What? Tsunami in California Too?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I can't find that thread but last week or so there was a discussion on the potential east coast tsunami. Anyhow, evidently there is a possibility of a west coast tsunami too ... It's nice to know that I live 700 ft above sea level hundreds of miles away from the shorelines ...

http://cnn.aimtoday.cnn.com/news/story. ... tm&sc=1501
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

The tsunami reached California after bouncing off of various continents. The wave that reached San Diego was 8 inches high.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Hey Lobber, you live in San Diego? I grew up there.
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Repo Man »

Hey, I live in San Diego also.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Not the same tsunami SKIMMER!
The danger rests just 50 miles off the West Coast in a 680-mile undersea fault known as the Cascadia subduction zone that behaves much like one that ruptured off Sumatra.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

This doesn't look good for Californians!
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Every coastal region is susceptible to events influenced by tectonic activity. As well as inland areas. None of us are safe, live with it :P
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

But if we don't blow ourselves up us Californians will just have to worry about breaking off to go hang with Hawaii.

Alaska can come too.

Word.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

I love that.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Dark Falcon wrote:This doesn't look good for Californians!
You apparently didn't watch a certain program on the Discovery Channel. Theres an island off the coast of Africa that has a mountain thats a ticking timebomb. Once the side of that puppy collapses into the sea...lets just say that it'll make a tsunami so powerful it'll make the one that killed all those thousands of people look like a fart in a bathtub. (Ok, maybe not THAT powerful, but it'll kill alot more people and do a hell of alot more damage.)
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Every coastal region is susceptible to events influenced by tectonic activity. As well as inland areas. None of us are safe, live with it
I dunno, unless you count skin cancer we are pretty damn safe Ty :P
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

No I live in the Bay Area.
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

Yeah, we got all of San Francisco and parts of Oakland to deaden the blow to us lobber :D
MehYam
DBB Head Flapper
DBB Head Flapper

Post by MehYam »

Don't forget the giant caldera volcano in Yellowstone that will wipe out everything in the western US in a single blast. We got it good out here!
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Gooberman wrote:I dunno, unless you count skin cancer we are pretty damn safe Ty :P
I hate the summer time. Don't remind me :P
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you want to be safe, live in Antarctica. :P
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

or Arizona. Our weathermen have the easiest job ever. Today: Sunny with Clear Skies. Tommarow: Well, we got Sunny, and also some clear skies. Now for the 5 day forcast! You only need one friggin graphic.

It's like, every channel in AZ boasts that "our weatherman is right 90% of the time." well no ★■◆●, if you said "Sunny, clear skies" every day you would be right 90% of the time.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Don't forget about the continental shelf on the east coast of the USA. There's a very large section which is due to literally fall off, and land 10,000 feet lower. When this happens, computer modelling shows tidals waves in excess of 50 metres high...

Mark my words, this tsunami is just the start, and I predict there'll be one that kills over a million people (just in the initial flooding) within 10 years. Within 20 years I predict one which will kill 10,000,000 people.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Where's the "STFU mobius" pics when you need em? ;)

Seriously, inland you have tornadoes. Not fun characters to live with; especially when you can get 5-6 of them a year. There is no place on the earth safe from natural disaster. It's only a matter of time before a huge one happens, and a lot of people get hurt. If we wanted to stay safe, we'd be living in giant padded boxes in orbit around a dead planet with no chance of any space debris or orbit changes. :P
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Mobius is right about this; these disasters are only the beginning. Whether you believe it or not the earth is going through major changes.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Only the beginning of what? Back in the age of reptiles, the single mass of land completely divided to form the continents we know today. That's cataclysmic change. Earth, just like nature, is always changing (dare I say evolving?). That's just a fact and there's little we can do about it.

Anything bad ever happen in North Dakota? :P
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

YES! It borders canada.

