Piano and keyboards

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Piano and keyboards

Post by Clayman »

I'm curious how many piano and keyboard players we have here, and various specs about them.

For me, I've been playing 9 years, have a Kurzweil PC-88 MX, and though I play several other instruments, I consider keyboards my main instrument currently. Favorite players include:

Rock: Jordan Rudess, Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson, Derek Sherinian, Kevin Moore, Jon Lord, Michael Pinella, Janne Warmen, Jon Oliva, Jens Johansson, John Lawry, Tony MacAlpine, Mike Keneally, John Slick, Mark Gershmehl, Pete Lomakin, Sam Scott, Josef Wooten

Jazz/fusion: Chick Corea, Bill Evans, McCoy Tyner, Bud Powell, Thelonious Monk, Tommy Flanagan, Earl Hines, Art Tatum, Red Garland, Lennie Tristano, Jan Hammer, Herbie Hancock, Vince Guaraldi, Oscar Peterson, Patrice Rushen, Brian Auger, John Novello
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Aye, fellow pianist :D

I've been playing for 12 years, albeit not as intesively back then as I do now.

I own two pianos, an acoustic upright Yamaha (my pride and joy), and a Korg digital stage piano. Needless to say that I come from acoustic roots, and as such I can't do much with anything that has less than a full-length 88 weighed keys assembly. Also, compared with the Korg, the Yamaha is vastly superior, electronics are not close to matching the vibe of a resonating acoustic piano. I enjoy the Korg at gigs and playing other instrument banks, such as vibes, organs or electronic pianos; but I play the Yamaha most of the time... It cost a fortune but was worth every cent of it!

I play Jazz, Blues, BoogieWoogie and anything in between. I can entertain a Rock-n-Roll dancefloor (that is, if I shut up and don't start singing :P) and love to jam with a band.

I've got an electric guitar and have been messing around with a bass guitar, but to me the keys are the principal instrument as well.

I can't believe you missed Keith Jarrett in your list of pianists!
In the world of Blues I like Memphis Slim and Pinetop Perkins at the piano, not to forget Jimmy Smith at the Hammond Organ!
In the world of Jazz there's of course Dave Brubeck.
I know a bunch of contemporary BoogieWoogie piansist who are really hot players, but they aren't exactly famous due to the genre not being that popular :)
Bess
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bess »

I am a Classist and have a Yamaha G1. I have been playing since I was 8.. an awful long time ago.. and teach Piano as my profession.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I never did follow through on piano lessons. It's something I've regretted for years. Somewhere along the path I think I missed my calling...music.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Yamaha PSR-275
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Roland ep9.

Old? Hell yes.

Functional? You bet.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Is it easier to write songs on the keyboard than on the guitar? I know this is another topic but i thought the present one may peter out quite quickly. I've heard pro's and con's from all sides but can't really give an opinion since i'm just a guitar player.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I've heard that learning the piano usually leads to being able to better understand and play multiple instruments.

Most musicians either write songs using guitar or piano/keyboard. It's just a matter of what you're most tuned to (no pun intended). Also depends on what type of music you're writing I guess.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

i'm kind of a hack piano player... i can write with it... even play my songs at an acceptable level of performance.

as far as writing goes... songs i write with a piano tend to be more complex than what i write with guitar.... but since i can play the guitar in a coma the songs come out a bit more organic.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

can't believe you missed Keith Jarrett in your list of pianists!
I know who he is, but I unfortunately haven't really heard any of his work yet. Is there a particular album you recommend?
In the world of Jazz there's of course Dave Brubeck.
He's good too, but doesn't quite make my favorites list yet.
Is it easier to write songs on the keyboard than on the guitar?
I'm much better at building chords and playing melodies on piano, so I'd say it takes the cake. For riffs I'd say they're about equal. I think it partially depends on your skill level, though I know there are a fair number of artists who play on their main instrument, but write on piano. So I'd say the industry standard is piano.
I've heard that learning the piano usually leads to being able to better understand and play multiple instruments.
That's my hope actually. ;) I also play guitar, bass, saxophone, harmonica, recorder, vocals, and plan to pick up flute and drums when I get more cash. I think picking them up is much easier for me because I understand how instruments work in general, and have a solid musical theory background.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Funny. I can fingerpick my 12 string pretty well, but when it comes to telling my left hand to do somthing different than my right on a keyboard i'm all over the place. Maybe i just need more time.

