pledged.

Maybe ha can't get it done, and that is fine because he is all on his own. That said, I know of a few talented programmers that offered help and received no responce from him. So I would like to know if he is or is not going to finish this, and what is his timetable on the project? What are the known stumbling blocks.

Beyond any constructive move forward I would have to say that we are headed no where and completely kept in the dark about that fact. If Kevin can't get it done maybe he can release it to the community who maybe could set up somoe sort of cvs for it and work together on some sort of release. Further more if Kevin was able to get permission perhaps if right people were tole we are completely stalled out again someone else could get permission as well.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

Gooberman wrote:As much as I see the arguments for releasing it. I was a little surprised that Ferno went ahead and allowed it, unless I have completly missed something.

I try not to step on his toes and vice/versa so that is why I havnt taken it down. But was it ever ok'ed for release? (Suncho's was)
Please step on his shoes, feet, balls or whatever :D

Ferno? C'mon fella - this isn't okay.

Pro of 1.5: Fix some bugs we had for already 3-4 years

Con for 1.5: Illegal, and splitting players and maybe community into a

"I won't take a illegal or inofficial 1.5 patch" / "I won't take a patch wich splitts off my mac/unix- fellas" / Mac-Users / Linux-Users and on the other side the "I don't care of the MAClers and Linuxers nor legal".

I mean: This is the worst case scenario but what do you think will happen then? It might kill D3Online because each group will see: Oh very few players here, bybye. Do you really think that many players will come back because of somebody released an inofficial patch?? LOL. There are seldom more than 30 people playing at the same time worldwide. This might bring some peeps back but on the other side the linuxers and maclers might think "what a bunch of )&%)&% is that who is segregating us?" and might leave.

So WTF?

@Goob: Nice to read that you at least seem to see the right point.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

On average, how many people play D3? Maybe 20-30 at most at once given time. If we put a message int eh IRC channel, in KALI MOTD and on the DBB and PD about the 1.5, we wouldn't alienate anyone cept for the few that use MAC or Linux. We can't please everyone. The majority of players are on the windows platform and I beleive we should bring out the 1.5 and just go for it.

The 1.5 has been available for years. We've been led to believe that we would get it. We've been lied to to many times. No one who had anything to do with D3 wants to keep plugging away at it.

Why do you think we haven't heard from kevin? I know he had a kid but it tkes 5 minutes to post something here.

I say roll it out and fack 1.4. I'll be converting my install to 1.5 later this week. Cya in the mines.
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

Ok. Good I am going to "convert my install" too as per Stress's post, but I asked a few questions in his thread. I just got my 1.4 running pretty well, I don't want to mess it up and not be able to 1.5 either.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Make a copy of your D3 folder and install 1.5 to it. Dont' need any registry settings for D3 to run.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Merlin, PD does not support this release, we will not host the patch, and we will not announce it in the news. It seems that at least some of us still know the difference between right and wrong. :roll: C'mon, people. You know this isn't right. The community does not and has not needed this patch; we were doing just fine without it. Now, we've got division and anger. I, for one, am not going to use this patch, and I'm going to encourage any new players I see likewise.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I'll fly both, but unless we get some servers that aren't in BUMFUDGE EGYPT (aka washington state) I'ma be playing more 1.4 than 1.5 :)
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

Top Gun wrote:Merlin, PD does not support this release, we will not host the patch, and we will not announce it in the news. It seems that at least some of us still know the difference between right and wrong. :roll: C'mon, people. You know this isn't right. The community does not and has not needed this patch; we were doing just fine without it. Now, we've got division and anger. I, for one, am not going to use this patch, and I'm going to encourage any new players I see likewise.
Well If you decide not to report the news because you don't agree with it then that is your choice. I don't blame you for wanting to encourage players to stick with 1.4 becuase that is your opinion, but not report it? I know it is only your site but as far as Descent goes you represent the media. Use your power and influence how you see fit. Either you have a news section or a glorified editorial section. You have a choice to make.

I am going to install this over my break from school and Lord willing host it as well. bye bye 1.4 . We need to move forward from here and get the source so we can port this puppy out!
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

You don't understand Nightmare. PD can't support it. DBB can't support it. It's not that we don't want too.

I don't care about splitting the community, I don't care about it being released. Hell if everyone is playing on 1.5, so will I!

I care that the DBB is promoting its release. The thread that contained the 1.5 patch info has been moved to the VIP lounge (only viewable by mods). Xciter can move it back here if he approves it.
Scratch
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Scratch »

WarAdvocat wrote:I'll fly both, but unless we get some servers that aren't in BUMFUDGE EGYPT (aka washington state) I'ma be playing more 1.4 than 1.5 :)
BAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!
iten
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by iten »

We need to move forward from here and get the source so we can port this puppy out!
Agreed. I'd be willing to spend a great deal of my time working on a D3X. Imagine what the speed of development would be if we had that sort of thing. But the problem is that developers (mostly publishers, actually) today are very unwilling to release their source for unknown reasons.
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

Nightmare USA wrote:I don't blame you for wanting to encourage players to stick with 1.4 becuase that is your opinion, but not report it?
PlanetDescent, as part of the GameSpy network, may have more legal concerns than you.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

iten wrote:the problem is that developers (mostly publishers, actually) today are very unwilling to release their source for unknown reasons.

[cough]copyrightsinfringementsinsourcecode[/cough]
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Ok, taking this in another direction- isn't the company that owns the rights to the patch either dead or hanging by a thread? Doesn't the patch become open domain once (I assume interplay) goes under? (didn't they a couple months ago?)

I'm not into copyright infringement, but I was of the understanding that the patch was essentially open domain by now. Finally, if the company is still in existance, has anyone contacted and requested permission to release the patch? I mean, it seems to me that it would really be a "who cares" sort of deal for them- the game is anchient- they don't have to even pretend to support the patch, just give the community permission to "unofficially" release it.
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

Thanks Merlin.

Oh wait, I see that Stress' post is gone now! Shiat! Lucky for me I downloaded the patch first.

Ok you copyright infringement guys, do you have a concrete reason to fear legal action if we patch the game ourselves? Has someone written to you and said they would? Or do we fear this:

To whom it may concern:

Remember that great game Descent? Did you know that even though you don't give a crap about the game and the players, you could sue the few committed souls that are left because they have made a patch? Well here's their names and addresses if you need them. BTW can I have a job with your console game develpment team?

:)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Top Gun wrote:... The community does not and has not needed this patch; we were doing just fine without it.
You're wrong. The things that this patch fixes are things that we've had to put up with (maybe sometimes without thinking about it) for a long time. Omega is a welcomed addition to my arsenal in v1.5, because it works the same for everyone (i.e. it is no longer effected by framerate). The demo system is better: it works, ships retain their colors so you know who's who, and it displays custom textures correctly. Having this stuff work is great, it's a breath of fresh air.

It's unfortunate that there seems to be legal/moral issues surrounding its release.

I've got both 1.4 and 1.5 on my computer now, but whenever I can I'm going to use 1.5.