kquery vs vortex

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Use kquery to begin with. The website thing blows :P
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

better yet, use both.

Some games don't show on kquery.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

I'd recommend Vortex from www.slyclan.de as it is optimized for D3 and includes direct mission- and mod-downloading and the 3 D3 Chats are included by default.

In the next version it will include a commandline entry selector and a logo / taunt cleaner and will get the trackerlist by gamespy AND descent.cx and many more enhancements...
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Oh about vortex, were boycotting it till it shows all the servers 1.5 included. <eg>
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

STRESSTEST wrote:Oh about vortex, were boycotting it till it shows all the servers 1.5 included. <eg>
Some of us don't care about 1.5 servers, so it works fine. Plus, Skorpion went out of his way to make the program, so you could at least show some gratitude.

Besides, you should be using Kali. It beats KQuery any day of the week. :)
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Top Gun wrote:Besides, you should be using Kali. It beats KQuery any day of the week. :)
That I agree on :)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Top Gun wrote:Besides, you should be using Kali. It beats KQuery any day of the week. :)
Nope -- been there, done that. Kquery it is :P
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Top Gun wrote: Skorpion went out of his way to make the program, so you could at least show some gratitude.
Why in the hell would I show gratitude to something I have never used and most likely never will?

Grendel wrote:
Nope -- been there, done that. Kquery it is :P
x2
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Me, I'm a game tracker geek

I use all of the above :)

Oh, and Testi's d3 alias

and d3ip too :p
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

...and people said the loss of PXO wouldn't split the D3 player community. :roll:
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

The loss of PXO didn't split the community. People do that.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Do_Checkor wrote:
STRESSTEST wrote:Oh about vortex, were boycotting it till it shows all the servers 1.5 included. <eg>
we are boykotting 1.5 as long as it is inofficial / illegal and not aviable for linuxers and maclers. oh and: you boykott Vortex? LMAO. Do you think we want 1.5 players use this tool? Hahaha... Dreamer ;)
Yea, I've been reading that thing you call a community BB over there in Germany, Checkor. That's the very reason I used the word boycotting, since I see you talk about that all the time on your BB. Have fun over there.

Funny how you support the Pyromania though. Seems like you are corruptable after allâ?¦. With that thick code of ethics you would like the rest of the community to believe you haveâ?¦ :roll:

Tyranny wrote:The loss of PXO didn't split the community. People do that.
Agreed
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Do_Checkor wrote:we are boykotting 1.5 as long as it is inofficial / illegal and not aviable for linuxers and maclers. oh and: you boykott Vortex? LMAO. Do you think we want 1.5 players use this tool? Hahaha... Dreamer ;)
Well, since this post I was refering Vortex to newbies. In the future I'll do my best to get people not to use it because it tries to govern them.

Edit: Funny, last time I checked Vortex is not available to Mac/Linux users.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

I found me a button :)

lol

Actually, you guys over on the descentforum are the ones that used the word boycott first. Namely, Munk

http://descentforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2406

That would have been fine but you drug me, punisher and bunyip into that discussion in your last post. That is when I desided you and I were going to have a go :)

Hope you enjoy the view, you asked for it.
Do_Checkor wrote:
I support 1.5 Pyromania because as far as I know Kevin even helped S-Priest developing it AND you cannot use it standalone.
Again, your arguements are based on suspicions. You have never asked and recieved a reply from Kevin on the ligitimatacy of either Pyromania nor the 1.5 patch. You are wholey going on your minds eye and the way you see fit. If you were to make a stand on something with confirmation then this conversation would show you with all the credit. But since you are going on what you believe and no facts what so ever, you are just another chump waging a jihad in the name of making you and your so called morals feel better about your self.

Go get the facts from kevin, then come back to the debate table. Not that he'll reply to your email or anything, since he's in the habbit of not replying.

The fact of the matter is that the patch was done 3 years ago. promises after promises later, we still have nothing. Like it or not, you and everyone else that plays this game were abandoned. Deal with it. And go get the facts as I said. Jihads are gay, so are witch hunts.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

boycotting 1.5???

well that does it.
Bye bye vortex, Hello mIRC (again). :)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Revoked, since w/o above post the context is lost.

