Fix your damn avatars

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

YGM Ace.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

<font face="Arial" size="3">And it's actually rather disrespectful.</font>
How is it disrespectful? it's not as if it prevents the rest of the board from loading..
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Ferno:
How is it disrespectful? it's not as if it prevents the rest of the board from loading..</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does if they're using netscape 4.x. Image
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

My icon's 64.3 kb, and nobody's mentioned that its too big, so piss off.

(unless anyone wants to help a brotha out and make it smaller somehow... apparently its gonna have to be smaller to work on the new DBB Image)
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

< 9k.

(Use your own hosting).
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Netscape blows and everyone knows that. Image
Gavotte
Catcher of the cliché
Catcher of the cliché

Post by Gavotte »

Ferno, shut up. Your wrong... when this happened before sickone basicly said, change it or we'll change it for you. It's that bleeping simple... here's to hoping you'll be able to wrap your wasted brain around it.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

o_O
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

I worked my l33t PSP skills and concocted myself a new icon. 2.54k Image
I was tired of the dogleg tranny pattern...
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Mine is now fixed. Was 36K now like 8K. Didn't even realize it.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by AceCombat:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK! YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!!!! some people do want to see them Image like my zoomed in pic of janets titty</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do? Personally I don't find a black woman who looks like she needs a tan to match her face that attractive Image Hey, but since you probably think you're her boyfriend, whatever floats your boat Image
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

she looks like a ****ing man. shes not hot. shes a ****ing MTV hoser. get over it.

i know guys with prettier faces.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

<--------
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Enough about the damn Janet Jackson boob debacle. It happened, theres nothing you can do about it so drop it. Now.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Thanks Tetrad.
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by MD-2389:
33.6 - 56k actually, but who cares? Limit is 15kB regardless. I don't know why this is so damn hard to comprehend for some people. Of course this wouldn't be an issue if SOMEONE would bother to check their e-mail mailbox and send Topher the info he needs. Image (Avatars will be upload to this server only. No hotlinking at all.)</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

god, you ppl want all the control don't ya?

it's no wonder ppl who have been here forever who AREN'T mods leave. bunch of pushover ****s for mods these days.

yeah you've heard it before... wah wah wah... but I have only this to say, "it's getting stagnant here people! ..|.,"
lighten the hell up already, you can only cry about so many things before it gets retarded.
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

Seriously though. If it doesn't directly affect me or my ability to drink my coffee in the morning... I don't give a sh!t.

Just don't be a liberal and we coo.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Do you really think you are so important and crucial that you simply must have an icon 30x larger than the majority of rule-abiding users? That's why it's disrespectful. Certainly, they are of no consequence to my browsing experience since I'm on broadband. I'm just thinking about the dial-up users and those on metered Internet access here (who might just conceivably be using those ancient Netscape browsers). It just seems rude to have an icon 30x larger than everyone else's and then whine and complain when the "gestapo" mods don't let you as if, on a private bulletin board, it's some God-given "right" or "freedom" you're entitled to. It's extremely petty and something I'd expect from an AOL newbie, not a rational adult.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Gammaray:
<b> god, you ppl want all the control don't ya?

it's no wonder ppl who have been here forever who AREN'T mods leave. bunch of pushover ****s for mods these days.

yeah you've heard it before... wah wah wah... but I have only this to say, "it's getting stagnant here people! ..|.,"
lighten the hell up already, you can only cry about so many things before it gets retarded.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awww, porbre citro! Image

Seriously though, the upload only on the new BB is being done for a reason. See, Tetrad and Krom found an interesting problem that might've arrisen here. Lets say you hotlinked to a perfectly legitimate image. You know, 64x64, 15kB, etc. Now over-write that image on the server with something else. Guess what happens next. Thats right. It'll display the image just like you slapped it on an HTML document or embedded it into a post. THATS why its going to be upload only.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Yes, but if PHPBB had the option of forcing 64x64 it wouldnt be a problem.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

are we going to be able to use our sigs again on the new BB? *waits for stuff to get thrown at him* Image
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

<-- confused

Image resizing is an HTML thing. As it's coded in the DBB now:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">code:</font><HR><pre>
img src="http://crappyserver.com/w00t.gif" width=64 height=64
</pre><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forces any image to be 64 by 64. Nothing to do with CGI/PHP.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Topher:
Image resizing is an HTML thing.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It only fits the physical dimensions of an image into a rectangle defined by those dimensions, and doesn't do anything against large file sizes. And it doesn't allow people to have avatars that are different ratios without adding padding on one side or the other.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

heh... i knew that.

So why doesnt the new DBB do that?! Image
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

Im with Gamma on this..not that anyone cares but this place sucks....if its not one thing its another...

How bout instead of crying you guys just handle business and remove the offending avatars..

Everyone here at the dbb is so fkn uptight...and everyone here "knows best"..this place is a wasteland of wannabe minigods..

Aside from d3 resources here the only reason to even come here is to listen to ace lie his a** off..

I think if you dont play d3 you shouldnt even be allowed to open your mouth here...