You poor people
Zoop!
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Zoop! »

Wherever you go, you can die from something, whether it be tsunamis, hurricanes, major earthquakes, asteroids, the sun becoming a red giant, etc.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Call this Evolution if you like but this is only the tip of the iceberg. Scientist having proven there will be major earthquakes along with other changes to our planet. Thereâ??s a bone chilling side to all of this if I where to bring religion into this topic. But I would be breaking the DBB rules, and this isnâ??t the Ethics and Commentary forum so Iâ??ll leave that out. All Iâ??m going to say I wouldnâ??t take these disasters lightly.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Shift happens.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Lol Bash.
Anything bad ever happen in North Dakota?
Lol funny you should bring it up, I'm just reading a book about a North Dakotan disaster, "The Children's Blizzard"

We have Earthquakes all the time, this one just happened to be larger than most. What makes everyone think that it's time for something to happen? Links? This sounds really interesting.
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

MD-2389 wrote:Theres an island off the coast of Africa that has a mountain thats a ticking timebomb.
La Palma... it's a beautiful island, by the way.

Yep, OT.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

you poor attention whores are just feeling left out :twisted:
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:Mobius is right about this; these disasters are only the beginning. Whether you believe it or not the earth is going through major changes.
According to the book of Revelation, you both could be dead right ... no pun intended.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

As others have said, earthquakes happen every single day of the year. This one just happened to be much larger than most, and infinitely more tragic and catastrophic. I'm not buying into the whole Armageddon/Day after Tomorrow argument. One quake does not the end of the world make.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

Face it... California is going to fall off the coast some day so everyone needs to start purchasing land a couple hundred miles in-land.

RC
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

California has earthquakes constantly. Just never feel them.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

It's the same in the central U.S. (almost constant un-felt earthquakes) where I live. I've lived here almost 28 years, and I've never felt one, although I occasionally hear about minor ones.

Oh, and what's the deal with all this apocalyptic stuff? :roll:
Nitrofox125 wrote:But if we don't blow ourselves up us Californians will just have to worry about breaking off to go hang with Hawaii...
MehYam wrote:Don't forget the giant caldera volcano in Yellowstone that will wipe out everything in the western US in a single blast...
Mobius wrote:There's a very large section which is due to literally fall off, and land 10,000 feet lower. When this happens, computer modelling shows tidals waves in excess of 50 metres high...
Mark my words, this tsunami is just the start, and I predict there'll be one that kills over a million people (just in the initial flooding) within 10 years. Within 20 years I predict one which will kill 10,000,000 people.
TigerRaptorFX wrote:Mobius is right about this; these disasters are only the beginning...
Richard Cranium wrote:Face it... California is going to fall off the coast some day...
We need to be aware of the dangers around us, and we can't be careless, but I'm with these guys:
Top Gun wrote:One quake does not the end of the world make.
Stryker wrote:If we wanted to stay safe, we'd be living in giant padded boxes in orbit around a dead planet with no chance of any space debris or orbit changes. :P
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Foil, just to let you know, that first quote by Nitrofox is from a certain famous Flash animation. "Hokay...so..." :P
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I guess I missed that one, since the quote didn't sound familiar. Do you happen to know where I might find it?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Here you go: End of the World
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Damnéd, that is a sweet Earth you might say

HROUND
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Mobius wrote:Don't forget about the continental shelf on the east coast of the USA. There's a very large section which is due to literally fall off, and land 10,000 feet lower. When this happens, computer modelling shows tidals waves in excess of 50 metres high...
Eh? Where?
Foil wrote:
MehYam wrote:Don't forget the giant caldera volcano in Yellowstone that will wipe out everything in the western US in a single blast...
We need to be aware of the dangers around us, and we can't be careless, but I'm with these guys:
Top Gun wrote:One quake does not the end of the world make.
If a major earthquake like the Asia one struck tomorrow in Yellowstone, that would be the end of your world, Mr. Central USA. :|
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Heh... little do people know that New York sits on a fault line. We had an earthquake last year (two years ago?).