Edit2: note that the "above post" mentioned was completely deleted.

Edit: could we split that thread ? It's getting slightly OT.. ;)
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

You want to talk about wars now? Really?
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I can't for the life of me figure out what to split where.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

:lol:
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I hope my name doesn't come up any more.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

split because it was gumming up what jsoul was asking.
Pugwash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pugwash »

Ive tried Vortex on win98se win xp pro sp1 and win xp pro sp2. It has been unstable on all so I use kquery or descent.cx. Vortex seems like a good idea, has all the stuff you would want but it just never seems to work properly for me. Oh, and the default colors are fugly.

Id recommend trying them all and seeing which one YOU like best.
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

Grendel wrote:Edit: Funny, last time I checked Vortex is not available to Mac/Linux users.
No, but it's not incompatible with IRC clients that work on those systems.

Edit: quote fix
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

I use vortex. The only reason I downloaded 1.5 was to play og3. I didn't really play on 1.5 servers because there tended to be nobody in them. Then I found out og3 doesn't work with dedicated servers. So I messed around with og3 for awhile and later deleted all of it.

/shrug
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

FYI: As long as I, Germany, or Vortex get dragged in the mud and abused for propaganda by Stresstest here and I am called a "Jihad" I refuse to post in this board in the future. This CAN'T be.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

One of the great things about this game I think is the diversity of the players. One likes the Pyro, one likes the Magnum, one likes the MD, another likes the super laser, one likes the 1.5 patch one doesn't, one is from Germany, one is from the US. Theres something for everyone. IMO alienating anyone is just gonna make the game die a lot sooner and therefore its just plain stupid!
US_Paratrooper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by US_Paratrooper »

I use Kquery over Vortex, because vortex is PINK. Enough said. lol
US_Paratrooper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by US_Paratrooper »

deleted.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Do_Checkor wrote:FYI: As long as I, Germany, or Vortex get dragged in the mud and abused for propaganda by Stresstest here and I am called a "Jihad" I refuse to post in this board in the future. This CAN'T be.
Like my name was drug into the conversation on your dictatorship BB in Germany? Whatever. If you are going to take your ball and run home, then I feel it is your responsibility to inform the Admin here that you will no longer be performing your moderator duties here so that you can be replaced.

And nothing I have said was anything close to that comment you made about us and Vietnam. Not only was that a chickensht thing of you to do, but it was a very insulting thing to say about Americans in general.

Personally if that is the kind of person you are and the kind of crap that spews from your mouth when you get into a debate with others, then this place would be better off without you. Yes, I see you deleted it, or maybe one of the moderators, but plenty of us read it before that happened.

Most people around here can at least engage in a conversation/debate with some level of intelligence and respect while keeping a level head. This is demonstrated almost on a daily basis in the ethics forum. Something you evidently are incapable of. You saying that sort of thing here, or anywhere, is just bad form. Stop and think for just a moment how well received it would be for one of us to go to descentfurum and start pointing fingers at you guys for the Holocaust. It would be real bad, wouldn't it?

And about propaganda.. What have I said about the events on your BB, or the listing ability of Vortex, or the things YOU have said that are fictitious? There is no propaganda here whatsoever.

1) It is true that you have said these things that I accuse you of
2) It is true that you and the descentforum and it's majority of members are from Germany
3) It is true that Vortex dictates to it's users what can and cannot be played by it's obvious and intentional lack of support for ALL game servers listed.

If that is what you call propaganda, then you should go learn what the word means my friend.

-Stress
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

I want to add something to all of this.

I just finished talking to Skorpion. Maker of Vortex.

It seems that all the talk meant for us to believe that vortex didn't support 1.5 on purpose was all untrue.

The fact is that it couldn't because of some protocal changes from 1.4 to 1.5.

Talking with Skorpion has cleared this all up, so my sincerest appologies to him. I retract my comment about the "Dictation to it's users" I posted earlier.

The good news is that Skorpion has said that tomorrow he is releasing an official version that does support 1.5 in the release.

