Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Bose...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Stupid
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Bose...

Post by Stupid »

Will be out in one month! Who here is getting it the day it comes out? I know I sure am! I've been anxiously awaiting it's arrival since fall of '03, when I played the first Episode. Even if Final Fantasy XII was still coming out the same day, I would be getting Xenosaga E^2 instead. I hear the gameplay has been improved in some ways, yet destroyed in others. Hopefully it all turns out for the better. Unfortunately, they took away the anime-esque graphics and put in slightly more realistic ones, as well. And a slight bummer is that all that hard-earned clear save data (if you still have it) is only worth secondary clothing options for your characters in the second game. As long as the story stays as awesome as it was in the first one, all should be fine, though.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Ya, I can't wait, but I dunno when I'll pick it up.
Bills suck. :|
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I'm going to be picking it up, but I hear that it may suck. The OST was rather disappointing too.
Coolcat
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Coolcat »

It will get a rent from me, im not paying $50 for ~20 hours of dumbed down gameplay no matter how good the story might be.

GT4 and ff12 here I come. 8)
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

I highly doubt it'll be 20 hours.
Probably more in the line ot 60+, which is worth the money IMO.
Coolcat
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Coolcat »

try to be informed before posting. =x

psm review states "20-25 hours including movies".
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

I'd read an article about it in Newtype USA and thought I'd remembered seeing 60+ in it... I wouldn't post a time if I had no clue... :|
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Xenosaga was one of the worst sequels I've ever played to any game. Far, far worse than Chrono Cross. Not only was it melodramatic to the hilt, but it took itself so seriously it was laughable. Much like a certain other sci-fi franchise (*cough* Star Wars *cough*).

Too bad people put so much emphasis on game length these days. A ten hour game that's highly replayable will trump a sixty hour game full of ridiculous side quests.
Stupid
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stupid »

Kyouryuu wrote:Xenosaga was one of the worst sequels I've ever played to any game. Far, far worse than Chrono Cross. Not only was it melodramatic to the hilt, but it took itself so seriously it was laughable. Much like a certain other sci-fi franchise (*cough* Star Wars *cough*).

Too bad people put so much emphasis on game length these days. A ten hour game that's highly replayable will trump a sixty hour game full of ridiculous side quests.
Funny that how I have (in my top 10 RPGs) Xenosaga at #1, and Chrono Cross at #4 (behind FFX and FFT, respectively). I thought Xenogears was a crock, and from what I've read, most fans of Xenogears thought Xenosaga was WAY better than the crappy PS1 game. Granted, I did play Xenogears after Xenosaga, so my opinion is biased in the department of my own personal opinion, but it would have been FAR greater to actually be able to PLAY the game once you got to the 2nd Disc, and actually had the necessity to develop your characters more so that you could beat the bosses. Even the game's director said he didn't get to "make Xenogears the way I wanted to, as I was rushed into finishing the game to be put to market". I just hope that they justify what Xenogears COULD have been when they remake it in Episode IV. (Based on a 300 page comprehensive book on the series (how, I'm not sure, since it's not all out), the games are going to be 6 episodes long, with #1 and #2 being the same time period, #3 being 500 years before Xenogears, #4 being Xenogears, and #5 and #6 some time after. Though I got the distinct impression that by the time the Eldridge crashed, humans had enough understanding of the Zohar to have been able to link it to their weapon "Deus", and we aren't near that (unless it's being revealed in the 2nd game). And how could Playstation Magazine have a review of the US game? I heard the movies were considerably shorter, but to say the whole game is 25 hours long doesn't seem to justify the 4 years it took for them to make the game. I definitely hope that you are wrong on that point, or I'll be sorely disappointed.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

I value story above all.
I'd rather a game with 60+ hours of storyline (however presented) over a 10 hour game with replayability as far as RPGs go.

I loved Xenogears, I loved Xenosaga.

And I loved Chrono Cross too. :P
Stupid
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stupid »

Defender wrote:I value story above all.
I'd rather a game with 60+ hours of storyline (however presented) over a 10 hour game with replayability as far as RPGs go.

I loved Xenogears, I loved Xenosaga.

