1.5?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Morally I have no problem releasing this patch. But it is a clear violation of DBB policy.

If Xciter moves the thread back here it will be more then welcome. But as far as I know, we just don't have permission to release it.
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

Et tu,Goob? Damn! Everybody around here is turning into such a bunch of hard a$$es!
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Goob: remember what happened after I closed the nocd patch thread?
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

Gooberman wrote:You don't understand Nightmare. PD can't support it. DBB can't support it. It's not that we don't want too.

I don't care about splitting the community, I don't care about it being released. Hell if everyone is playing on 1.5, so will I!

I care that the DBB is promoting its release. The thread that contained the 1.5 patch info has been moved to the VIP lounge (only viewable by mods). Xciter can move it back here if he approves it.

Yeah I know what you mean. I know they can't support it unless we get some communication form the owners of the patch. I was trying to draw a line between support and news, because reporting the news does not mean that you either do or don't support something. It is simply news of the Leak.

I however would have to think long and hard about the ramifications of the situation if I ran PD, and would definately make sure they would not crack back on me.
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

Ferno wrote:Goob: remember what happened after I closed the nocd patch thread?
I don't, what happened?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

it was reopened, thereby sending a precident that things like that were okay.
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

snoopy wrote:Ok, taking this in another direction- isn't the company that owns the rights to the patch either dead or hanging by a thread? Doesn't the patch become open domain once (I assume interplay) goes under? (didn't they a couple months ago?)
The copyright of the code was owned by Outrage, not Interplay. IANAL but I believe that since Kevin needed (and got) permission from someone (Matt Toschlog?) to develop and release patches for the game (this release has not been authorized by him), that someone nowadays owns the copyright or at least somehow holds the ropes regarding it.

Even if no individual owns the copyright, someone who got rights to whatever was left when the company dissolved would own the copyright.

Someone owns it. It's not public domain.
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

Ferno wrote:it was reopened, thereby sending a precident that things like that were okay.
Xciter wrote in said thread:
Xciter wrote:It looks like Kevin Bentley and Matt Toschlog are ok with this patch being released as is... if so it's ok with me.

Thread reopened.
Whatever that means, I don't suppose anyone has got an 'ok' sign for this patch from the aforementioned people.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Goob: remember what happened after I closed the nocd patch thread?
Xciter said he had permission from Matt and Kevin: if they sign off on this patch as well then I would welcome it back here. They did on Sunchos, they didn't on 1.5. That is the difference.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

And the circle closes -- looks like only Kevin & Matt have the "power" to sanction patches. Since obviousely nobody can reach them we are just SOOL.
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

Ironically, those who would clearly benefit from the patch most are Mac and Linux users, as well as anyone who wants to run a server on Linux.

Plus of course people who want to play on such servers.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Ferno wrote:Goob: remember what happened after I closed the nocd patch thread?
I always thought that was released or approved by the Descent Developers :?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Gooberman wrote:Xciter said he had permission from Matt and Kevin
That's my point.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Nightmare USA wrote:I however would have to think long and hard about the ramifications of the situation if I ran PD, and would definately make sure they would not crack back on me.
In at least my opinion, even mentioning an illegal distribution of software in the news would be tantamount to supporting it. It would be the same as if someone had hosted ISO images of the D3 disks and I linked to them from the front page. From where I stand, Gamespy would not approve of any such mention. At any rate, the discussion is moot, as Thunderbird has made it crystal clear that PD is neither going to report on or support the 1.5 patch.
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

I don't currently support this patch either, but mainly because I use and run Linux. I however have a separate machine to run Win32, but none the less, I will not leave my Linux brethren behind.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Do_Checkor wrote:Getting a illegal 1.5 Patch out doesn't seem to be smart to me. This will part the community more and might kill D3 completely...
Trust me, if the death of PXO couldn't kill D3, nothing can. As long as there are people who want to play D3 with others there will always be a way to play it. Change is good sometimes.

The only thing that will kill D3 is if everybody just stopped playing. Has that happend? newp, so quitcherbitchin ;)
Top Gun wrote:In at least my opinion, even mentioning an illegal distribution of software in the news would be tantamount to supporting it. It would be the same as if someone had hosted ISO images of the D3 disks and I linked to them from the front page.
Did you read this over when you wrote it? :P It is possible to write a story about a release of something without providing a link to the very thing being released. To report that it has happend and to link to the mentioned item are two different things. Take your example for instance...writing a story that someone had made and hosted ISO images of the D3 disks without linking to them would not be supporting piracy. It would merely report the news, but as far as PD goes would n't be worth the effort since it doesn't benefit PD anyways. If you linked to it however, it would support piracy, but they are not the same thing.

Regardless of my feelings towards D3, I think the community is owed atleast this much if not more. It would have been nice getting the full 1.5 patch sometime this year as it appeared would happen. I mean, we're talking about a patch that is three years overdue. This is a good move IMO and one that isn't going to shatter the fabric of whats left of the D3 community anyways.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I still hold that either case still comes out as the person actually condoning the release of the ISO/patch. Thunderbird seems to agree with me, at least for the time being, and so that's where the matter ends. As for dividing the community, releasing a patch that automatically cuts off the users of two operating systems, no matter how small those groups are, constitutes an automatic division. I haven't looked at the server list in the past few days, but if I see that 90% of the servers have switched to 1.5, there will be hell to pay from someone. :P I can't change your minds, but I personally will not use any version of the 1.5 patch that is not cross-platform compatible and approved by Kevin Bentley.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Top Gun wrote:I haven't looked at the server list in the past few days, but if I see that 90% of the servers have switched to 1.5, there will be hell to pay from someone. :P
Won't happen -- right now we got 2 ops offering 1.5 servers. If we get 4 we'd be lucky..