Magnets (are yay)

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Magnets (are yay)

Post by roid »

http://www.gaussboys.com/product_info.p ... ucts_id=71

the thought of the moment, is how do you even post something like this in teh mail. would not the package stick to other packages (that'd be kindof funny and creepy)

the thing is as wide as the palm of my hand and it can lift 181 KIL0GRAMS!! that's almost 3 times my weight.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

I've got a couple of them already, not that size, or else I wouldn't be posting :P
I'm going for these next http://www.gaussboys.com/product_info.p ... ucts_id=63
:)
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Yeah - Rare Earth magnets are spooky.

I have seen a guy lift 50 KG with a magnet the size of a pea. I believe they have numerous commercial uses when the amounts being used are in the microgram range.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Awesome.

In our physics class my teacher had kind of a rope swing hooked up by a Neodynium (sp?) magnet and an electromagnet. I don't know how you can have both at once, but apparently they can both be in the same magnet. Run an electric current through the neodynium, and it gets stronger. It would be awfully scary to get on that thing just trusing the magnet, but there were times when three of us tried to pull it down and couldn't do it.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Magnetic suspension anyone?
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

The density of the magnetic field drops quickly with increasing distance.

I've got a couple of woofer magnets I pulled from large loudspeakers, I think they can lift more than 20kg because once stuck on a metal surface, the only way to pry it loose is to slide it (scratching galore) off..

Too bad magnets are very sensitive to shocks. Dropping them may break them or diminish their field (or in some cases, even reverse the field!)
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I cant wait until mag-rail trains are deployed all over and we can do mach-1 on the ground.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Man that magnet would rip your keys outta your pocket if ya got close enough.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

The Chinese already have a MagLev train in service, or so I've heard.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I want one!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

WARNING:: This magnet can cause serious bodily injury. Only for seriously seasoned magnet handlers

Um.. why?

Obivously I'm NOT an experienced magnet handler.. :roll:
Boo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Boo »

I would think some pretty serious damage would be inflicted on your fingers if they were between the magnet and whatever you were picking up, hence the warning.
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

Duper wrote:
WARNING:: This magnet can cause serious bodily injury. Only for seriously seasoned magnet handlers

Um.. why?

The website mentioned something about the magnets being fragile and that when they break the fragments can be quite sharp.

Plus, I suppose the stronger magnets could squash your hand against a piece of metal.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Put one of those magnets on the opposite side of your torso with a metal plate. Then you'll see what they mean.

On second thought, I'd probably get sued--you'd better not. :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Duper wrote:

Um.. why?

Think about a magnet that is small enough to fit in your hand, but strong enough to hold AceCombat in the air... then think about what would happen if AceCombat stood on your hand.

*crunch*
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

I am so totally e-mailing this to my physics teacher right now. :D
Stryker wrote:Put one of those magnets on the opposite side of your torso with a metal plate. Then you'll see what they mean.

On second thought, I'd probably get sued--you'd better not. :P
400lbs of force? You might get a little more than just a lawsuit.. ;)
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

The first possible injury that came to mind was dislocating joints (heehee, I'm going to pick up 40kg by wving this magnet! *jerk* *pop*). From there the list grows, both in length and pain.

That being said there's a lot of fun stuff one could do with one of those.
ouch
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ouch »

Well imagine you order the big guy. UPS oughta have fun prying it off their fleet.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Good point--it'd have to be inside a magnetically shielded case, or else the UPS wouldn't be able to pull the thing out of their metal truck. Even if they did, who's gonna be carrying that thing trying to get back to the metal truck side with 400 pounds of force? Godzilla? :P
Bigman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bigman »

I have a lot of magnets and ones like this hold really strong when they are against metal, but when they get around three or four inches away from metal or a little bit further away from another magnet, they don't have enough strength to lift themselves. So a few inches of padding is enough to keep it from sticking to the UPS truck.

Usually when ordering several magnets, they put them side by side which does a great job of containing the magnetic field to a much smaller area, so less padding is required.

I bet they still would affect anything that is sensitive to magnetic fields nearby. One of these magnets can cause the picture on your monitor to wiggle from 3 or 4 feet away.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Here's my question: your have a little iron in your blood stream, right? have they come up with a magnet big enough that if you get too close to you it can kill yourself by ripping all of the iron out of body? (or do iron ions not have the same magnetic properties- I don't remember, and I don't know if the iron in your body is all in the form of ions, though I assume that it is.)
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

A big enough - magnet could probably rip the iron out of your body (which would be pretty much like getting zapped with too much xray) but a much smaller feild would stop your heart.
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

First of all, you cannot affect the iron in your blood because of the molecular state that it is in, namely oxidized. Iron Oxide, also known as rust, isn't affected by magnetism.

Second, the reason they give strict warnings to using this magnet is because the power is so intense that if it gets close enough to ferrous metal or another magnet, it can slam together with enough force to crush your fingers.
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

My Physics teacher got all excited about it during class today. To be honest, I think that's the most excited I've seen her about anything all year. ;)

It is one kickass magnet though you gotta admit. :P
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Lobber wrote:First of all, you cannot affect the iron in your blood because of the molecular state that it is in, namely oxidized. Iron Oxide, also known as rust, isn't affected by magnetism.
So you mean that great scene in X-2 with Magneto wasn't physically possible? Damn! :P
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

What Magneto does is known as "Speculative Fiction."

You'll notice he is able to affect all metals, ferrous or not.

In reality, no human's blood could be affected by magnetism.
Bigman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bigman »

Top Gun wrote:So you mean that great scene in X-2 with Magneto wasn't physically possible? Damn! :P
In the movie they injected iron into his system so he could pull it out, it wasn't his blood that he pulled it out from.

If anything if you put a really strong magnetic field over your body, it will be pushed away because the water in your body is slightly diamagnetic. A magnetic field that strong couldn't be created by a fixed magnet.

I've been able to push an ice cube around that was dangling from a long thread with a magnetic field.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

That might be the iron in the water.

Try it with deionized water made in plastic.
Bigman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bigman »

If there was some iron in the ice cube that could be affected by the magnetic field, it would be pulled towards it, not be pushed away. It's well documented that water is slightly diamagnetic.
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

<austrailian accent>That's not a magnet.. this is a magnet!</austrailian accent>

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap041126.html

"A magnet this strong, located at about half the distance to the Moon would easily erase your credit cards and suck pens out of your pocket. In 1998, from a distance of about 20,000 light-years, one magnetar, SGR 1900+14 generated a powerful flash of gamma-rays detected by many spacecraft. That blast of high-energy radiation is now known to have had a measurable effect on Earth's ionosphere."
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

ROFL! Now thats a magnet.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Bigman wrote:
Top Gun wrote:So you mean that great scene in X-2 with Magneto wasn't physically possible? Damn! :P
In the movie they injected iron into his system so he could pull it out, it wasn't his blood that he pulled it out from.
Oh, that's right. My sci-fi dreams remain unspoiled. :P
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

How can a neutron star have magnetic poles? I thought that all of the positive and negative charges had been destroyed in a neutron star.
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

A neutron star's magnetic field is not caused by an iron core like that of Earth's magnetic field, but rather is a product of the extreme high temperature of the star stripping its atoms of their electrons. The motion of the electric field of these subatomic particles produces the magnetic field we observe.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/ma ... .As.r.html