And I loved Chrono Cross too. :P
Amen, Defender, that's why I have FFT up there, and why I don't even have FF7 on my top 10 list. Everyone said the story in FF7 was awesome, but I kinda thought it was dull. It could be that I need to replay the game, and my view on it may change, but still, it didn't impress me much my first time though, and I thought FF8's story was better. I would far prefer to play though a game that has impossibly slow battles (FFT, and in some minds, Xenosaga, apparently), but an excellent story, than to play though a game that has no story.
I hear an underrated/cult classic game that is well worth playing is "Disgaea". Have any of you guys played that game? My friend says that the voice-acting in it is superior to that of any game he's ever played (though he hasn't played Xenosaga), and it's satirically funny, to boot.
And Coolcat, I'd love to know what "Playstation Magazine" you read that said Xenosaga was only 20 hours long. I bought the latest issue, and they don't have any mention of Episode 2 at all. If anything, I am willing to bet is that what they said was "There was only 20-25 hours of story in Episode 2 (compared to the 35+ in Episode 1)", not that it was a 20-25 hour game. I know that I *did* read that they dropped the CGI from 8+ hours in Episode 1 down to like 5 hours for Episode 2, so even then, that would leave hardly any gameplay in Episode 2 if it's truly 20 hours. So I'd say that if it's compared to Episode 1 in the regards of playing time, it should take 20-25 hours of non-story to beat it. (As that is what the first one was, without the story).
Regarding Preorders of Episode 2, I am definitely hoping to score on that Namco-released 4+ hour DVD of highlights of the story from Episode 1 (a recap for those that have forgotten or havent' played the first one). GameCrazy says they "should" get it, but that they probably won't get it until Episode 2 gets shipped. Has anyone else heard an actual release date for the Preorder DVD? I only read about it in the Electronic Gaming Monthly.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

What's this about a highlights DVD?
That sounds really cool.
Who do you have to preorder with, or does it matter?
Coolcat
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Coolcat »

PSM issue 94.
picture of the psp on the cover.
page...79.

I have not played disgaea, as im not a huge fan of the tactical combat. however like you, I have heard good things about the game and others by the developers.

FF7 gets alot of support for best story because one of the characters dies. also who cares HOW good a story is if the characters are lame. ff7 was filled with great characters...I never thought I would be playing as a dog . :lol:

on the pre-order dvd, there is an add for it in psm. only info it adds is *available through select retailers only while suppiles last. coming febuary 2005.
Stupid
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stupid »

That's pretty much what I read about the preorder hightlight DVD, Coolcat, it both EGM and PSM they say it's available through select retailers. I preordered mine at GameCrazy before I found out about it, though, but when I asked them about it they said they should get the hightlights DVD, and that it would "probably be with the game when you pick it up". I kinda think it sucks I have to wait that long to see this highlights DVD, but oh well, it's not like I need it since I just beat Episode I again anyway. I mainly want the DVD because my dad LOVES Sci-fi, and I told him about this game, but he doesn't have the time to sit around and play video games any more, as he'd rather read his SciFi anyway. That, and I always wished I had a video recorder so that I could sit record all the FMVs and watch them later (or show them to my dad). Granted, this DVD won't have ALL of them, but I'm sure there isn't any wasted space, if it highlights the whole story in "only 4 hours".
Stupid
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stupid »

Okay, okay, I read the "20-25 hours" thing that PSM stated, but what they were saying/suggesting, is that it is an EASIER game to play, there isn't any leveling up needed, and they are only taking into consideration a "speed" or "fast" player, one who doesn't stop and take the time to admire the scenery, play the BONUS DUNGEONS, and do the other sidequests (however linear they may be). I would be willing to bet that it will take *me* at least 40 hours to beat it, and hopefully around the 60 hour range, as I am the type of player that is THOROUGH. (Take Final Fantasy Tactics, I played through it, didn't get everyone, then played through it again and got so advanced with Ramza that he could have won the last 4 or 5 fights (however many there are in the end) all by himself as a calculator, without getting hit even once.)) Also, if you got that issue of PSM, I am sure you must have taken the time to watch the preview DVD that came with it, which has between 10-15 minutes of Episode II gameplay, which shows that this game EASILY one-ups any other PS2 game on the market in terms of graphics, even Episode I. I thought in Ep. I, the in-game (non-FMV) graphics were near-FMV quality, but there are parts of Ep. II that there's no way you could tell the difference between FMV and walk-around without looking at the game's script.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I'm actually playing through Xenosaga right now to refresh on the story before I begin Episode II.