[4:27pm] <[8]STRESSTEST][> one point, when will you release a puplic official version that will allow users to see the 1.5 servers too?
[4:27pm] <Skorpion_Linux> tomorrow
[4:28pm] <[8]STRESSTEST][> you are saying that it's not that you didn't want it to see 1.5. But that it wasn't capable?
[4:29pm] <Skorpion_Linux> right
[4:29pm] <[8]STRESSTEST][> Ohhh
[4:29pm] <[8]STRESSTEST][> I am sorry then
[4:29pm] <Skorpion_Linux> the protocol changed from 1.4 to 1.5 like it did from 1.3 to 1.4
[4:29pm] <[8]STRESSTEST][> I understand what you are saying
[4:29pm] <[8]STRESSTEST][> ok
[4:29pm] <[8]STRESSTEST][> I retract my comments then
[4:30pm] <Skorpion_Linux> checkor didnt made vortex i did
[4:30pm] <[8]STRESSTEST][> Yes, I know
US_Paratrooper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by US_Paratrooper »

Hate mongering will not be tolerated.

I just want to add that if it was up to me, Paratrooper, I would have thrown you off this BB for what you said. There's no room for bigotry and racial slander here. Go hate somewhere else. -Pun
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

Now that ^ is an embarrassing post!
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Grendel wrote: Edit: Funny, last time I checked Vortex is not available to Mac/Linux users.
Gren, U are absolutely right on that, No offense Check. Seeing some support to the Mac/Unix community would be nice to see. I see that [NuB]iten has cooked up a possible app for Linux users, (good for you bud, keep it up), but Mac pilots are still left hanging/left behind in the progress of alternate means for playing D3 or Chat. I use Ircle for my Chat on my Mac, But as it has ben metioned b4, ip's have to be written down an man inputed to get into a game. If apps are to be made for the Mac, I have found that OS 9 is the OS to write for doing such a thing cuz D3 does better in 9 than 10.

Fus
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Genghis wrote:Now that ^ is an embarrassing post!
x2

Thanks, Fern and Goob for taking care of that. That was some pitiful stuff right there. Redneck bigotry at it's best.

Now, on the Kquery/Vortex thing, and all this 1.5 nonsense. I did see my name mentioned be checkor on his BB. However, since I cant read German, and Babelfish sucks, I dont know what he was saying.

What I do know is this. I've known Do_Checkor for a while now, talked to him over the voice chat a few times even, and what I do know of him is that he's always been a really laid back, friendly, really cool person. He's gone out of his way on several occasions to help me out when I needed it. I love the guy. On the other hand, I've known STRESSTEST ever since I came here in 2000. I can say the same things about him. Awesome, awesome guy, who will go out of his way to help a friend, or even a total stranger, for that matter. I love both of these guys.

Yes, I've been serving 1.5 games lately. I dont see anything wrong with it. If whomever holds the rights to the 1.5 patch asks me to desist, then I'll take down the 1.5 servers. In the meantime, I dont see what all teh hubbub is about.

Guys, this is a big misunderstanding that got blown out of proportion. Let's bury this and move on. Who really cares what tracker you use? Is it that big of a deal?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

thanks pun.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

STRESSTEST wrote:I just finished talking to Skorpion. Maker of Vortex.[..]
Nice! Back to refering Vortex to newbies :)
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

Fusion wrote:Gren, U are absolutely right on that
Like I said, the difference is that having a tool like Vortex for Windows doesn't take anything away from the users of the other systems. An incompatible version of the game does. Not writing a tool for all platforms isn't active splitting of the community.

Yes, this post is continuation to a full-fledged derail.
Seidhepriest
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Pyromania, Outrage and All That Jazz

Post by Seidhepriest »

Outrage has tested D3 1.5 with Pyromania, and they have played Pyromania...

Basically, they didn't care about anything strange such as "supporting Pyromania or not". It was another D3 mod, and technically, for them, Pyromania=Descent 3.

Also, yes, they did help with debugging Pyromania when bugs showed up.

So that's about it, and hopefully the end of the storm in the glass.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

proof?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Do you mean Outrage officially? Or do you mean what I think you mean: every so often fire of a question to Kevin Bentley and he'd come up with an answer. He's pulled through on multiple occasions for me. :)