TCP/IP with a mac?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

sirhan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

TCP/IP with a mac?

Post by sirhan »

hey all - i recently swtiched over to a mac, and after a while of not playing d3, i bought it again, this tiem for mac. since pxo is dead i looked around a bit and figured tcp/ip is teh way its done now, but the problem is kquery and the like are all window sonly clients. i cna use teh online d3 game tracker just fine, but then i have the problem of not havinga d3 launcher on the mac version, and no command line to tell my version to join a hosted game. so...what im asking is, how teh heck do i join IP games on a mac?

thanks!
Pugwash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pugwash »

write down the ip from http://d3.descent.cx/
start d3 select multiplayer then tcp
enter the ip and search for games at this addy

I think that should work.
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

In the worst case, pen-paper technology must be used.

I wonder if something like d3launch for Linux (discussed in another thread) would be possible on the Mac. It probably depends largely on the way Mac D3 stores its configuration.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Kalinx is Kali for Linux, MAX0sX is unix based. Might work.
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

If the source is available, maybe.

Edit: According to quick googling, it isn't.
sirhan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sirhan »

yeah...i tried that, bu evertime i click on TCP/IP game it enver gives me a dialog where i can enter the address. it just stays at teh pxo/ tcp/ip sleection screen. i'm using version 1.4, so i dont know what im doing wrong.
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

Don't know how Kali would help with D3 TCP/IP games (the linux stuff doesn't have the game master lists from what I remember).

Anyway, the source to xKali is available:

http://xkali.machin-shin.net/

http://xkali.machin-shin.net/files/xkali-src.tgz

Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

sirhan wrote:yeah...i tried that, bu evertime i click on TCP/IP game it enver gives me a dialog where i can enter the address. it just stays at teh pxo/ tcp/ip sleection screen. i'm using version 1.4, so i dont know what im doing wrong.
Question 1. Mac version 1.4.1? if not Go here and d/l it.
Question 2. What OS u flying under? Mac D3 runs best using OS 9. (Have 9.2.2 here) D3 Does not work as well in 10 under classic mode.
Question 3. Using a Joystick? Hope you have Input Sprockets enabled in extensions and control panels of Extensions manager. If not, go to Apple's website and get ver 1.7. I Use Open GL ver of D3 and not Glide. (ATI vid card on board)

All right, now start D3. Hit ESC or space twice to get out movie and splash screens. Select pilot. At main menu, go to Multiplayer.
At multi screen, there are 2 options, PXO or TCP-IP. Select TCP w/arrow keys so it is highlighted. Click the set as default button. Now click TCP.
When you get into the screen for manually inputing ip addies, click the box to enter ip, making sure you got the 4 digit port #. Mac D3 can't use the 5 digit port numbers listed in kquery. :( (example: SOD at Shiva- 207.236.55.11:2092)
Click the "Find Server at address, and server name and info should show up. Select game name, hit Join server at bottom of Screen, and assuming you have the level, bingo, your in the game. :D

Finally(part 1). Mac D3 1.4.1 I have found only plays 4 game modes that come default w/ the game; Co-op,CTF,Anarchy, TA,and MB. Only way to play other mods is to have the mod built into the level.(Visual mods like ship skins and other eye candy will work if installed in proper areas of D3 folder) Wanna do instareap. Get Reapthisdelta or Fusionreap. Only way to other game mods is if it got built into the level.
(part 2). Mac D3 has 2 caps going against you, PPS and FPS. PPS is always gonna be max at 7, and FPS at (for me) 62.5.

Fus
sirhan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sirhan »

im runnign it under classic...is there a way to isnall os 9 so i can boot into it, the real version, not the stripped down classic. ive been doing single player again for now, and it seems to work fine under classic.

and yes, version 1.4.1.

thanks for teh tips, i'll check it out now.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: TCP/IP with a mac?

Post by DCrazy »

sirhan wrote:hey all - i recently swtiched over to a mac
Mistake #1, especially if you want to play D3. Most of the community has switched over to the 1.5 patch now, which is only out for Windows.
sirhan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re: TCP/IP with a mac?

Post by sirhan »

DCrazy wrote:
sirhan wrote:hey all - i recently swtiched over to a mac
Mistake #1, especially if you want to play D3. Most of the community has switched over to the 1.5 patch now, which is only out for Windows.
hey - i didnt swithc over to a mac TO PLAY descent 3. i switched over because macs are, imho, much better than pcs. but i saw that one of my favorite games was out for mac, so i thought i'd give it a whirl. hey, it was cheap. now i just want to get it to work, if it all possible. and if getting 1.5 is the only way to do so, then oh well, i'll resign myself to no mp d3. but i still love my mac:)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

If you've got a little spare cash, it's not all that hard to find a cheap secondhand PC for like $100 that will actually run D3 these days. Might need a few upgrades, but anyway.

On the other hand, no, missing out on D3 MP isn't the end of the world either...
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

sirhan wrote:im runnign it under classic...is there a way to isnall os 9 so i can boot into it, the real version, not the stripped down classic. ive been doing single player again for now, and it seems to work fine under classic.
Getting OS 9.0? not sure if you can still by it from apple or not. Alternate locations? uncertain. You might still be able to get the updates to get to to 9.2.2 tho at Apple's site

Fus
WhollyCow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WhollyCow »

If the mac is relatively new, you won't be able to boot into OS9. "Relatively new" in this context means new within the past year and a half, roughly. What machine is it, exactly?

D3 can be played in classic mode, but it's finicky and painful. When you're at the window that lets you select between PXO and TCP/IP, you should be able to bring up a new window for entering IP addresses... you're hilighting TCP/IP and clicking the okay button, right? I just checked, and this does work when running d3 on OSX through classic mode.

Hope you get it working.
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *Javed* »

So what ever happened to the version that was going to be released for OS X?
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

*Javed* wrote:So what ever happened to the version that was going to be released for OS X?
Not a Clue Javed. The person who was supposedly working on it has not been heard from in quite some Time now. Las we heard (the Mac D3 community), he had just had a baby. My suggestion would to check w/Nagrome over w/ the Mac Clan.

Fus
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

Yeah, if anyone would know, it'd be Nagromme. He's usually hooked up. Last I knew, anyway, I've basically been AWOL from the Mac Clan for a long time. :oops: :oops: :oops: