Conflict of IP address

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Conflict of IP address

Post by pipsqueak10 »

I have 3 comps on a wireless network. One is wired directly to the modem and router(linksys). The two other comps have wireless adapters. I've had the network for at least two years without a problem. However, now whenever I have two of the comps connected to the internet simultaneously I get a "conflict for IP address xx.xx.xxx.xx with the system having hardware adress blah blah blah blah." error What gives?
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Check the IP Addresses of all of your machines and make sure each has a unique IP address. If two of the machines have the same IP, change the 4th octet number to something inbetween 1-254.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Just have all the pc's automatically get the IP's via DHCP with the router.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Just have all the pc's automatically get the IP's via DHCP with the router.
Yup, that worked for me ... same config (1 node hardwired to router, 2 wireless nodes).
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

I have a similar problem: 3 pc's on a network which runs fine. If I have a LAN with 2 other people, I get the "network conflict" message.
However, I use generic IPs for the LANs (192.168.1.xx), and all of the machines have a different IP...however, my wife's machine ALWAYS gives me that error when I hook up the LAN....I have no idea why this happens....

--not trying to hijack this thread, just concurring... :|
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Either set ALL PC's to use DHCP or manually set ALL PC's to a 192 IP range and you won't have ANY problems.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Thanks for all the advice. Here's how I fixed it. I did absolutely nothing, made no adjustments whatsoever and the error message just went away. :lol:
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Pip, I'd suggest doing one of the two things I suggested. Your problem will come back again.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Yup, you're right, it came back. How exactly do I have all the pc's automatically get the IP's via DHCP with the router?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

The router should already be setup for it unless it was turned off. FOr the PC's, just go into TCP/IP properties and select "automatically assign IP" or something similar. Make sure nothing is check or any IP entered. Then reboot each PC.
Garner
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Garner »

Assuming your wireless network is secured? Does your wireless point/router let you see the wireless clients connected?

Just wondering if someone else was connecting to your network... :!:
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Okay, she's fixed. Internet properties say the address type is assigned by DHCP on all comps. Thanks for the help.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Must say, that for small home networks, I prefer to disable DHCP, just because I can always remember what IP addies the various boxes are.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I have my computers on static IPs because I run programs and servers that require open ports.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Mobius wrote:Must say, that for small home networks, I prefer to disable DHCP, just because I can always remember what IP addies the various boxes are.
Get IP2 http://keir.net Will tell you external and internal IP within seconds
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Krom wrote:I have my computers on static IPs because I run programs and servers that require open ports.
X2
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Get IP2 http://keir.net Will tell you external and internal IP within seconds
Internal IP: Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig (WinNT/2K/XP)
Start > Run > winipcfg (Win9x/Me)

External IP: http://www.whatismyip.com
firewire0000000
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

?¿?

Post by firewire0000000 »

how u doing i dont know if this will help but i had wireless network and i couldnt have one machine hard wired it either had to be all wireless computer or no wireless at all... so try running the all wireless
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

GD, do any of you people read the manuals anymore?

in fact with all routers you just plug it in. DEFAULTS do the rest!
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

My Network Places->View Connections. Right click on the connection being used (WiLAN or LAN), then go to properties. Either choose all to get the IP address or manually assign all. If you choose all to get the IP address (recommended) (also known as DHCP), then after that
Start->Run->cmd
type "ipconfig /renew" on all computers.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re: ?¿?

Post by CDN_Merlin »

firewire0000000 wrote:how u doing i dont know if this will help but i had wireless network and i couldnt have one machine hard wired it either had to be all wireless computer or no wireless at all... so try running the all wireless
I have 3 PC's wired and 1 laptop wireless. All on the same router and it all works fine. Read the manual and do some research you will have no problems getting them all to work.