When you don't compare it to Xenogears, it is a pretty nice game. Either way I'm looking forward to seeing this series to completion.
Stupid
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stupid »

I was just telling a friend that Xenosaga and Chrono Cross are linked in a similar manner: Both are similar to a Final Fantasy game. There was NEVER a sequel to a Final Fantasy game until FFX-2, even though they called the games "FF 1, 2, 3, etc." It's the same way with Chrono Cross... people who were fans of CT (who wasn't?) were expecting an exact sequel to CT, which would be impossible unless you took some lame excuse of a plot twist to do it. Therefore, you get a game with the Chrono name in it, that has almost nothing to do with Chrono Trigger (just the time-shifting aspect), that as a stand-alone game is very good, and far too many people took it as a serious SEQUEL. Just think of it this way... if they tried to make a true sequel to CT, they would screw it up majorly, just like they did with FFX-2. The twist would be totally lame, like "ooh, the final boss figured out how to warp in time to save itself, now Chrono has to figure a new way to beat him, possibly ruining the WHOLE SPACE-TIME CONTINUUM!!!!!!""""!!!""" Fanboys should be glad they didn't trash the game's glory by doing that. But the same goes for Xenosaga: Fanboys thought Episode 1 would be a direct sequel to Xenogears, even though they were WARNED that it wasn't at all, that it was a prequel that took place far before that time. So basically, Xenosaga is a stand-alone game, that by Episode 3 should be wrapping up the tie-ins to Xenogears (as Episode 4 is supposed to be the time of the crash, or maybe 500 years before Xenogears, and Episode 5 is the remake of Xenogears itself, and Episode 6 being a true sequel (like I say, hope they don't screw that one up). Though I also hear that by the time they remake Xenogears, that it will likely be completely different from the first one, only following the general plotline because the director himself has stated that he quite simply ran out of time to make Xenogears what he wanted it to be (hence no gameplay in disc 2), and that Xenosaga is far closer to what he had plans/dreams of doing with the game/series.
Stupid
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stupid »

Roughly 36 hours before I get my copy (won't be here until Wednesday)... I can't wait, as I'll then hole myself up in my room for a LONG time (pure happenstance gives me Wednesday and Thursday off from work). WHEE :roll:
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I got some kinda weird automated voice on my answering machine informing me that my copy will be into Gamestop tomarrow. Yay.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Hmm, the interface is a little clunky and they changed the character voice actors for quite a few of the cast. The actors themselves seem a bit more dramatic like they are trying to hard perhaps.

The music now fills every area which a nice change from hours of silence except for your own footsteps. Most of the music leaves a bit to be desired but it is tolerable. The opening scene with the fight over Miltia City reminded me of the battle sequence from Xenogears with the battle over Aveh Capital.

I would also like to add that 90% of the characters look pretty damn goofy. I dunno why they changed so much.

Unless you are a fan of the Xenosaga series and how it might tie into Xenogears in Episode 5, I wouldn't recomend wasting your cash on this.
Coolcat
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Coolcat »

Called it. :P
Stupid
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stupid »

Gameplay sucks, too large of a variation in sound (voice acting to gameplay, I have to turn the volume up/down according to what I am doing), VERY SLOW loading times in between "maps", frequent pauses in the middle of a map (WHY?), and a completely messed up battle system that makes me scream WHY, MONOLITH SOFT, WHY!!!!?!?!??? The only reason I am playing the game is for the story, which is still very good to this point. Oh, and I've already played 25 hours, and I just got to the second disc, so someone would have to be CRAZY-FAST to beat the game in 20-25 hours, unless of course they are skipping through all the cutscenes (which, despite rumors, there has EASILY been as much (if not more) FMV than in the last game). Unfortunately, because of the story, I will still be highly anticipating the next game (at this point in time, we'll see if my view changes by the end).
Stupid
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stupid »

Oh, BTW... I was just one of those evil fanboys that didn't like the subtle changes made to my favorite game... I look back and love the game (though too complex of a battle system), and thought they couldn't have done the end any better ESP the symbolism of *you know who* being lifted into the heavens in a crucifixion-type manner upon his death. I bawled... :)

Episode 3 supposedly comes out in August, before FFXII even, when Episode 2 was originally supposed to come out the same day as FFXII.... what a freaking delay on FFXII.... it's a crock...
"The Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan, another example of awesomeness in its purest form.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Necropost from the dead!

Meh, Xenosaga. Hated it. Surprised they're actually going to make it to number three. It's one of the most boring and self-pretentious games I've ever played.