Sidewinder Competitors?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

This was back during the DOS/Win3.1/Win95/Win98 days. D1x and D2x calibrate through windows and for the most part the sensetivity is "ok". But before D1x or D2x you could only calibrate through D1 or D2 and It's still slower then when we used to undercalibrate.
zapp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zapp »

Long live the 3D Pro!
Only one thing I'd like to add to this discussion- When you've been using your 3D Pro for 6 years of hard gaming, it might be time to tighten it up and give it that new feel again.
<plug>
http://www.cc.utah.edu/~dlg7/sidewinder/repair.html
</plug>

I've been using my 3d Pro for 7 years, and have never had a problem- all the buttons are fine, works great in XP for D1X, D2x and D3. Just have to do a little spring tightening (above URL) to keep it like new. Be sure to check out the frankenstick mod I did to make the lower handle button more accessable.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Mobius wrote:Honestly: 9 Years old joysticks? You are living in a fool's paradise.
9 year old joysticks aren't so bad in the context of a 6 year old game! :D
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

Just to add my two bits to the discussion of newer generation sticks, I've been flying with the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for over a year. And, yes, I've had to replace/rma a dozen of them. And it was always because the X axis went bad. Their pots are the pits. Recently the up hat went bad and it turned out to be a broken solder joint. A quick drop of solder and all was fixed.

Now, with the last two sticks I've had replaced, one from Walmart and one from Logitech, I've noted they don't say "Extreme 3D Pro" on the base sticker. They say "Wingman Attack" and the model and part numbers are different. Maybe there have been some changes made because the first one has lasted for three months before the X axis went bad. I will be calling Logitech tomorrow to rma that one. I have yet to break out the second one. Hopefully, as in the last two cases, they won't ask me to return the defective stick so I will have another to canabalize for parts as I've been doing lately.

And, for those of you who wonder why I've gone this long suffering with these sticks, it's because I love how they feel. I've never had another stick that feels so tight and precise. And I've been through a fair share of sticks.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Right. You chose a notoriously un-durable joystick though; I've heard no end of tales of grief from them.

But at least they're cheap.
Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Post by Sup »

nt
Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Post by Sup »

Yeah, out of the ones I've looked at this one - at least on paper - looked like it would have the best feel.

I dont plan on haveing a lot of time to play even if I do come out of retirement, so maybe this will take my abuse to make it worthwhile

Deadmeat wrote: I have yet to break out the second one. Hopefully, as in the last two cases, they won't ask me to return the defective stick so I will have another to canabalize for parts as I've been doing lately.

And, for those of you who wonder why I've gone this long suffering with these sticks, it's because I love how they feel. I've never had another stick that feels so tight and precise. And I've been through a fair share of sticks.
Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Post by Sup »

kufyit wrote:I'll send you a used one for free, Sup.
hey man! whassup! long time bro ..

SH*t I might just take you up on that. Hell maybe you can ship it COD and I'll pay for the shipping. PM me anyway havent heard from u in years
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

watSup!
Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Post by Sup »

Vander wrote:watSup!
hahaha dam son now that is reaching way back! :D

like, 11 years later and my nick online is always the same with varations - and it all started with that gei name ... lol ...

how u been bro?
Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Post by Sup »

ok nice:

yeah that was the other thing. I busted out the
center mechanism in the base on a few of them ...

most likely trying to survive xciter, del, and peart in dogfights ... lol ...

what about the hat contacts tho? is there any way
to repair or replace those?
zapp wrote:Long live the 3D Pro!
Only one thing I'd like to add to this discussion- When you've been using your 3D Pro for 6 years of hard gaming, it might be time to tighten it up and give it that new feel again.
<plug>
http://www.cc.utah.edu/~dlg7/sidewinder/repair.html
</plug>

I've been using my 3d Pro for 7 years, and have never had a problem- all the buttons are fine, works great in XP for D1X, D2x and D3. Just have to do a little spring tightening (above URL) to keep it like new. Be sure to check out the frankenstick mod I did to make the lower handle button more accessable.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Sup wrote:what about the hat contacts tho? is there any way
to repair or replace those?
You can easily replace them. DigiKey carries them Omron switches :)
Schlee
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Schlee »

The fact remains, that the glorious SW 3D Pro is the best stick ever made.
Contrary to Mobius' statements, this stick is more accurate than any other stick I've tried since.

It has no center deadzone to screw up control. It is very quick indeed, due to short axis lengths.
It allows you to use small, precice hand movements, as opposed to large unwieldy arm movements, for accurate control.
The non-anatomical handle design was only an advantage - the hand-shaped handles never achieve the intentions, just make the sticks more prone to make the hand slip around it - move the thumb off the thumb-"pit" and it gets unstable.

The quirks of getting it to work is worth the effort.
The only negative thing about it was - button durability.

Alas, it is dead. It is a shame and a sin, but it is so. Living in Sweden, it's not as easy to buy one - I found one on a swedish auction site, but it was for the macintosh....

It was a great friend, and I mourn its demise.¨

I tried the logitech 3d pro as well - after three weeks the twist axis went haywire, living a life of it's own. Not to mention the hat.

Why can't they (the game controller manufacturers) build a good robust stick that doesn't break down? I'd pay more for a stick that doesn't break down after two months... Imagine if a fighter pilot suddenly discovered that a button malfunctions, or an axis has gone whack ;-)

The king is dead - long live the king!
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »