DESCENT 2 HELP

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

offsetmetaledge
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

DESCENT 2 HELP

Post by offsetmetaledge »

hi,

i am trying to play descent 2 on my DOS machine, but there is a horrible problem. setup seems to detect my sound card fine, and the samples play, too. but whenever i try to execute the program, it freezes before the opening cutscene. just a blank screen, and i have to turn the computer off. when i disable sound effects in setup, it works fine, just without sound(which sucks). any advice will help as i have had this problem for a long time and have never been able to fix it. here are my specs:

AMD K6-2 300 mhz processor
96mb ram
sound blaster vibra 16 ISA sound card
running MS-DOS 6.22
conventional DOS memory free: 672k

thanks,
andrew
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Why not just slap Win98se on there? or even Win95?

Anyways, try disabling your sound card and see if the game runs (I know the test worked, just try it though). If it does then it might have something to do with changing the cards playback to something other then 16bit.

Other then that, it should play just fine...
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

Perhaps there's a DMA or IRQ conflict in the system? Check to make sure your sound card is the only thing using the DMA and IRQ it's been assigned. Newer systems don't have issues with this, but older systems do.
offsetmetaledge
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

yes i tried disabling sound in setup, and the game runs. i even have redbook music working. i have also tried disabling music with sound effects on.but no matter what sound card combination i use, 8-bit or 16-bit, different irqs..etc..D2 will not start.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

D2 might not like that particular soundcard at all. If that is the case you're SOL unless you used another soundcard that does work.

I remember D2 being extremely picky about certain things on my first box. Like, I couldn't get sound playback if I had it auto-detect my settings and pick what my soundcard actually was when I first got D2. I had to specify that it was a Soundblaster Pro or something along those lines of the soundblaster selections and it would work. Even though my card wasn't an SB. Go figure :P
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Or you could install Win 9x and use the DirectX version of Descent 2...
offsetmetaledge
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

yeah tyranny i already swapped out my sound card. i used to have an integrated crystal card, which i had to configure as a sound blaster pro. again, the sound worked in setup, but executing D2 failed. im beginning to think there is no solution to this problem at all.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I wish I could help more. This is kind of similar to a problem I had on my old box. My D2 didn't crash though, it would play with no sound even though sound played in the setup just fine.

Played primarily D1 for almost a year because of that. Somehow got the problem solved but it's been maybe 7 years or so...Can't remember how :/
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

edit: double post