Copsy, you learn't musical theory or you just picked it up?
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

IMO writing songs on the guitar is easier for me. I think because I started playing the guitar before the piano.

Personally, I don't write many songs in standard EADGBe tuning mostly to try and stay away from the same guitar sound that so many musicians have. Not to say that a good 'ol G-A-D chord progression can't be great with a unique melody line.

Hmm, I love talking music.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

ya, i took a lot of basic theory. i was also obsessed waaaayyy beyond any descent addiction i've had in my life. a series of girlfriends that were trained classical pianists along with having a best friend who is the most amazing self-taught piano player i've seen... kinda picked up some things.

now that i've downshifted to "serious hobbyist" as a musician my chops all around have taken a hit... but when i need to get the drawers i can still pull a rabbit out of my hat.
:P
Phaser
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Phaser »

I'm currently learing how to play the keyboard... I'm learning"My Immortal" by Evanescence!!! :D
I am a begginer though... I also havee an electric Guitar..
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

(i play guitar)
our upright piano says "Roland" on it. i don't really know howto play or read music on a piano too well, i play simple radiohead, coldplay, and cute mario brothers tunes. oh and when in the mood i bang around and it sounds like music, crazy & demented music (jazz? :lol:). when i'm doing this i really like how the piano captures my mood, even though i don't really know howto play it, it captures my mood so much easier than my guitar (which i've been playing for 6+ years now) does. i can smack my head on the piano and it makes understanding noises, while the guitar just tries with vigour to rip my eyes out with broken strings, and it goes "MNEEEEEEEEEEH!!!@@ MNAAAARARRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrg!!!!" these are not good sounds, i much prefer hitting my head on the piano.

you know what it is? i think it's that a piano is much more forgiving to lack of musical theory knowledge. guitars arn't as forgiving.

i'd say piano, as little and horribly as i play it, it has been giving me a better understanding of music theorys which translate a little to my guitar playing.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

you know what it is? i think it's that a piano is much more forgiving to lack of musical theory knowledge. guitars arn't as forgiving.
Hmm, I think you can look at that both ways. For piano, unless you have significant musical knowledge and/or playing ability, you won't be able to get away with fooling anyone who has intermediate or greater skills on keyboard. On the other hand, with guitar a great many bands get along just fine with mostly just power chords and pentatonic scales.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

roid wrote:you know what it is? i think it's that a piano is much more forgiving to lack of musical theory knowledge. guitars arn't as forgiving.
i disagree.
generations of famous rock songs were written by people who had little to no music theory skillz. piano is so logically laid out, you have access to the full range of tones arranging is a lot more intuitive. it's just the fingering that holds me back...

:P
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

It doesn't matter what instrument you play, you need practice to get somewhere. Same as with everything.

I play mostly for my own entertainment; I'm not exactly ambitious to get somewhere. Which is why I have a slow learning curve :)

Personally, it's not the fingerwork that's holding me back. It's the inability to read sheet music (notes are okay -- it's the rhythm I can't distill from the sheet) and the laziness to explore other genres. I know my hands can handle much more than what my brains are currently capable of feeding them :D
Kd527
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kd527 »

I've been playing 9 years. I've got a 100 year-old (been in the family that long too) "Cabinet Grand" (basically a huge antique upright with ivory keys) and a wonderful Technics SX-PR600 (sounds very realistic). I play for Church.
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

I can play the pentatonic scale on keyboard. :D
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

it's accepted that fingering is harder on the guitar than the piano yes? or am i a freak
Vertigo
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo »

Try fingering on a violin :P

...nof if only i could muster myself to pick it up again once in a while....
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

roid wrote:it's accepted that fingering is harder on the guitar than the piano yes? or am i a freak
Depends on what you're playing. At high speeds, both have scales and patterns that are murder on your fingers.