Thats why i like pxo..you get to bash people in real time..
no time for winded rants like this one and all the others around here..

now go ahead and blast me you losers Image
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Tetrad:
It only fits the physical dimensions of an image into a rectangle defined by those dimensions, and doesn't do anything against large file sizes. And it doesn't allow people to have avatars that are different ratios without adding padding on one side or the other.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going to say that's a good thing. It keeps it consistent. Different sized avatars are distracting. The point is to have something personal about you while keeping the text response as the focus.

Either way, people will still be able to create freakin' huge avatars that are 64x64. Look at Duper's for crying out loud. (Imagine it's 64x64 and not slightly bigger Image )

Padding isn't a big deal, in gif format, that will hardly affect file size.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

blah, ive never used a animated avatar, dont care to. so ima just STFU and go somewere else
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Topher:
I'm going to say that's a good thing. It keeps it consistent. Different sized avatars are distracting. The point is to have something personal about you while keeping the text response as the focus.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With the way phpbb is set up, you can upload an avatar any ratio up to any single dimension being whatever you set it as. It's hardly distracting to have different sized ones compared to, say, animated ones.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by *JBOMB*:
How bout instead of crying you guys just handle business and remove the offending avatars..</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

People whine and complain about people editing their posts, of course they're going to complain if you just remove their avatars. And besides, only admins can do that.

I'm just reminding people.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Tyranny:
are we going to be able to use our sigs again on the new BB? *waits for stuff to get thrown at him* Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim (Xciter) said sigs were coming back some time ago, only he never got around to enabling them. However, knowing how he changes his mind...I'm not saying yay/nay. However, I'm leaving sigs enabled on the test site.

Now, there is a mod that will allow you to disable the viewing of user avatars and signatures in your profile. This would be available to test on the test site if we had access to the SQL database.

JBOMB: You forget that only admins have access to the panel and only THEY can remove someone's avatar. All moderators can do is open/close/move/delete threads and delete individual posts.

"I think if you dont play d3 you shouldnt even be allowed to open your mouth here..."

And you say WE'RE uptight? Thats about the most damn arrogant thing you've said.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

what's funny is that people think this is the mods making a grab for power -- as if, when Neitzl ran the Cafe, you could do whatever you wanted, and MD and Tetrad are evil nazi control freaks. Mods on this board are more laid-back than ever, and certain users complain more and more about how nazi they are. What a bunch of pansies.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

i like laser beams and 7th level dragon masters spells.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Lothar:
what's funny is that people think this is the mods making a grab for power -- as if, when Neitzl ran the Cafe, you could do whatever you wanted, and MD and Tetrad are evil nazi control freaks. Mods on this board are more laid-back than ever, and certain users complain more and more about how nazi they are. What a bunch of pansies.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quoting for truth.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Ok, I tihnk this thread needs locking. Nothing but BS in here now.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

OK maybe the dont play d3 shouldnt open mouth comment was a bit much Image

And yes i was under the assumption that the same people trying to enforce the rules also had the ability to actually enforce them.

I too agree that duper's avatar is like....the size of a nice flash website Image and that a uniform avatar rule 64x64 no greater than 15kb is appropriate.

I just think it should go down like this instead of all the arguing:

"Avatars are to be kept at 64x64 and no larger than 15kb in file size...Those people that dont fix their non-compliant avatars will find they no longer have an avatar after "such and such" date."

That is a very straight forward way of making sure people comply.
And leaves little room for argument.

Is there a way on this BB to disable only one persons ability to have an avatar?...would be great if you could turn off ones avatar as punishment for breaking the avatar rule.

I guarantee you everyone would all of a sudden have a compliant avatar. Image
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

maybe we could just replace non-compliant avatars with insulting ones, like Stress did to the one bandwidth leech... we could even write a slogan like OJ's lawyers did.

"if your avatar's over 15K
tomorrow it will say you're gay"
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Lothar:
what's funny is that people think this is the mods making a grab for power -- as if, when Neitzl ran the Cafe, you could do whatever you wanted, and MD and Tetrad are evil nazi control freaks. Mods on this board are more laid-back than ever, and certain users complain more and more about how nazi they are. What a bunch of pansies.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. I'm a hell of alot more laid back than some of the mods on forums I visit daily, so nobody has any room for complaint about any of us being "nazis". NONE. Tetrad is even more laid back than I am. Some complain that they want things back to the way they used to be. I got news for ya, if they were then half of the **** that goes on in this form wouldn't. If threads were the least bit spammy, they got locked on the spot. No questions asked, and if anyone complained, so freakin' what.

Just some food for thought. Image
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

I could just start "moosing" people. Image
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Gavotte.. don't make me smack you.
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

I find it insulting that the "man" who is bitching about avatoars was HIMSELF considering putting a NAZI SYMBOL as his avatar just a few weeks ago. I say shove all the avatar bullsh!t up your azz.

I find very few things, if any, more insulting than the nazi propaganda that you wanted to put as a symbol of yourself here on the DBB.

Edit me if you want to, but, you are the one who wanted to post that kinda shiz.